Saturday Night Live

Brian Williams/Feist

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Nov 03, 2007 on NBC

• Out of character for Brian Williams, that is.

When I saw the name "Brian Williams" on the list of upcoming SNL hosts, I thought there was another celebrity with the name Brian Williams. You know, an actor with that name or something? When I found out it was anchorman Brian Williams, I held my breath. I like the guy, but can he really make it in live comedy?

The answer: Yes, sir. He met and exceeded expectations by the end of his monologue.

Williams was brilliant. His bit in the monologue where he turned it into a newscast showed that he did indeed have the comedic talent to make the show a good one. I loved the "Riley's Way" skit where he was a newly fired high school principal. His line of "You can go to Hell, you can lose 10 pounds, and you're gay knows no comedic bounds. The Digital Short with him leaving a voice message on his own phone was hilarious.

Williams did an amazing job altering his usually monotone voice and making us laugh by doing it. He remained calm under pressure despite being in a situation he's never been in before (live TV comedy, that is).

Definitely one of the best SNL episodes I have seen in some time. Brian Williams was able to poke fun at himself and make us laugh doing it. Kudos, Brian, and I hope the writers give you another chance to show your genius on SNL.

One final note: Brian Williams' stock has gone up in my book. I may not watch his newscasts, but I now know what lies beyond his TV appearances, and I respect him even more now for his SNL appearance. Again, well done.
VH1CL