Sanctuary

Sanctuary for All (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Oct 03, 2008 on Syfy

• I haven't seen the webisodes so I saw this pilot with no expectations what so ever and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. During this pilot episode the main characters are introduced and the "world" in which the series is situated is explained.

I haven't seen the webisodes so I saw this pilot with no expectations what so ever and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. During this pilot episode the main characters are introduced and the "world" in which the series is situated is explained. We meet the main characters Will (Robin Dunn), Helen (Amanda Tapping), Ashley (Emilie Ullerup) and John (Christopher Heyerdahl) and the Sanctuary itself is introduced. I guess I could call it an Supernatural, Hellboy, freak-of-the-week kind of series but it's to early to tell. I love Amanda Tapping on SG1 and SGA. Her fulfilling to main character role and being one of the executive producers(!!) of the show gets my hart pumping (you go, girl!). Not only Amanda, but also Christopher Heyerdahl has a SG1/SGA history (and of course stunt coordinator Dan Shea, who I love). All of them impressed me. I thought I wouldn't be able to get "Sam Carter" (Amanda's role on SG1) out of my head but "Sam" became "Helen" quit quickly (perhaps it's the hair). Robin Dunn wouldn't have been my preferred actor for the role of Will but he might surprise me to. His character Will however can evolve in all kinds of directions. Emilie seems to play her part well, although her character is a bit to "Buffy"-like for me. The story gives us loads of possibilities for future episodes and that's a very good thing! It means the show could go on for a long time before encountering the boundaries of the concept. And because it's a greenscreen-show the costs might be controllable as well. It will all depend on the writers. They must find a balance between the freak-of-the-week, and the long-term storylines. If they get it right we will be acing for more each week. I hope they do. Looking at the current writers I have all the faith in the world (don't disappoint me)!

The show is in good hands with the director Martin Wood (another SG1/SGA component). I hope this will be one of those shows I will be able to follow for years to come. Keep up the good work!
ABC