Sanctuary

Syfy (ended 2011)

EarlyMemphis

Sanctuary Fan Reviews (87)

• Sanctuary: Season 3- Came for the "monsters" stayed for the bad plots and ideas

I've come to unwillingly like Sanctuary. Terrible CGI. Music track sounds like its being piped through a tunnel. Acting has doubtful conviction. Stories are not multi-layered even when they try to run two stories. Plots are very thin and sometimes cheeky lines get thrown in the midst of world destruction. So, spotty writers. Sets are hardly changed even though the stories vary in time or place. But, I've loved, or grown to love Sanctuary because sometimes viewing bad on so many levels brings out the little kid in me who used to watch Lost in Space. I think poor quality is inherently charming.

Worst of all and really my favorite ABNORMAL who attempted to take over the world, was the gigantic spider that caused tidal waves. I adored how the show held on to this protagonist "other" for three shows! And, there is even vampire blood that was given to 5 scientists which conferred special powers. Gotta love it!

The best full time actor is the tech guy who is adorable and says stuff that confuses me when he's solving tech issues (really a "hotty") and he happens to turn into some deviant of a werewolf. The lead Amanda Tapping is easily in her 40's. Love that! She has been alive (and will continue due to immortality given to her by smidgen of vampire blood) 159 years. She looks great for an old bird! And, with flashbacks in the season arch I can see her varied hair colors and styles. She is a know-it-all and bossy, but I find her lame despite multiple flashbacks to flesh her story out and to make her more endearing. You do know if she is about to die. She won't. I keep thinking they are trying to kill her off, but it is interesting that a vampire would care to save odd creatures who mostly try to destroy the world.

Yes, the craft of this show is---barely visible, but I love how the absolutely best (sometimes present actor) , a vampire with magnetic super powers who is a scientific genius is lecher and drools for Helen Magnus (every scene that they work together) and droll and full of self-love, but he still helps Sanctuary rescue the world each episode despite being self-centered. He actually is given the very best lines and I'm such a fan of him I don't mind his teeth that look - unlike any actor I've ever seen. Sometimes I think he may actually be a vampire because the digression from vamp teeth to his own seems very marginal.

Finally, Chubaka has a relative. This massive man covered in fur with a monkey and "other worldly" face. He's the ballast in the whole show. He's brilliant, too and very good with Fine French food. I'm not enamored with the "hot male" or "hot ex-thieve" girl. Writers have been trying to pad their back-stories and give them fast and loose lines, but they do have heart and they try so hard to be that they annoy me less and less.