Samurai Champloo Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2007)

Comic collisions

hybritical

[1]Apr 11, 2006
    • level: 4
    Ok I just saw this episode like 3 mins ago....and I'm real upset with it....Like wtf?....I think it has nothing to do with the series and I have no idea why they made it....I don't like this episode at all...mostly because the show is pretty much reality based and that was really far fetched....
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spid3r_

[2]Apr 12, 2006
    • level: 1
    They were halucinating from the shrooms? I think it may have ended with the zombies killing the ring leader, and the comet was somewhere else..or they got away or something..someone had to bury the guitar guy.. Either way, its just a filler episode they stuck in when they were feeling crazy.

ViewerAskewed

[3]Apr 12, 2006
    • level: 9
    Don't think too much about it. Someone probably just thought one day: "Say, what if Mugen and Jin fought zombies", so they did, and then they all died at the end.

mngoose

[4]Apr 12, 2006
    • level: 2
    It's only slightly more rediculous than the "Toys in the Attic" episode of Cowboy Bebop.

ViewerAskewed

[5]Apr 12, 2006
    mngoose wrote:
    It's only slightly more rediculous than the "Toys in the Attic" episode of Cowboy Bebop.

Toys in the Attic wasn't nearly as far out there as Cosmic Collisions was. The only thing that made it really ridiculous was the fact that Spike, Faye, and Jet died at the end.

tvssecondchild

[6]Apr 13, 2006
    • level: 14
    hybritical wrote:
    Ok I just saw this episode like 3 mins ago....and I'm real upset with it....Like wtf?....I think it has nothing to do with the series and I have no idea why they made it....I don't like this episode at all...mostly because the show is pretty much reality based and that was really far fetched....

It's called "Filler" In my mind, episodes like this are created because of a) deadlines, b) slight breakdown in storyline c) fans like 26 episodes (2 seasons).

Don't think too much about this episode.

mngoose

[7]Apr 13, 2006
    tvssecondchild wrote:
    hybritical wrote:

It's called "Filler" In my mind, episodes like this are created because of a) deadlines, b) slight breakdown in storyline c) fans like 26 episodes (2 seasons).

Don't think too much about this episode.

Your first 2 points are feasible, but if they used your third point as their reasoning, there was so much more they could've done with that series other than put out an episode like that.

SunsprayHoney

[8]Apr 15, 2006
    • level: 12
    It was a Halloween episode, it aired around that time in Japan. At the end the zombie summons the meteor by playing his guitar.

Didn't we clear all this up awhile ago?

ViewerAskewed

[9]Apr 16, 2006
    Yeah, and it's not even really a filler. I mean, come on, would you really want to go through life as a Samurai Champloo fan having not seen Mugen and Jin fight zombies?

mngoose

[10]Apr 17, 2006
    There's nothing I love more when watching an anime that could almost possibly be based on fact than throwing in a few zombie fights.

blissful2beme

[11]Apr 24, 2006
    • level: 5

I agree the zombie fights rock...and I think the zombie episode and the baseball episode was inserted to lighten the storyline before the big finale. A lot of series do it...they are going hot and heavy and then to drag it out longer they throw in a dream sequence or something like that.  Maddening at times but a necessary evil to make us all whine for more.

aerisol

[12]Jul 31, 2006
    • level: 5
    yea im pretty sure it woz like a halloween special in japan or sumfin

shsteve

[13]Aug 16, 2006
    • level: 15
    Kind of a halloween episode. It's just the show messing around, bringing the mood up-tempo after the serious 2 part downer before it.

The next episode is exactly the same. Several main characters die...in a baseball game! Again, it's just the show having a joke. It's kinda smart to see a show kill off its heroes, but it does kind of deract from tension building episodes. After the baseball game, everyone who died gets resurrected...you can't a have a finale without it's main protagonists, right?!

In a way you could defend what they made by saying that these two episodes were meant to keep the viewers in suspense...but to be honest...It doesn't work. Fun, but it none of it fits in with the last half of the series.

shsteve

[14]Aug 16, 2006

ViewerAskewed wrote:
    mngoose wrote:
    Toys in the Attic wasn't nearly as far out there as Cosmic Collisions was. The only thing that made it really ridiculous was the fact that Spike, Faye, and Jet died at the end.

Um, they never died.  Jet is still clearly breathing despite being poisoned (when they check his neck). Plus, they're all on make-shift beds before the zero-G kicks in. If they were dead, then Spike and Ed would have covered their faces. They all just suffered poison stings that knocked them out (Spike's even has a dazed grin at the end). I suppose they could have been eaten by the blob if it was trying to stun them first.

ViewerAskewed

[15]Aug 20, 2006
    It's even established earlier in the episode that a bite from that blob causes death. Sure, they were alive around the middle of the episode, but by the end, when they were just floating there, they were most likely dead, except for Ed, who was just sleeping, because it's impossible to kill Ed, though that's just my theory.

shsteve

[16]Aug 20, 2006
    Are you sure? I have the series on DVD and not once does it mention anything about the blob killing people. Sure, it's poisonous, giving Jet some kind of super-flu, but it's never stated that it's lethal, because no-one knows anything about it.

The only time we learn anything is when Spike opens the fridge and realises it mutated from his forgotten food. The crew hardly speculate because the blob gets Faye before Spike can actually discuss it, plus the important stuff is all in narrative form.

I'll check properly in the week.

ViewerAskewed

[17]Aug 27, 2006
    At one point, Spike is talking with Faye about the effects of the poison, and he mentions that death is the final stage of it.

SunsprayHoney

[18]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 12
    I don't recall that...

ViewerAskewed

[19]Sep 1, 2006
    SunsprayHoney wrote:
    I don't recall that...

What can I tell ya, you shoulda paid more attention.

shinjuki

[20]Sep 5, 2006

first i thought it was cosmic, second it was my least favorite episode, very wierd, i didnt get it at all. one bad shroom trip.