Sanctuary

Nubbins

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Nov 07, 2008 on Syfy

• The trouble with Nubbins

It had been a few months since I saw the first few episodes but after watching last weeks I got back into it. It feels much more like a tv show now but still has a few stumbling blocks to get over. The first of which is originality. Last episode played on the basic premise of 'The Thing' and this incorporates 4 references which are: Gremlins; Critters; Star Trek (tribbles); and Furbies (the 1990s toy). The last two in particular.

The set up is that they find these creatures who look like Furbies and they end up breeding at a rate of Knots. At the same time they take in a predator. Now it doesn't take a brain scientist to work out what the connection is between them. Your slightly thrown off the scent by the fact that both can camouflage themselves, making them almost invisible, but not quite. Whether this camouflage indicates that the predator has evolved from them isn't explained. I liked this fact though gives it a bit of ambiguity. The sexual attraction effect of the creatures wasn't played with enough though.

More interesting is the introduction of an empathic character 'Sophie' who I hope comes back. It shows that the abnormal aspect could be something that is altogether harmless to others. Plus the character was really sympathetic. Without her they wouldn't have found out the Nubbins aversion to cold and that is a good thing.

Henry was great in this episode as well as he had an allergy to the creatures. He's clearly used for comic relief as a character but that doesn't mean he has no depth. I look forward to seeing how the character progresses if he does.

So not particularly original but enjoyable none the less. I'll be watching now that I've got back into it.
ABC