Sanford and Son

Ebenezer Sanford

Aired Unknown Dec 12, 1975 on NBC

6.9
  • A Sanford and Son rendition of the Charles Dicken's classic "A Christmas Carol".

5.1
    This is the only Christmas themed episode of the series 5 ½ year run. Like so many other sitcoms have done, this is a typical “Christmas Carol” remake but with a Sanford twist. Lamont played all three ghosts of Christmas. Personally, I think Aunt Esther would have made a great Ghost of Christmas Past. The jokes would have written themselves. As far as the ghost’s costumes are concerned, I know the Ghost of Christmas Present was a king and the Ghost of Christmas Future was an astronaut. Ghost of Christmas Past wore something that resembled old eight track tapes, which I guess was appropriate for the seventies. The special and visual effects were pretty average. A couple times you could hear Fred’s voice echo. The young actor who plays young “Fredsie” does a terrible exaggerated Sanford walk. The actor who played Ronnie Smalls would return next season as Aunt Esther’s adopted son. For me, the funniest moment was the scene with Christmas Future asking Fred why he thinks he has no friends or family. As usual, Fred gave a classic Sanford response. Also, you would think the Smalls family would have figured out those were second hand gifts. Oh well, I guess it is the thought that counts. Fred finishes the show with his very own rendition of “The Christmas Song” leaving everyone with one those heart felt endings for the holidays.