Sanctuary

Normandy

Aired Friday 10:00 PM May 23, 2011 on Syfy

• Normandy

Normandy was a great episode of Sanctuary and I really enjoyed this stand alone episode taking place during World War II. I think it is great for the series to explore the role of the 4 through out their lives and major historical events. This episode was shot in dark tones which really gave it the right feel. I thought it was interesting how Magnus and the others were working against the Nazi's and we see the typing device that Tesla invented in use. It was cool to see the group interacting which adds to the character dynamics. I really look forward to watching the next episode!!!!
  • In Nazi occupied France Magnus, Griffin & Watson conspire with the local Resistance, hours before the Allied Invasion. Watson hopes to destroy a Nazi secret weapon while Nikola Tesla uncovers evidence that the last of the five may be a Nazi.

Impressive, bold, exciting and detailed. This one treats us to a tale of the desperate days before the Allied invasion.

!SPOILERS AHEAD!

Faithfully thrust into a devastated Europe we arrive at would could be THE turning point in the war between Nazi Germany and the Allies, for either side.

Taking advantage of wide shots whenever possible this week is a visual treat. From Amanda Tapping (Magnus) in a beret with red hair to Christopher Heyerdahl (John Druit) in a black S.S. uniform. The smallest detail, well beyond the norm, is accounted for. This week is almost cinematic in its attempt to set the scene. Plot-wise Sanctuary revisited its early attempts from the webisodes - this time choosing an era other than Victorian England - and i think finding its mark.

Oddly reminiscent of the original Wonder Woman series, the pacing is in tune with the era; the musical score is sublime in its overall absence - to its credit building atmosphere over emotion. However, most of the gunfire sounded like machine guns, degrading the battle scenes. The storyline is for the most part plausible and this combined with impressive settings, trimmings and practiced accents make the smaller holes forgivable.

Robin Dunne (Zimmerman) finds a place in history as Captain Jack Zimmerman of the U.S. army. While it is a novelty to see Dunne in this setting it somehow felt contrived, leaving me looking for Ryan Robbins (Henry Foss)as one of the paratroopers. Agam Darshi (Kate Freelander) was sadly absent again. Her appearance in several previous episodes becoming increasingly casual. The use of Jonathon Young (Nikola Tesla) is all too brief.

In the scene where Watson is captured i laughed as he runs out of bullets and puts his hands up to surrender - seconds after gunning half the squad down

An exciting adventure, well told and well painted.