Sanctuary

Fata Morgana

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 10, 2008 on Syfy

• Compared to the pilot there is a major improvement in pace and in some cases character but it still feels just a little boring.

The little things that help you see and understand the world our characters live in are what progresses this series past the Pilot. I particuarly liked the scene in the lift/elevator with Dr Zimmerman and the (literally) 2 faced schizophrenic character. Also the scene with Ashley and her informant. The character gives information for grubs which is interesting and the fact that they meet on the edge of a destroyed bridge (akin to the Golden gate in San Fransisco) tells us something that the Pilot in my opinion didn't convey, that the show takes place in a near-future post disaster world.

Along with the world building we also get a more sympathetic and rounded character in Dr Zimmerman here. His morals are more on show and although you can tell he's new at this he feels more part of the team now. Also gone is the computer-game 6th sense thing which I hope will stay lost as I didn't like it all that much. The story concerns his sympaties with 3 women they find in a crypt guarded by skull headed cult members. They turn out to be death-bringers sent out since King Arthur's time to walk among the battlefield bringing annihalation. This is an interesting concept and Zimmerman is the one who believes they can change their ways.

Of course there is more to it. This is another world building thing that has an ancient society set up as rivals to the Sanctuary (and owners of the 3 sisters fata morgana). I like this as with any show you need some sort of big rival that other enemies can possibly down the line play off. Druitt who doesn't appear here is bound to come back and with this society in order whos to say he won't use them in some ways.

So a good progression to the okay pilot. Its not clear wether the show will be lifted above its slight mediocrity yet but it seems like it definitely could, a little bit more occasional colour might help as well like.