Sanctuary Forums

Syfy (ended 2011)

Will/Should Sanctuary Return For A Fifth Season Without Christopher Heyerdahl?

Will/Should Sanctuary Return For A Fifth Season Without Christopher Heyerdahl?

EarlyMemphis

[1]Dec 19, 2011
    • level: 60
    While we await renewal news and dodge the swirling rumor mill, darkness seems to surround John and Biggie. As far as this whole death thing goes : 1) the YouTube quote from Christopher Heyerdahl left the John door ajar for Season 5 (IF there's a Season 5, I'll believe that when and if I see it); 2) it's disconcerting to see all this Paul, er, John is dead stuff just when the show has shunted Biggie off onto some dark road (he wasn't even in "The Depths").

Personally, I think a Season 5 without Christopher Heyerdahl would be pointless, I'm just not that fascinated by the Helen-Will dynamic. Biggie and, to my mind, John are/were integral components of the show. Ever since they killed off Ashley (and now her replacement, Kate), the series has become more and more Amanda Tapping-centric. It's kinda like The Animals becoming Eric Burdon and The Animals (with a whole different group of "Animals") - something key is lost, even with the same lead singer, it just isn't the same act. That's why The Beatles had to break up, they couldn't become Paul & The Beatles or John & The Beatles. If it wasn't a group, a cooperative team, it wasn't what it was. Team Sanctuary started out as a real five "man" band, it wasn't Helen & the guys (a la Mick & The Stones). The team, and therefore, the show, can survive with four key members - but not three and a bunch of session musicians.
    Edited on 12/19/2011 1:08am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Baisy

[2]Dec 20, 2011
    • level: 2

Very well said!

Now I truly love sanctuary, and were they to make a hundred seasons I would watch a hundred seasons, I would defend sanctuary to any hater of the show, and when I read - what I feel - to be completely ignorant criticism I find myself becoming quite angry.

That being said, I do feel sanctuary has been taking some wrong turns lately ..

- Abby is cute and all, I do not hate her, but when did the show become about Will's sex life, and to me she feels like a Mary-Sue - too perfect, and a bit over the top, by all means have her in the show, but there are so many other intresting characters that could fill out her time slot - or at least some of it :-)

- Will and Magnus - their dynamic is always great to wacth, but after Abby came along Will acts way to childish, and I've never hated Will, this season he really annoys me.

- And my most important point, the whole, oh by the way John in dead failure. Biggie going bad - AWESOME TWIST - if he is bad of course :-) But come on Druitt deserves more, he was the shows most complex character. And I must say if an actor has to come out and say, well my character actually died here ... then it's not really a that well written story line. I was waiting for Druitt to have some involvement in Magnus's big secret. I still have my hopes!

Now coming to the matter of season 5. No matter what I would probably watch, but loosing Christopher Heyerdahl - the most talented actor on the show - would be a huge mistake. And have a huge impact. Biggieis the heart of that show, I love his relationshipwith Henry and those little behave slaps he hands around - AWESOME! John was just so unpredictable, one moment he saw nothing but love and in a slit second it turning to blinding rage . Druitt always came along with a good story.

So, the conclusion arrives: Season 5 without Heyerdahl; It's possible, but what a huge fall in quality.

shirewood

[3]Dec 23, 2011
    • level: 5

In short NO!!

I thought the 'death' of Druitt was majorly badly done on the part of the writers. there are still people around who have not cought up with the fact that he is supposed to be dead.

to get rid of Biggie as well then they might as well give up. I know they want to kill off characters but come on!! so far they have killed off the most intrqueing and complex characters (minus ashley who i didn't really like). those are the kind of characters you want in a series, because you can do so much with them.

plus with no Heyerdahl in a series how can they do any episodes of Magnus's past (face it Druitt was a big part of it) as well as any the five episodes, and who doesn't love the five? it just seems to me that if they get rid the actor with the most acting scope, and an unbelievable onscreen chemistry will Tapping, then they don't deserve a season five.

LordGrievous

[4]Dec 24, 2011
    • level: 13

I don't think I can keep watching Sanctuary if they get rid of Christopher Heyerdahl.

It was bad enough they got rid of Ashley and that invisible girl. And Abbey is a joke of a FBI agent who wouldbarely be qualified as ametermaid much less a FBI agent.And there was a great setup for a praxxis vs vampire queen storyline which would have been better then the one they're doing now.

The show is going downhill

haldrey

[5]Dec 24, 2011
    • level: 22
    I believe that Biggie is going to come back but if not I do not mind, Magnus is Sanctuary and period.

TracyTrouble

[6]Dec 24, 2011
    • level: 10

I have to agree - this season has been rather weak with so little of John/Biggie in it. I've watched it out of loyalty, but it is losing me. The current arc is yawn inducing and the whole world governments are all evil is just eye rollingly bad as plotlines go. The enclosed world of the sanctuaries, trying to protect and keep secret the abnormals, was a much better premise; John's interaction, as a good badguy was always interesting. The fact he was willing to do things Magnus baulked at amused and interested me no end. Sadly Tesla is not up to the job of filling John's shoes - his menace is laughable; though his sarcasm is better. Will is annoying in the extreme this season and I miss Kate (another good badguy who was willing to make the tough choices). Biggie is necessary just because he shows the reason the sanctuaries are there (and I love his character; who knew Big Foot was so tidy?) - without them what would become of him and other abnormals? If the show doesn't get back to its roots and ditch the more outlandish storylines I doubt it will reach a season 6. It needs John back and it needs to keep the Big Guy; if it doesn't.....I doubt I will get through the whole of season 5 let alone care if it reaches a season 6.

Baisy

[7]Dec 24, 2011
    • level: 2

LordGrievous wrote:

And there was a great setup for a praxxis vs vampire queen storyline which would have been better then the one they're doing now.

I think that would have been really good actually! I liked Afina, she was bad and she was evil, and well Nikola seems hard to kill, we can hope that she will have turned out to be that too? :-) Now that is a season 5 idea I would like to see.

Hejeira

[8]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 16
    Biggie's one of Magnus's oldest friends and supporters. He's always made her warmer and more "human" (which, in his own inimitable way, John did as well). For the show to lose either or both of those fantastic characters would be insupportable - imho.
    Edited on 12/26/2011 9:38pm

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[9]Dec 28, 2011
    Hejeira wrote:
    Biggie's one of Magnus's oldest friends and supporters. He's always made her warmer and more "human" (which, in his own inimitable way, John did as well). For the show to lose either or both of those fantastic characters would be insupportable - imho.

Agreed! Well put!

bmoshier

[10]Dec 31, 2011
    • level: 46

Personally, I hope for a fifth season and with more than 13 episodes! The 20 episode season (third one, right) was about right. Personally, 22 would be nice say starting in May for 11 episodes, break till October and finish up in late December 2012 or January 2013.

Any idea when Syfy will make the Sanctuary season 5 announcement? Of course, too bad, this couldn't be a reality series so they would no brain it ...

LOL ... yeah, maybe have Season 5 (22 episodes) be something like a reality season so as to help the surface people / the normals understand - the other half .... it would still be acting, but made to look like a reality series .. Yeah, stupid right!!

On the other hand .. ah, this might actually be nice ... LOL! Have two series - 13 episodes each - One follows the team we love. The other is a spin-off and is a reality series looking at abnormals ... Anyway ... just a thought .. stupid or otherwise.

Edited on 12/31/2011 2:03am

AaronThompson

[11]Dec 31, 2011
    • level: 1
    I actually don't think that Biggie is dead. I won't say anything here, but anyone who watched the season final should be able to figure out what I mean.

As to whether the show should return without Christopher Heyerdahl? I definitely think it should. I watch the show for all the characters, not just one. I still find the show to be fun and entertaining as it ever was.

tkofsa

[12]Dec 31, 2011

yeppers i never did quite get why ashely is gone i believe it would help the show the ones they added cerftainly didnt

JayJay81

[13]Jan 1, 2012
    • level: 3

***Spoiler Alert***

AaronThompson wrote:
    I actually don't think that Biggie is dead. I won't say anything here, but anyone who watched the season final should be able to figure out what I mean.

What are you talking about? He was lying in a bloody heap on the Sanctuary's doorstep, and after Magnus checked his pulse she never sent for help or anything. Instead she only looked grim. To me this clearly indicates he was beyond help by that point. Plus a little later the whole thing exploded, so even in the unlikely case that he wasn't dead yet, he surely would be after that.

And Christopher Heyerdahl seems to be a regular on "Hell On Wheels" now, so it looks like he moved on to his next project, making it even more unlikely that he'll be back for one of his two roles on this show.

@tkofsa: They wrote Ashley out because she was too one-dimensional, having lived her entire life inside the Sanctuary. That's why they replaced her with Kate, who actually has a past they can incorporate into some storylines. Ofcourse, personally, I would have chosen to simply ADD Kate to the cast, instead of replacing Ashley (you can never have too many hotties on a show, right?). But that was probably not in the budget or something. In the meantime Emilie Ullerup (the actress who played Ashley) has had spine surgery due toa nasty tumor, but AFAIK she's made a full recovery and should be available to make a return. If that is something the writers would be interested in. And if there's going to be a season 5 ofcourse.

Edited on 01/01/2012 1:17pm
    Edited 3 total times.

LordGrievous

[14]Jan 1, 2012

JayJay81 wrote:

***Spoiler Alert***

AaronThompson wrote:

What are you talking about? He was lying in a bloody heap on the Sanctuary's doorstep, and after Magnus checked his pulse she never sent for help or anything. Instead she only looked grim. To me this clearly indicates he was beyond help by that point. Plus a little later the whole thing exploded, so even in the unlikely case that he wasn't dead yet, he surely would be after that.

And Christopher Heyerdahl seems to be a regular on "Hell On Wheels" now, so it looks like he moved on to his next project, making it even more unlikely that he'll be back for one of his two roles on this show.

@tkofsa: They wrote Ashley out because she was too one-dimensional, having lived her entire life inside the Sanctuary. That's why they replaced her with Kate, who actually has a past they can incorporate into some storylines. Ofcourse, personally, I would have chosen to simply ADD Kate to the cast, instead of replacing Ashley (you can never have too many hotties on a show, right?). But that was probably not in the budget or something. In the meantime Emilie Ullerup (the actress who played Ashley) has had spine surgery due toa nasty tumor, but AFAIK she's made a full recovery and should be available to make a return. If that is something the writers would be interested in. And if there's going to be a season 5 ofcourse.

I never heard anythingabout Ashley being a one-dimensional character I only heard that she had the spine problem and that's why they took her out.

As for Bigfoot his body was laying outside the gates away from the blast, plus Helen could have asked Henry to pick him up when she told him to get out. so that leaves a small chance of his survival.

DarkAcolyte

[15]Jan 2, 2012
    • level: 8

Will is out on the street, see's the burning sanctuary, does not see a dead bigfoot lying outside the gates where Helen left him.

If you dont see them cremated they aint dead

Edited on 01/02/2012 5:57am

MOSTCAPABLEONE

[16]Jan 3, 2012
    DarkAcolyte wrote:

Will is out on the street, see's the burning sanctuary, does not see a dead bigfoot lying outside the gates where Helen left him.

If you dont see them cremated they aint dead

It seemed like to me that his body was still there when the Sanctuary blew up.

bmoshier

[17]Jan 6, 2012

I posted something similar in the official thread for the last episode. I won't repeat myself here directly, but the feeling will be the same - unfortunately.

First let me say I want to see season 5. I said this earlier in the thread and I still go by it today, but when I woke up this morning a thought came to me that we saw not the fourth season ending but the series ending of Sanctuary. Yeah, what a bummer of a way to start the day.

Why did this thought come to me, I honestly don't know but its "justification" is cost and how the "season" ended:

1) The cost of new sets at this point can only play out if the series has more than one season left.

2) In addition to new sets, the series would be paying the actors and crew based upon not a new series but season 5.

3) The way the episode ended wasn't a cliff hanger, it was up beat about the future and saying (to me) "We're ready for our movies now."

Of course, another possibility exists: Sanctuary gets season 5 with the stipulation that the set are directly useful in any upcoming movie. In other words: Last season and you're doing a movie or two and then we're done with it. Yeah, doesn't sound like the current Syfy and how they're treating scripted series.

Anyway, I say more in the official thread for the last episode and yeah, what a bummer of a way to start the new day .....

eaglewingz

[18]Jan 6, 2012
    Ummm, Sanctuary's future has nothing to do with the cost of sets.
    It's filmed almost entirely using virtual sets via green screen.

Considering the ending and ratings I'm leaning toward cancellation, myself.

Im-sarcastic

[19]Jan 9, 2012

My biggest hint that the SERIES itself is indeed over is this:

The very first episode(s) ever were called Sanctuary for All (Parts 1 & 2)

The last [or latest; depending on your POV] were called Sanctuary for None (Parts 1 & 2)

Sadly, this latest season was less than stellar. It was confusing, convoluted, contradictory in spots and, more than anything else, extremely rushed. It felt as though the writers were pressed for time to come up with an ending within the last 4-5 episodes. Just my opinion, of course. I mean, when you have a SINGING episode you know all is lost!

If it comes back - beyond doubtful - then it needs to go back to what worked (Seasons 1-3) in order to be successful. And I highly recommend losing Abby (Big mistake from the start! She's a waste of screen time.)

bmoshier

[20]Jan 10, 2012

eaglewingz wrote:
    Ummm, Sanctuary's future has nothing to do with the cost of sets. It's filmed almost entirely using virtual sets via green screen. Considering the ending and ratings I'm leaning toward cancellation, myself.

Ah, I didn't know that about the sets, but there is cost to the initial design & development of a new set (even virtual), but it would be less.

BTW, what were the ratings for the series? I really don't know and how did they compare to other series?

Bert.