Sanctuary Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

What city does the show take place in?

seanconery

[1]Jan 11, 2009
    • level: 10
    Does anyone know? I've looked around on the web and I can't find anything.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pinchasb

[2]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 13
    They never said.

sajwest

[3]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 23

In "Fata Morgana" one of the Cabal had a hand-held device with the Sanctuary's location on it.More of a map than a name really....around the Vancouver (Rockies)/north-west America region it looked like.

In the show though it is referred to as the Old City.

123home123

[4]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 55
    I thought I heard them mention "New City" a couple times but whenever there is a map, it does show a vague location in the Pacific Northwest, in the general area of the real-life Vancouver shooting location.

seanconery

[5]Jan 29, 2009
    • level: 10
    Hmm...Thanks guys. Just confused, I thought I missed something.

xanu

[6]Sep 13, 2009
    • level: 9
    sajwest wrote:

In "Fata Morgana" one of the Cabal had a hand-held device with the Sanctuary's location on it.More of a map than a name really....around the Vancouver (Rockies)/north-west America region it looked like.

In the show though it is referred to as the Old City.

ah ok, personally i always thought it was just london with another name. ill check a little better once i view fata morgana.

gem-in-eye

[7]Sep 15, 2009
    • level: 5

This may be too late, but I haven't seen the wbisodes but if you search around you'll discover that the begainning episodes follow the basic story line of a couple of webisodes, so webisode one and two= episode 1.

hope that helps.

VConn

[8]Sep 18, 2009
    • level: 17
    Pretty sure it isn't ste in any REAL city if you pay attention when they show the city in the backiground it always appears incredibly computer animated thats because most of this show is shot in front of a blue(or is it green) screen so there is no actual city I always got the feeling it was based mainly on London but set somewhere in the US\CANADA especially when you consider that Sherlock Holmes was the head of SANCTUARY,LONDON.

Azeleen

[9]Sep 28, 2009
    • level: 4
    VConn wrote:
    Pretty sure it isn't ste in any REAL city if you pay attention when they show the city in the backiground it always appears incredibly computer animated thats because most of this show is shot in front of a blue(or is it green) screen so there is no actual city I always got the feeling it was based mainly on London but set somewhere in the US\CANADA especially when you consider that Sherlock Holmes was the head of SANCTUARY,LONDON.

Production is held in Vancouver Canada, but as VConn said, the city itself as seen in the show is mainly computer-made. So it may take some inspiration in other cities but it really will never be a real one.

sajwest

[10]Sep 29, 2009
    • level: 23

VConn wrote:

Technically it was James Watson who was the leader of the London Sanctuary, and Conan Doyle based Sherlock on him. But we're not going to split hairs over that.

But, yes, it's probably an amalgamation of cities making up the "Old" and "New" parts in the show.

atach1

[11]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 5

In one of the episodes it showed the earth from space, zooming out to show them coming from the US and Canada. It look like it started around the upper US and Canada area. In one of the episodes where they were reclining(the one with the mutant gladiators), she said it was 3000 miles to whatever country(I think it was a middle eastern country). In the one where they were in the sub she said that it was a 6 hour trip, so she must have a sub docked around Florida or something, since the midwest US/Canada area seems to be where they are at. Whatever city it is it seems to be about the size of New York and have a lot of similarities.