Samurai Champloo Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2007)

Fuu's dialogue (spoilers)

marinerzz

[1]Feb 24, 2006
    • level: 5
    I don't get what she meant when she said

"You know, I don't really wanna think about stuff like that right now. If you did, then that jerk Mugen would... I'm sorry... Forgive me..."

Especially the "If you did, then that jerk Mugen would..." line. I didn't understand it last week and I'm still confused when they replayed it this week. If who did, who does the "you" refer to, her or Jin? What was she about to say Mugen would do? Anyone have any insights into what she was talking about? It's really been bothering me LOL.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Fronzel

[2]Feb 25, 2006
    • level: 15
    ...maybe she's worried about them killing each other?

linagabriev

[3]Feb 25, 2006
    • level: 27
    SPOILERS

I watched the Japanese version of the first two parts (and the English version of the third) but it seemed like she cared for Mugen. She didn't call him a jerk in the Japanese version. It seemed like she would be really sad if she lost Mugen, moreso then if she lost Jin. But maybe I'm looking too much into it. (Everyone usually thinks I'm weird for liking the Mugen/Fuu compledome)
    Edited on 02/27/2006 2:24pm

ViewerAskewed

[4]Feb 27, 2006
    • level: 9
    SPOILERS ABOUT THE ENDING:

I think the Mugen and Fuu pairing is pretty clearly implied in this show, especially considering that the line of Fuu's that started this topic was what came to Jin's mind while he was fighting the Hand of the Gods, and was what made him decide to tell Mugen to "take care of Fuu" instead of going to help her himself.

linagabriev

[5]Feb 27, 2006
    • level: 27
    ViewerAskewed wrote:
    SPOILERS ABOUT THE ENDING:

I think the Mugen and Fuu pairing is pretty clearly implied in this show, especially considering that the line of Fuu's that started this topic was what came to Jin's mind while he was fighting the Hand of the Gods, and was what made him decide to tell Mugen to "take care of Fuu" instead of going to help her himself.

SPOILERS

I thought so as well, but everytime I tell one of my friends who also watch Samurai Champloo, they give me this are-you-crazy look. But the ending did spell it out to me, I just didn't want to impose my beliefs in their relationships onto others. Especially since my few experiences at this forum before haven't been too kind. All the same, to Mugen it looked as if Fuu liked Jin, because the pair were embracing, so he misunderstood.
    Edited on 02/27/2006 6:18pm

BIGKAYPIMP

[6]Feb 27, 2006
    • level: 2
    Wat r u guyz talkin about mugen and fuu have nothing between each other jin sends mugen away to help fuu bcuz he knows mugen cant beat that flower guy cuz mugen only has raw talent he dosent have skill

ViewerAskewed

[7]Feb 28, 2006
    BIGKAYPIMP wrote:
    Wat r u guyz talkin about mugen and fuu have nothing between each other jin sends mugen away to help fuu bcuz he knows mugen cant beat that flower guy cuz mugen only has raw talent he dosent have skill

If that were true, what would be the point of showing Jin flash back to that one moment where Fuu mentioned Mugen, hmm?
    Plus, Jin wouldn't send Mugen away just because he thought he could beat the Hand of the Gods. We clearly saw at the end that Jin put Fuu's safety before anything else. He was stepping aside and letting Mugen go after her for a reason, and it had nothing to do with the Hand of the Gods.

reachums

[8]Mar 6, 2006
    to answer the original question, in the Japanese version of that scene, Jin says "If I should..." implying "If I should die..." in the english version he says something like "I should think about that"

so Fuu says "I don't want to think about that right now" referring to thinking about what might happen if Jin should die.

goclarkgo

[9]Mar 6, 2006
    • level: 6
    reachums wrote:
    to answer the original question, in the Japanese version of that scene, Jin says "If I should..." implying "If I should die..." in the english version he says something like "I should think about that"

so Fuu says "I don't want to think about that right now" referring to thinking about what might happen if Jin should die.

Ah Ok! Thanks! That clears that up, I was really wondering

what that was all about as well. That makes perfect sense

then. Much appreciated.

reachums

[10]Mar 6, 2006
    yeah, when I first watched that I was confused, stepped back and turned on the closed captioning and it still didn't make sense so I switched to Japanese and it made a world of difference. if at all possible it's best to watch an anime in your native tongue and in Japanese. that way you catch everything

ViewerAskewed

[11]Mar 7, 2006
    reachums wrote:

I saw the subbed version to, and honestly I didn't get the same impression. I don't really see how "If I should..." implies "If I should die...", especially since they're discussing Fuu's future at the time, and not Jin's.

goclarkgo

[12]Mar 8, 2006
    • level: 6
    ViewerAskewed wrote:
    reachums wrote:

I saw the subbed version to, and honestly I didn't get the same impression. I don't really see how "If I should..." implies "If I should die...", especially since they're discussing Fuu's future at the time, and not Jin's.

Yeah, see, I had this very same discussion with my friend who

lent me the dvd's. That if the subtitles lost anything in

the translation over from the native language, the thing of

it is unless you can fluently read whatever the native

language is of the anime and watch it in it's original format

there is always probably going to be something lost in

translation. Same thing when I was watching Cowboy Bebop I

had subtitles on AND I listened to it in English but and the

2 things didnt match up, so I wasnt sure what I was hearing

and reading was actually the original dialogue. Same goes

for here in Champloo. So all I am saying is that we might be

missing out on a lot. Of course this point is moot if you

can fluently speak the native language and saw it in its

original format.

tvssecondchild

[13]Mar 8, 2006
    • level: 14
    I think it is obvious that Fuu had more feelings for Mugen than for Jin, remember when the female assassin joined their group and she let Jin go with her and SHE stayed with Mugen? Despite Mugen's harsh words and rudeness, I think Fuu would have chosen Mugen in a life/death situaion.. but it never really came up.

AquaMantor

[14]Mar 8, 2006
    • level: 7
    Wasn't that because she was testing to see if Jin would choose to stay or not?

Fronzel

[15]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 15
    Yeah, don't you remember her bawling "he actually left!" or some such? She apparently wanted him to refuse to go.

KillFax2

[16]Mar 23, 2006
    • level: 1
    marinerzz wrote:
    I don't get what she meant when she said

"You know, I don't really wanna think about stuff like that right now. If you did, then that jerk Mugen would... I'm sorry... Forgive me..."

Especially the "If you did, then that jerk Mugen would..." line.

Hi! This is my first post.

First of all, my English is very bad, so, if I write something "ununderstandable" please, ask me.

Jin asked Fuu about what she would do when she find her father, she said she didn't know, then Jin said...
    reachums wrote:
    Jin says "If I should..." implying "If I should die..."
    I thought that he meant that he could kill her father (opinions about this, please) But that doesn't fit with what she says about Mugen (maybe he'll be jealous?)

Thanks for your patience

mngoose

[17]Mar 30, 2006
    • level: 2
    About the whole Mugen and Fuu thing, what about in that episode "The Disorder Diaries"? Think about her description of Mugen versus her description of Jin. I know that the diaries that they read were faked by Fuu to teach Jin and Mugen a lesson, but you know the saying "some truth is said in jest".

SunsprayHoney

[18]Mar 30, 2006
    • level: 12
    Although I like the thought of a Mugen/Fuu relationship the bottom line is she likes them both the same. If she liked one better than the other it would break the whole "they're equal" thing.

blissful2beme

[19]Apr 24, 2006
    • level: 5
    Let's just face it Jin and Mugen are the yin and yang of Fuu's perfect man. She needs both of them.

hybritical

[20]May 21, 2006
    • level: 4

Actually this makes perfect sense....Ilik to think Fuu lieks Mugen more because I would...but she likes them both it's too hard to choose either or because they are both almost completely opposite and they both have their qualities...frankly there wasn't a love interests either or because it would take away from the show she cares for them both....BTW when she let Jin go with the assassin lady she DIDN'T want him to go, she wanted him to refuse yes. But that doesn't mean she wanted Mugen more she choose Jin because Mugen would of raped the girl or something. He was hasseling her the whole time....