Sanctuary

The Five

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Nov 14, 2008 on Syfy

• The show is getting better and with its own mythology and character developing this episode is the beginning.

When the show was originally broadcast I saw the first 3 episodes and found them quite mediocre. Having recently started watching the repeats I realise that the show once it got past that introductory period has become really good. Unlike the previous 2 episodes which were heavy on the movie references (the thing/gremlins etc.) this in fact develops an original idea. The fact that Helen was originally a part of a group of 5 (a few of which were famous) that experimented by injecting themselves with concentrated vampire blood is something I don't think I've seen before. I also like the fact that vampires were the creators of civilisation, but were wiped out by the Church literally demonising them. Only unpure vampires survived which led to the dark ages. This was one heck of a back-story.

Tessler's (one of the 5) revelation that he wanted Helen to give his newly created braindead vampire minion's intelligence. The way he brought them back plays very nicely on the fact that vampires usually rise automatically. In this case Tessler had to jolt them back to life after feeding them his blood. Braindead they may have been but they defeated the Cabal soldiers with ease once they were let loose.

Also in this episode was the badly thought out revelation that Henry was a man-wolf. As soon as you realise he's ill you jump to the conclusion straight away. This was badly handled therefore, not saved by the creature lurking the corridors not actually being him. Don't get me wrong, it's a good development for the character, just could have been handled better.

Lastly, is John Druitt and his kidnap of Ashley, which contributed well to the backstory of the five, by revealing that the blood had given each a special ability (John's is his teleport). However the main conclusion was to reveal to Ashley that John was in fact her Father. This worked better than Henry's strand and was quite enjoyable.

I'm curious about the five and the revelations revealed here and want to know what Dr James Watson's increased intelligence has brought him. He's not actually shown in profile but we do know he is one of the five. Hopefully he'll turn up soon as he is mentioned by Tessler a few times during his and Helen's conversations.