Saturday Night Live

Anne Hathaway/Florence + The Machine

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Nov 20, 2010 on NBC

• The pleasure was .........

Tonight's host is Anne Hathaway. Anne hosted 2 years ago, and I said I'd like to see her host often, and, hopefully this is the 2nd out of many hosting stints she gets on the show. She's a truly versatile actress. Musical guest is Florence & The Machine. I've heard two songs by her, "Dog Days Are Over", and "Cosmic Love". I'm excited to see her tonight.

Rachel Maddow Show: I liked the return of the Rachel Maddow show. Abby's Maddow has improved greatly since the last time she did her, about 2 years ago. It sounded like Abby. Now, it sounds somewhat like Rachel Maddow. The sketch was funny, with the making fun of Nancy Pelosi's expressions.

Monologue: This was pretty funny, with everyone asking her to do the same things she's done in movies. Kristen's out-there step on was pretty funny.

TSA: This was a great spin on the recent TSA changes for security checks. I loved the contrast between the sexy actresses, and then the cops. I also loved when they were doing attempted-sexy poses. They picked the 3 most hilarious guys to do it.

Miley Cyrus Show: I'm glad to see this sketch back. Vanessa was great, but Anne really took it home with that Katie Holmes impression. I was laughing so hard throughout the whole sketch.

Thanksgiving Dinner: I was glad to see Penelope return. As long as they do this very limited, I don't mind the character. She had some good lines.

Royal Engagement: This was a hilarious sketch, with extreme kudos to Fred and Bill for putting the best contrast in their "royal" and rough voices.

Musical Performance: Florence performs "Dog Days Are Over" which was a great performance. The audience loved it, as you could tell.

Weekend Update: Tonight's Update was really good, with "Come On Dictionary" being a great segment with Seth. I enjoyed Bobby's Guy Fieri, and Jason's commentary. Jay's commentary was really good, with his impressions being broken out of new artists.

The Essentials: This was a pretty decent sketch. I laughed at Fred's boring character just being so away from the other personalities on the Wizard of Oz.

WXPD: This was a really great sketch, featuring Bill. The facial expressions Bill did made this sketch all the better, and just hilarious.

Mega-Mart: This was a great commercial, spoofing how ridiculous, and life-threatening all the sales of Black Friday really are.

Camel Tame: I was surprised to see two commercials in a row. This was a good idea, still.

Musical Performance: Florence performs "You Got The Love". Another great song.

Horse Play: This was somewhat a lot like the Taylor Swift episode's version. But, it was still fun seeing all these random impressions.

Tonight's show was a really good one. The sketches were funny, and it was consistent the whole way through. Anne did not disappoint, and she was great. Florence was also a great musical guest.

In two weeks, Robert DeNiro hosts with musical guest Diddy Dirty Money.... yeah...

Next week is a repeat of the Bryan Cranston episode with Kanye West.

The lovely and talented Anne Hathaway is your host tonight, someone who did an excellent job her first time around, but unfortunately this time did not exceed my expectations or even meet them. The writing for the show was just terrible, as there were too many talk shows and childish skits, even by this show's standards. The musical guest was bad and I just left the show feeling like I was cheated as a viewer. I do not even really remember anything noteworthy happening, and that is not a good sign as you'll usually fondly remember at least one thing from a show. Not bad, just a forgettable 90 minutes.
  • A host that brings a lot to the table, and a musical guest I want to see.

Saturday Night Live
    Anne Hathaway/Florence & The Machine
    Originally aired November 20 2010 Saturdays, 11:30/10:30c NBC

Inconsistency from episode-to-episode aside, I like SNL a lot. During this time of year, my social life is dead anyway (homework Saturday nights, working Sunday mornings) so it's good to have some entertainment. The first few episodes of this season have been unusually good, actually. They just introduced several new castmembers who are gelling with the vets quicker than most newbies. They've had a string of good hosts. The one-off sketches are more engaging than ever and the recurring sketches aren't as obnoxious. This week's host was Anne Hathaway, a talented actress who usually does critically acclaimed works I don't get around to seeing (Brokeback Mountain, Rachel Getting Married) or popular fare I intentionally avoid (Princess Diaries, The Devil Wears Prada.) She was funny in Get Smart, though, and from her monologue seemed genuinely excited to be hosting for a second time. The show has really been into recurring female hosts lately, with her, Scarlett Johanssen (who has her own recurring sketch) and former castmembers like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. The "five-timers club" currently contains only two female members (Candice Bergen, who last hosted in 1990, and Drew Barrymore, who is still current.)

One of the highlights was Fred Armisen and Bill Hader as Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip as Eastender British thugs roughing up Royal fiancée Kate Middleton (Hathaway.) I honestly don't know whether anyone in the United States truly cares about the Royals (or for that matter, anyone in Canada or the UK,) but given they're all over the tabloids in all three countries, they're fair game for material, and seeing Armisen pull up his knee, hiking up his old lady dress to intimidate Hathaway was worth the price of admission.

Also great was Vanessa Bayer's second go as the titular host of the "Miley Cyrus Show." It usually takes a few awkward attempts for a newbie to get a decent impression or recurring bit out there (anyone remember Bobby Moynihan's first couple weeks? Better you don't) but I think the first MCS skit was in the second episode of the season, with Bryan Cranston as Billy Ray (now replaced by Jason Sudeikis.) Her impression is that valuable combination of authentic-plus-exaggerated. Authenticity itself isn't funny, but you need to start with what's there before you can start making comedy out of it. Speaking of which, her interviewee was Hathaway doing a scarily accurate Katie Holmes/Kate Cruise. Throughout the course of the show, Hathaway showed great versatility (using a different voice in pretty much every sketch) and it was put to good use. The last great sketch of the night was "Mega Mart," a short that played a lot like (possibly the greatest skit of the past decade,) "Underground Rock Festival," from last season. It shows that the writers are really getting the hang of the Internet generation's sense of humour (less dialogue, more hilarious nonsense without elaboration.)

Florence & the Machine put out one of the great albums of 2010, so it was great to see her on the show. She's not as flashy as some of the performers who've come out lately, but she's approximately 1,000,000 times as talented with material that is also that much better.

If I had to criticize the episode, I... probably wouldn't, actually. The rest of the night was uneven but entertaining. A good episode of SNL doesn't need to hit a home run in every sketch, but the bad ones shouldn't be hard to watch, and here all the lame ones ("Horse Play," and the 1000th Penelope skit) entertained at least a little. The writers served both the cast and the host well, and Florence & the Machine probably inspired a lot of people to download her CD. I have a feeling the show is going into one of those period where it's assured of itself enough that even the worst bits are pretty good.
  • Anne Hathaway hosts for the second time

7.6
    For a season that's been extremely uneven (no disrespect to the hosts, but much to the writing staff), Anne Hathaway did a pretty awesome job here. I didn't get to see her the first time she hosted (with all the episodes up on Netflix, I'll be getting to that ASAP), but this one was pretty impressive. If only the writing could be a bit better...

Not all of the skits were hilarious, and Anne wasn't necessarily funny in all of them, but she was still did a great job. I loved her as Katie Holmes on the Miley Cyrus show.. she got all of Katie's little quirks down and was impressive at the same time, and the monologue at the beginning was pretty hilarious too as a riff on how much of a big deal is made out of being naked in roles. And even if Kristen Wiig comes on a bit strong at times, I love it whenever she plays certain roles, one of them being the Penelope character. Anne did a great job here as well, giving Kristen a run for her money, and even if Penelope always wins against the hosts and other actors, I thought Anne stole the show here tonight against many of the actors

Overall, there's not much I'd complain about here.. compared to some of the other episodes this season, this episode was great.