Samurai X: Reflection

A&E (ended 2006)

Samurai X: Reflection Fan Reviews (14)

• Rurouni Kenshin reflections is the perfect coda for one of the more memorable animes of tv. Do you expect a boring and predictable happy end? No way. In the tradition of the best films of Kurosawa, Reflections is one of the best films ever made.

I remember one evening -ten years ago- reading a book of Basho, one of the japanese masters of haiku. One of his poems says: "falling sick on a journey / my dream goes wandering / over a field of dried grass". This is his last poems; a poem of death; a poem of love to the life. Rurouni Kenshin was one of the best animes that I've ever seen. I remember the fights, the pasion, the humanity, and -in my favourites episodes- the sense of time going, of pasion for still alive. Ok, ok, I know that after the fight with Sojiro and Sishio the series go down... I know that characters like Saito were unexpectadly put out of the series... I know that we all want to see a real fight with Okita... I know all the errors of the anime... But simply I cannot forget the magic in every episode (until the finish of Sishio arc), the simpathy in the characters; the ambient of the rising Meiji era. Altough, the series jump the shark after the fight with Sishio... But Kenshin still alive; the final episode (unaired) prove it... And -above all- we have the Ovas. If the first Ova (Tsuiokuhen; Trust and betrayal) was one of the finest animations of all the times (showing us the darkest side of Kenshin & his tragedy), Seisohen (Reflections) is not a dissapointment. Au contraire; to me is even better. I heard very bad critics because of the romantic line of the animation, because of there's no fighting; because is a sad end to Kenshin.... Nonsense! There's no slugfest in Reflections; even the fight with Enishi (who -in my personal point of view- is the worst and most failed enemy of Kenshin; where the hell he bought his clothes of lousy cyclist?) NOT fit at all in the mood of the picture. Do you remember Kurosawa's Rhapsody in august, Kim Ku Duk's The stations of life or Satjayit Ray's Pather Panchali? What the hell do you expect? Perhaps a happy and ridiculous end like that one of Dragon ball GT (what a way to destroy the beautiful world of the original Dragon ball)? Reflections is -for Rurouni Kenshin- the las song of the swan; the last poetry... I know that the original writer was not implicated in this Ova... Bright idea! If he was in this beautiful movie, probably Kenshin finish his days dancing with dreadful songs of Shakira or slamming with Metallica... or even becoming inmortal (you know the "great ideas" of the japaneses). At last; Reflections is the BEST Ova of all times. If you don't have see it, run to your tv and look for it... If there's not on air, read a good book of Whitman, Garcia Lorca... or go to see Hiroshima mon amour or Otomo's Akira.
  • This is a great show with action and true events back in japan and china with the wars.

Samurai x is great to watch with great action love and war there are great episodes its all about Kenshin Himura who waz once know as a man slayer and he kills his wife tomoe himura and becomes a lonley samurai wandring tryin to find atonment for the lifes his took and he finds another love karuo he carries a reversed edge blade sword tryin to save lifes not takin them as a fan of this show i recommend it to everyone its great if u love action and comedy then this is the show for u its one of my fav.
  • Disappointing, melodramatic trash.

1.6
    Even when I was a new fan of Rurouni Kenshin, I had huge doubts about this OVA when I heard about it. It just didn't seem to fit the positive tone of the TV series. The theme of the TV series and the manga is atonement through life rather than death. Yet in Seisouhen, the only way for Kenshin to find peace is to drive himself until his body breaks. Not only that, but in Seisouhen, he knowingly transfers the disease that's ravaging his body to his second wife Kaoru, so she can "share his pain". What happened to the non-killing vow? Or doesn't it apply to his wives?

Kenshin's son Kenji grows up hating Kenshin for never being there and for making his mother sad. At age 15, Kenji moves to Kyoto to train in Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu under Kenshin's old master, Hiko Seijuro XIII because he wants to experience the power of Hitokiri Battousai.

Many people call Kenji a spoiled brat, but I don't blame him for acting as he did. Why should Kenji be loving and supportive of a father who is never there for him?

No, to me Seisouhen just doesn't fit the rest of the RK franchise. I believe the true ending is found in the manga's Jinchuu /Revenge Arc, on which Seisouhen is LOOSELY based.
  • I completly love this show it is great to watch if anyone has any other idears send me a memo.

Where to start this show completly rock samauri x reflection is a must watch show i watched it and become upsessed with it some of it is qiute sad and romantic but heaps cool with great action it couldnt get over it i coulnt wait for it to come back on i was so board i didnt watch two of my shows then it came back on it was great.
  • The ending to the journey of the legendary Kenshin Himura.

I hated this ending. I mean, his journey was really intense. He has his friends, people he loves and to die like this. I think it's incredibly sad and unfair. We've watched Kaoru be so stubborn. She went looking for him when he went to train for his fight with Shishio, but she here she let him go. I just couldn't believe it. And their son, I mean, what was that about. His father for peace and the welfare of his countrymen and he was training to surpass his father just coz his mother wasn't looking for him. I wish they made a happier ending for Kenshin's sad yet worthy journey.
  • What in the world was that.

This has to be one of the biggest dissapointments in my anime life. Who wrote this storyline, how can they show Kenshin and Karou dying, it makes no sense. After all these years of watching kenshin, surviving near death experiences over and over again, beating everyone who has opposed him, they had the nerve to show them dying. I watched this in horror as my favorite anime character, not to mention karou died. What an outrageous and down right stupid way to end this story of kensin's life. Even if he had to die they should never have actually shown it happening, they could have ended it in a way where we would be wondering if he had actually died. I even burned my copy of reflection because i couldn't believe what they did. And i gave it a one rating because the fight scene with him and enishi was sort of entertaining.
  • ive only seen move.

i have only seen the move of this show but i think this might be better then Rouroni kenshin cause it hase alot of blood and since the movie hade so many good fights im guessing this show hase lots of good fights to i dont no if it hase a good story or not since i only saw the movie but the movie was really good it even kinda hade a little story to it so i think ill like this show and ill probably try and watch this show some time soon that is all i have to say adout this show.
  • Satisfaction is Guaranteed

One thing that I could about this – was that I was satisfied. Anime hardly ends on such a note and I was content with the manner in which things fell into place. I have no major qualms about it however one thing that always starts an argument is that people often get confused between the different/ several Samurai X editions there are! I think what Cartoon Network did confused a lot of people and I’m often at the end of biting rebuttals.

I’m also surprised at the lack of interests in the overall storyline and the fact that this is one anime which is historically based but people seem hard pressed to care.
  • In many ways the movie does serve as an okay introduction to the basics of the series, Kenshin attempting to atone for the blood he spilt in his past while not spilling any more, even if it does skip over all the character background.

The movie begins with a flashback to Kenshin’s Battosai days, with Kenshin defeating a skilled swordsman, before jumping ahead fourteen years. On a day trip to Yokohama, Kenshin and friends witness Aizu Clan leader Takimi Shigure in action. As the main characters become more closely involved with Shigure, it becomes clear that he is planning a rebellion against the Meiji government. Things go pear shaped however, when traitors within consort to betray this new rebellion from the start and Shigure recognizes Kenshin’s technique as that used by the killer of his best friend Gentatsu fourteen years ago….
  • this movie is awesome i already summarized it lol so im not gonna do it again!! lmao

what i really really realy lovee about thsi movie is how muc emotion is in it its unbelievable that sooo many people havent seen it aand some of those that have donet like it i mean who couldnt love this movie unless you dont like romance stories but im totally into them so to me i dont care lol but it is an awesome movie guys so check it out sometime if you like sailor moon or inuyasha youll def like this too!!
  • Beautiful. 'Nuff said.

I have a bit of a confession to make...
    My mother, in all her genoristiy, bought me Reflections for my birthday some two years ago. She now admits that she bought it simply because it was anime, a favourite genre of mine. However, she failed to comprehend that there were in fact three other DVDs before this one. Therefore, I spent the entire first episode with a bemused look upon my face, wondering what it was the Kenshin did. Now I see. I guess I was lucky, as most of the show is a flashback, which assisted my limited knowledge of the Samurai X universe.

However, the characters really grow on you, even if you haven't seen them before in your life. They were portrayed well, in such a way that you could easily figure out a lot about them, and make judgements accordingly. The action itself was superb, with great fluid animation, and a visible passion in each swing of the katana. The music was stunning, fitting in very well with the atmosphere of the scenes, and helped to bring out the empathy that lurked beneath. Character development was well timed and a joy to watch, even if some certain outcomes were blatantly obvious from the first frame.

The end, ah the end. A masterpiece. I'll try not to give anything away, but I will say that the music, combined with the beautiful setting and evident fatigue on both character's faces, it all nearly brought tears to my eyes. I would happily watch it again and again, but I think I'll hold off until the first episodes are in my grasp.
  • True classic!

If your expecting Samurai X: Reflection/Trust & Betral to be like Rurouni Kenshin, you're wrong! This movie is done in a very serious tone and I believe most people will enjoy. These movies are just so brilliant, and if your a HUGE Rurouni Kenshin fan you might even end up shedding a little tears at the end of Reflection. I extremely recommend this to anyone who is into anime.
  • It was so sad. These OVA\'s wrap up the whole Kenshin saga and the last OVA was just sad. If you watch Rurouni Kenshin you\'ll know what I am talking about. Atleast it brilliantly wraps up the show like never before. After watching this it really makes yo

This was just so amazing. Watching this special almost makes you want to cry. Seeing Kenshin becoming old and saggy is just so sad, because he is a pure character. While watching the younger Kenshin in an OVA is so sad. The two characters are totally opposite, the Young Kenshin and the Old Kenshin. The Young Kenshin is a ruthless killer who is love. While Older Kenshin is just a man full of widom. The Last scene in the OVA where Kenshin dies, is so sad. Kenshin was a character that you liked during Rurouni Kenshin and when he died it was just so sad. It finished up Rurouni Kenshin, like a Masterpiece.
  • This is what i call a proper anime show...

This last part of the series is to die for, if you were a fan of samurai x, then i shouldnt have to tell you to go and see it! And if your not, and want a great piece of gripping, dramatic and thoroughly entertaining piece of anime, this is by far the best your going to get!