Samurai 7

IFC (ended 2006)

Samurai 7 Fan Reviews (26)

• A Half Dull Half Good Samurai Animation

Well, Samurai Seven was, in the end, a good show. But that's not to say it didn't have many problems. Animated by Gonzo, a company who's animation ranges from awful to amazing at different times and often uses CGI, this show didn't avoid the company's usual fare, which is rather sad. Some character designs look ugly, the animation can be terrible at times, and the CGI is lackluster when its there. The show also started out really dull and took a lot to get into. The story is good, revolving around a village being attacked by bandits and having its rice stolen. The village chief finally decides to have a priestess find samurai to defend the village from the bandits. The priestess agrees to this, and slowly collects seven samurai to help fight against the bandits. Meanwhile, government corruption soon complicates matters music in the show is mostly traditional sounding, something you'd expect from a samurai show. An odd thing about this show is that it has some steampunk qualities; While there are samurai and the show seems to take place in the past, people ride in airships, there are talking robots, and guns exist. Nonetheless, the samurai can somehow defeat all these things as if the metal robots and such are really just paper mache. Overall, this was a good series with some heart, but its dull start and at times lackluster animation can push a lot of people away.
  • A brilliant retelling of the classic film The Seven Samurai.

The show is set in a futuristic world and centres on a small village that is being terrorised by bandits. These bandits steal the villagers food and money leaving them with nothing. Eventually they become desperate and decide to recruit a group of warriors to help defend the village. Thus seven men each with a different motive and strength appaers to defend the villagers.

This is a great anime. The plot is fantastically done and the characters are really interesting. The animation is solid and the voice talent is really superb. It is wthout a doubt one of my favourite animes and one that everyone should see at least once.
  • A steampunk version of The Seven Samurai. *spoilers*

This adaptation of The Seven Samurai is a fairly accurate adaptation when not considering the second half of the series that has an entirely new storyline, and the obvious changes due to the steampunk setting. The addition of the corrupt emperor storyline was very interesting, and Ukyo was a fascinating villain. I found myself rooting for him for awhile there. It had really great sword fights and exciting action. Most of the samuari were also really entertaining, in their own ways. Except for, surprisingly, the team leader. He was awkwardly moody for an old guy. A very harsh teacher and extremely selfish. I dont know why Kirara was wasting her time on him. I'd take Kyuzo, Katsushiro, Heihachi, or Momotaro over him anyday. The characters did get confusing occasionally though. It was like a lot of what happened between them was left off screen or something. "Why is this person crying?" "Why is he mad at him?" But regardless, some pretty exciting stuff with great characters. This is only my second anime, along with Cowboy Bebop, and I would say this is the better of the two.
  • a decent anime

Its really sad that only 3 of them lived. I think it was kinda dumb how that girl shot him in the end. Bad ending but the rest was all good. I wish they could of had some better fights at the end though. alas in all it gets an 7.5 from me. Hope they remake this show one day. But with a few more characters next time. its a decent anime but unoriginal it seems like theres alot of samurai anime out there almost as if its becoming the new trend.
  • Samurai 7 is a good show, but it could be much better. Based on an acclaimed movie, Samurai 7 would have material to be a much better achievement.

Samurai 7 is a good show, but it could be much better.
    Based on an acclaimed movie, Samurai 7 would have material to be a much better achievement. It has a very good story truth be told, but it has so many flaws that the quality drops solidly.
    The animation begins good but drops after episode 4, specially the characters drawing lines during fight scenes.
    The character development is just shallow, except in the final chapters, so the show misses its true potencial to shine. The show is short, only 26 episodes, but it has two recapitulation episodes. Such a waste of space in a small show is inadmissible.
    But the biggest flaw is the mixture of the mecha theme with ancient eastern. It could be good if it worked right, like in the Dune book, but here the mixture is unbelievable and clumsy.
    Despite these facts you could still have some fun while watching it.
  • Based rather loosly on 7 Samurai this is the story about a village who is being forced to give up the majority of their food to the bandits, mechanines that were once men; so one villagers has had enough and decides they need to defend themselves.

This anime is short, but it's full of action. Based on the movie 7 Samurai, it's about the village of Kanna and the priestess, along with her sister and another villager, going off to search for samurai to help protect their village.
    Some people who have seen the movie consider the show to dishonour the creator; by it's an adaption to the movie, and this way we learn more about the samurai who are protecting the village.
    The show has underlying themes, about honour and pretty much about the people who are in power, though the love interest's are there too, but it's not taken over the show. The honour part - when you look into things about samurai - is pretty much looked at all the samurai. The one's who uphold honour, like Kanbei or even Kyuzo, you wonder about them and know that all they want is to live, even if they are called ronin.
    While being a short anime, the amount of detail that has been put into the show is magical. This is a classic anime.
  • I love Komachi

Samurai 7 was base on an old movie called "The 7 Samurai" & these farm people have to find these brave warriors to fight Bandits.

I love it in instant when I first saw Komachi, & I love Luci Chistian now that She voiced Komachi & maybe Super_Peter might like her as mucha as I do & IFC is going to take it off beacuse animation of today is stupid.

but, if your like me you'll find as way to take crap off & as to air good shows like "Rocko's Modern Life", but guess that will never happen it was great having Komachi while it lasted
  • My childhood favorite

one of my favorite anime ever & it one IFC that makes very special for it

I realy think that DVDs of this & other aime should be put somewhere other than best buy & I don't even know why people like Bleach

The some great Charater like the farmers, ski-o devito, & Komachi [Luci Christian who also voice Toadette in the Mario series] Hope it stays on IFC.
  • Well even though i only got to see the last 4 eps of the show its one of my faves

I can't believe i forgot to add this to my faves well here goes. Fom what i saw my two fave characters for the show were the guy who's last words were that he wanted food and the blonde guy who used 2 swords.
    Its really sad that only 3 of them lived. I think it was kinda dumb how that girl shot him in the end. Bad ending but the rest was all good. I wish they could of had some bnetter fights at the end though. ala in all it gets an 8.5 from me. Hope they remake this show one day. But with a few more characters next time.
  • it's back but don't cancell

This show was my favorite and know what? it was only on for 2 years, whats up with that? all the good shows are on for a short time like Samuria 7, Donkey Kong Country (Show), Cardcaptors, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, Hamtaro and oh, lets not forget about Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Inland!!

Instead, they put on the bad shows that are on every channel like CatDog, Baby Loonley Tunes, The Buzz on Maggie, and the rest of the baby clan. the good show have got to be brought back.

I mean this show is better than the Bad shows. Samurai 7 is a good show, The plots & characters are decent & original. CatDog failed to be that good.

IFC is really faithful now that there airing anime & DVDs are probably gone dunning it's cancellation
  • A remake.

I was truly disappointed with the Samurai 7. I loved the Seven Samurai it's perhaps the greatest film ever made if not one of the greatest. The last thing I wanted to see was a remake with everything the same except the that it takes place in the future. I was hoping they'd add something new to the anime series. I was wrong, how disappointed I was. Sure it when I heard about this anime I thought it was a good idea bring back a classic as a anime, but everything was the same. The animation wasn't that great. The story taking place in the future was bad. Overall the creators shouldn't have bothered making the anime, instead people just need to see the movie The Seven Samurai.
  • a tale of seven samurai.

samurai 7 is a good show.a village named kanna is under threat from the mechanized samurai called nobuseri or bandits.the nobuseri come every year to the village and take away that year's rice crop.the villagers really reach the limit of their tolerance and decide to hire samurai to help them get rid of the nobuseri.all they have to offer as a reward is all the rice the samurai can eat.knowing this full well,the village mikumari sets out to find samurai and they find a great samurai named shimada kambei who gathers 6 other samurai to help him in his war against the nobuseri.this is his greatest challenge as he had always fought for the losing side.
  • Review

A small village is being persecuted by robbers who return every harvest to seize the village's crops. Faced with starvation, the villagers send out a mission to find and recruit some samurai to defend them. With no pay to offer except rice, and knowing full well that only down-on-their-luck samurai would even consider accepting such an deal, the villagers can only hope that their saviours will appear before the rice is ready for harvest.
  • This anime is based off of the amazing film by Akira Kurosawa, Seven Samurai. I loved that film and I loved this anime just as much.

A friend of mine had me watch the old samurai film Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa and even through it's extreme length I found it a magnificent peice of filmmaking. When I heard that there was going to be an anime based on it, I was very excited. The anime indeed lived up to my expectations of it. I loved the portrayal of the character and the somewhat altered storyline so as not to be boring for Akira Kurosawa veterans. I first saw the anime in it's original japanese format at an anime convention and was awe-struck by the great animation and action. Only after I watched the dubbed version did I fall more in love with this anime. The english dub has a cast chock full of voice actors and actresses thatI truly love the work of. It was a marvel to behold, seeing an old classic movie being made into something new that people could once more fall in love with. I was most of all pleased with the portrayal of the character of Kikuchiyo. The slapstick and off-the-wall persona that Toshiro Mifune gave Kikuchiyo was something that I had hoped they would properly adapt. Though he was not as overtly comical, he was still very off-the-wall and entertaining. I am very pleased with this anime and highly reccomend it to everyone.
  • samurai 7 I don’t get it I remember it a long time ago when it was okay I aint saying that it is stupid but I don’t like it at all it seems nice but I have never seen it maybe I’ll give it a chance .

6.7
    samurai 7 I don’t get it I remember it a long time ago when it was okay I aint saying that it is stupid but I don’t like it at all it seems nice but I have never seen it maybe I’ll give it a chance . So I don’t know we'll see if my friends says that it is great but I don’t know I’ll find out if it’s okay if everybody really think that I should give it a chance but I don’t thinks it will be great maybe one day I’ll like it maybe not who knows.
  • One of my new all time favorite Anime shows I watched on DVD.

This series I think is actually really good. I think it is strange though that one time Netflix recommended me to watch this series, but now it does not have the recommend mark on it, very strange indeed. But no matter what Netflix thinks, I still think this is an excellent series.

And to answer the question ahead of time, I did see the movie 7 Samurai. I thought the movie was pretty decent with some of the dialoge and drama, but wished it had more stylish action, that\'s old style movies for you. I like it that so far in the first 8 episodes I watched so far there are parts that remind me of the movie. It is great and awesome that I can remember certain parts of the movie, I guess that is why Netflix recommended this movie and is a true foriegn classic. A good thing with this series is that it has awesome action and if truely an epic series as the samurai head to the village. The story is pretty simular to the movie with some new storylines to make it more interesting. The animation looks like it is very high quality and is amazing to look at. The english voices are actually pretty good for the series. The sound department is done pretty well as well.

This is such an excellent series. This series is for those who like a good story, good characters and some really awesome action.
  • Good Show.

A good action show. What is it about? I'll tell you. Well I'll tell you tomorrow. No just wait. I'm sure you can wait just one day! You can't. Fine. Kanna, a small village, is being persecuted by mechanized samurai called Nobuseri. The Nobuseri return every harvest to seize the village's crops. Faced with starvation, the villagers send out a mission to find and recruit some samurai to defend them. With no pay to offer except rice, and knowing full well that only helpless and eager samurai would even consider accepting such a deal, the villagers can only hope that their saviors will appear before the rice is ready for harvest.
    There. Now leave me alone.
  • Cool

Samuri 7 is a nija verson of Fooly Cooly but it's also the first anime on IFC I like little Komachi because she's cute & underapraiated & The all-star voice acting is superb

Janice Kayawe, Kirk Thonton, Kate Higgins, Scott McNeil & More this anime is worth staying on the air on IFC
  • Wondering why it only lasted for a year!!

Samurai 7 is action pack show. If you think Neon Genesis had alot of action and killing you will enjoy Samurai 7.The two rawest guys in the show is the old man and yellow head boy they seem to be unstoppable in a way. one episode them two was fighting and every enemy that approach them with a attack they had simple just dogde it and took them down with one hit. This show is more excited than anything, why did the show end so fast, this show was so popular in 2004 it was talk about by all anime fans. I wish this show will come back or something.
  • Kanna village is being attacked by bandits. To fight off the bandits the villagers sent Kirara, Rikichi, and Komachi to seek out samurais. In their journey they meet up with 7 samurais that agreed to defend their village.

This is a fabulous show. Since I can remember I have been a fan of samurai shows. My all time favorite samurai show was rurouni kenshin and Samurai 7 is next on my list. This show has great action and they have a hot girl in Kirara to keep you interested. The skills of the samurai are amazing. One of my most favorite seen was when Gorobei caught 5 arrow shot at him from a close distance. When I saw this, I was truly amazed. This is a fabulous show that is underappreciated, I think. So if you are a fan of samurai this is one anime worth checking out.
  • Its all about an small villiage known as Kanna being terrorized by bandits.The villiage seeks for help from 7 samurai.With different skills and strength to battle aganist the bandits and to save the villiage.

Samurai 7 is about 7 samurais being chosen,to battle aganist the bandits and protect the villiage.With Samurai's that has their own personality.Enspecially the robot samurai is funny.This show rocks! They should put this anime on Cartoon Network Adult swim as well.Well IFC isn't bad place for it either.I had not heard the subbed verison or the japanase verison yet.However the english dubbed so far is great.I don't see any messed up or goofed up.Well,I would say if it was good or bad.So I don't know any uncut verison and stuff.However this show deserve thumbs up and also they should make an sequal out of this.
  • The show follows seven samurais quest to save the village of Kanna after they have been sought after to destroy the bandits that plague the village.

This is one of my personal favorites because the characters are really focused on saving the village. Each character has a different aspect of their personality that helps bring the anime to life. There is a good mixture of action and suspense that will definitely keep a viewer entertained. Although there are a few slow sections in the show, there is still so much that it has to offer. The animation itself was done in a percise and visually appealling manner. The plot of the show is of a good caliber as well. Overall, there are many elements in this show that make it one of my personal favorites.
  • Akira Kurosawa's classic gets a sci-fi update

Based on the epic samurai movie, Samurai 7 stays true to both the storyline and the originality that made it so good in the first place.

The story focuses on a group of samurais, once renowned warriors, until the merchants slowly took over society, and with that, their status. Hired by three desperate farmers, these forgotten ronins will take on what is supposedly the final battle to end all battle against a band of ruthless thieves, not for glory, but for their honor.

The characters, despite their change in appearance, remains relatively true to the orginal, the setting itself makes it great for the series and the story itself is astounding.

Whether you like the original or not, Samurai 7 knows where to start and where to end.
  • A 10 out 10 Anime Hands Down.

This anime has caught me and reeled me. There is nothing wrong with this anime everything is absolutely perfect. The storyline is superb I've watched Samurai Champloo, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai X, Ninja Scroll, Samurai Deeper Kyo, ect. and you have all these samurai/ninjas series that all take place hundreds of years ago but finally one in the future and I'm totally digging it. This anime is a no brainier worth every penny.
  • Akira Kurosawa's success.

Although the original "Seven Samurai" didn't have mecha, this new interpretation presents an interesting dichotomy between the human swordsmen and their mechanized counterparts. Although some of the mecha in this series are apparently guileless (*cough* big dumb Kikuchiyo), there's an ominous vibe coming from the previously-human samurai (No-Buseri) and the mysterious 'Guardian' robots of the imperial court.
    When you add an oligarchic class structure to this mix ("You are a merchant! She is a farmer!"), it's clear that Samurai 7 has plenty of potential for unrequited love and forbidden social taboos. Will Kikuchiyo eventually end up getting some hot mecha-on-mecha action with an evil No-buseri?!
  • This story is basically a retelling of the timeless Kurosawa movie, Seven Samurai. A poor peasant village is terrorized by a lone group of mechanized samurai called "bandits," so the village seeks the help of 7 Samurai

This is a personal favorite and classic. If u love samurai anime as well as other genres such as Gundam, this is a great anime to watch. The characters are very well portrayed and have their own little quirks that make the show interesting. A must see for those of u who enjoyed Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo, and Samurai Deeper Kyo.