A Saturday Night Live Community
Saturday 11:30 PM on NBC
Listed from most to least likely...

Hosts:

Tom Hanks (The Post): With him starring alongside Meryl Streep in a Spielberg-directed movie coming out on Christmas weekend, David S. Pumpkins still fresh on people's minds (whether you liked that silly Halloween cartoon or not), and on the threshold of his tenth hosting appearance, Hanks seems like the prime candidate to close out the year...

Anna Kendrick (Pitch Perfect 3): I may not have been much a fan of her last hosting appearance, but I always acknowledged the possibility of her being brought back for a second go...If Hanks doesn't host the Christmas episode, it will probably be her...

Demi Lovato (Tell Me You Love Me): A Disney Channel actress and pop superstar who performed (surprisingly well) on the show before and has a pretty successful album out now? Seems due for the SNL double-duty hosting treatment...

Kevin Hart (Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle): I don't think anyone is expecting the new "Jumanji" movie to be any good, but I suppose a plug from someone who's done well on the show before wouldn't be too improbable...

James Franco (The Disaster Artist): He's already hosted three times, and got a little less impressive with each appearance...But I suppose an episode filled with jokes about "The Room" would be pretty amazing, especially if Tommy Wiseau actually showed up...

Hugh Jackman (The Greatest Showman): The likelihood of Jackman ever making a comeback to this show has been dwindling, but it hasn't completely evaporated yet like the possibility of ever seeing Kevin Spacey or most recently Louis C.K. ever host again...I'm not holding my breath, but still...I'd also consider Zac Efron to promote this movie, but after "Baywatch", chances are he's not going to be on anyone's watch-list anytime soon...

Rebel Wilson (Pitch Perfect 3): If Anna's not promoting the movie, I suppose there's always the slight chance that they'll give her big-name co-star a chance...That said, it does seem a little late in her career to book her now...

Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Last Jedi): Not that I don't think she'll host; She most likely will...But they're probably going to have her open the next year like they did with the other "Star Wars" plugs...The only question is, how long can they keep up this annual tradition that they recently developed...?

Blake Shelton (Texoma Shore): Ehh...I liked him last time...Though I'm not sure how eager they are to bring him back...

Justin Timberlake (Wonder Wheel): They'll probably wait for his next album before booking him again, unless this movie does THAT WELL...

Musical Guests:

Demi Lovato: See above.

St. Vincent: Her new album's getting some good praise, and she put on one of the best musical performances on the show in recent years...She seems due to return...

Sia: SNL doesn't usually promote Christmas albums, but they seem to like her enough to jump at the opportunity for a third appearance from her...And maybe she can throw in that song from the "My Little Pony" movie for good measure...

Chris Stapleton: The unfortunate thing about this show is that lately it has leaned away from bringing back acts that have put on strong performances in the past in favor of just whoever's super-popular...But I hope there's still enough relevance in Chris Stapleton to give us at least one more appearance...

Kendrick Lamar: His album's kind of old news now, but he is surely going to get nominated for Album of the Year among many others in the coming Grammys (and will probably be the front-runner to win them all, assuming there's no Taylor-Swift-type to ruin it for him...) And I suppose it may be tempting for them to match him up with Anna Kendrick, just so they could joke about their names...While SNL usually prefers plugging brand new albums, never underestimate the likelihood of a late plug...

Foo Fighters: SNL seems to have developed an aversion in recent years to rock acts that are any edgier than all the big rappers out there right now...But I do consider the slight possibility of Foo Fighters being just relevant enough right now to serve as one of those novelty picks for the Christmas episode or something, despite the reception of their new album only being moderately successful...

Beck: In a similar boat as Foo Fighters, though has a slight disadvantage due to having performed more recently, so has less novelty value...Also, these two acts have been neck and neck on the appearance scoreboard for years, and Beck is currently one ahead, so perhaps the score should be evened again...

Blake Shelton: See above.

Maroon 5: Despite their new song gaining traction on the charts, their new album's a critical flop, and they no longer have the relevance that they had a few years ago...If they're going to perform on the show again, they'll probably wait until they release another single...

Imagine Dragons: They too still have traction on the charts, but if SNL wanted them back, they probably would have booked them earlier...(Then again, the last time they were on, their album and singles were already about a year-and-a-half old...)

Bjork: Another possibility for the novelty pick to close out the year...She doesn't seem nearly as relevant as Beck and Foo Fighters right now, but I wouldn't be against a return from the Icelandic eccentric...

U2: They're still shaking off the controversy of their last album, but they still have a reputation as one of the biggest bands of all time, so they seem like a choice to close the year as well...(Not a LIKELY choice, but still a choice...)

Arcade Fire: Their time to promote their new album seems to have passed, but I suppose I wouldn't deny the very slight possibility of THEM being the novelty choice for the Christmas episode...

The National: Their new album did well...Is SNL chomping at the bit to have them back? I dunno...

Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile: Despite how well Barnett did last time, this doesn't seem like the album they would bring her back for...

Charlie Puth: In a similar boat to Daisy Ridley, in that I do think he'll be on the show very soon, but not likely in December...Since all of the musical guest choices so far this season have been recurring ones, they'll probably go all the way by picking three of the above choices for December, so that the entire first half of the season will be consistent with it...(Granted, Puth appeared on the show before with Wiz Khalifa, but guest performers don't count...) With his album coming out in January, he will no doubt be one of the first two musical guests for 2018...

Halsey: Another one who will probably perform early next year, though not quite as likely as Puth due to her lack of a personality...(At least Puth is WORKING on his...)

Tove Lo: Well, she had some success in the past...Maybe NOW (or early 2018) is the time to give her a chance, assuming her music shows much personality this time either...

Wolf Alice: Their album did very well critically, though at this point I guess who they book with Ridley in January all comes down to which new face is getting nominated for Album of the Year...? (Especially if it's another pushing-40 country singer...)

Post Malone: He's pretty big right now...Once his songs finally fall out of the Top 40, nobody's going to care anymore...

22 Comments
Comments (22)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 02, 2018
Well, tomorrow is the last live show before NBC goes into wall-to-wall Olympic coverage. I assume a March prediction thread in inevitable, JM5K?
Flag
Feb 05, 2018
My heart just wasn't in it...I certainly wasn't going to predict Barkley making a fourth appearance, and I'm not sure how seriously I would have considered Migos, though I guess there is going to be at least one trap artist per season as long as it's still a thing...

(On a side note, you notice how every time Barkley hosts, it's the first show of something? First it was a season premiere, the next two times were the first shows of their respective years, and now it's the first show after the olympic hiatus...Just thought I'd point that out...)

But I'm still going to call Timberlake for the other week...I just hope they don't make the show all fanservice-y like they always do whenever he's on...I just think he can host a simple, humble show for once...

Flag
Feb 05, 2018
...with JT? Naw. :P In all likelihood, they'll hold him off until sweeps. The other March host will likely be a low-key first timer.
Flag
Feb 20, 2018
Well, I was going to say that his time may have already passed, as nothing he's done lately was very successful, but it looks like Arcade Fire is making an overdue plug, so I guess you never know...

And doth my eyes deceive me? They're actually doing a show for St. Patrick's Day!? How long has it been since the last Patty's Day special!? Though I'm not sure how Irish either of the guests are...I know AF is from Canada...Perhaps the Butler brothers have some Irish blood in them...?

And as much as I'm looking forward to Bill's return, I can't help but wonder when a former cast-member will get to host for the first time again...Last first-time SNL alum host we got was Fred Armisen, which was almost two years ago...

And on a final note...Women's History Month is looking like a bit of a sausage fest...Not that it's that big a deal, just saying...

Flag
Dec 31, 2017

This season's been pretty hit and miss so far...There was only one episode in this half of a season that I found consistent...There was hardly anything I could remember from the political sketches or Weekend Update...And out of the featured players, while Chris, Mikey and Alex seem to have established their staying power, Melissa has been getting next to no notable characters, Luke is practically absent, and Heidi, while she has had one or two moments...Ehhh, I'll be honest, I don't find her very funny...As usual, they still have time to establish themselves better, but for now, those three appear to be on the chopping block...

And now for the host ranking...As usual, my ranking of the hosts is not based on my opinions of the overall episodes that they each hosted, but rather how much they contributed to said episodes, and how they did with the material they were given...

9: Gal Gadot
8: Larry David
7: Ryan Gosling
6: Saoirse Ronan
5: Tiffany Haddish
4: Chance the Rapper
3: Kevin Hart
2: Kumail Nanjiani
1: James Franco

Musical guests were quite consistent...None of them were necessarily a home-run, but they all at least had something to offer...It probably helps that all but one of them were established artists (one or two of them even managed to step up their stage presence quite a bit from before), and the other one seems well on her way to joining in their ranks...

9: Taylor Swift
8: Jay-Z
7: Miley Cyrus
6: U2
5: SZA
4: Sam Smith
3: P!nk
2: Eminem
1: Foo Fighters

More+
Flag
Dec 29, 2017
There's an aversion to rock acts because rock acts aren't getting CHR radio play.
Flag
Dec 30, 2017
Things are sure to change soon...Even the big name artists are becoming less relevant now, and I highly doubt that the current trend of trap music will last very long...Chances are, a resurgence in rock music is nigh...It won't sound EXACTLY like what we've had before, but it will have a similar spirit...
Flag
Nov 28, 2017
Well whaddya know...They actually booked a musical guest who hasn't been on the show before! I guess SZA is the odd girl out in a line-up of acts that are otherwise all recurring ones...Honestly, I'm a little disappointed that they didn't keep it consistent all the way through...But she seems like a decent artist, so I look forward to seeing how she does...

And they're ending the year's music with Foo Fighters...Sweet!

Kind of odd that they're booking Franco a week late to plug his new movie...But again, if we get a Tommy Wiseau cameo, that'll make my night...

Kevin Hart's also kind of an odd choice to close out the year considering that his last appearance was not his best, but hey, I got no real complaints...Also, this will make a total of FOUR stand-up comedians in the first half of the season (three of them being in a row...) I don't think we're likely to see anymore this season, unless they're eager enough to bring back Chappelle or Ansari...(Though we're DEFINITELY not seeing Louis return...)

Flag
Jan 16, 2018
I know this reply is all the way in the next year, but SZA is bound to be one of the standout MG's of the season. Kudos to whoever had the idea of booking her.
Flag
Nov 28, 2017
I personally pin half of the blame on the producers of Bad Moms Christmas and the producer of her hit tv show "The Good Place" for failing to recognize Kristen Bell's potential as a guest host, and I think the reason why SNL is scared of picking Kristen Bell as a guest host is because of her reputation of appearing in consistently bad movies.
I still believe Kristen Bell is talented and funny enough to host SNL, and still deserves a chance to host, but they can NOT continue to overlook her as a potential guest host and miss opportunities to get Kristen Bell as a potential guest host, and I hope at some point during the second half of the season, Lorne Michaels decides to give Kristen Bell the opportunity to host SNL she has been denied before, possibly of her reputation of appearing in consistently bad movies, with the director getting most of the blame for it.
And, I do not want to be saying to myself "IF ONLY SNL HAD GOTTEN KRISTEN BELL AS ONE OF THEIR GUEST HOSTS A HELLUVA LOT EARLIER OR SOONER..." again next summer.
Flag
Nov 28, 2017
Hey man, as long as you don't keep writing that stuff here and on Facebook...You really need to cool it with these rants on why "They need to have [insert name here] host!" We all have our dream hosts and dream musical guests for this show, and we can't always have them...

You just need to chill, and quietly hope to yourself instead of making post after post of redundant ramblings about Kristen Bell; To me, that only makes it LESS likely that they're going to book her...The most you can do is write the request on SNL's Facebook page when they start making calls for them before the season...

I'm starting to think that you're either a whiny and obsessive Kristen Bell fanboy, or a troll...I don't want to believe that; I want to believe that you're a decent human being...

So instead of you making these constant rants about the same celebrity, how about we all just have an honest discussion about who IS appearing, and predictions of who WILL appear...And maybe, just occasionally, we can briefly talk about who we'd really like to see, instead of spamming the comment section about them...

Prove to me that there's more on your mind than just Kristen Bell...

More +
Flag
Nov 19, 2017
They seem to have a concentration this season on hosts who I've never even heard of before...I mean, the most I can even say is that I've seen Kumail Nanjiani's face somewhere before, but otherwise, him, Tiffany Haddish and Saoirse Ronan were completely under my radar...But the latter of the three seems to have starred in quite a few critical successes, so she may be quite the rising star...

I sure didn't intend that U2 would return...(Another trend I'm noticing this season is that every odd musical guest so far is someone who hasn't been on the show in a long time...) But since they're not closing out the year, I can't help but wonder who could possibly follow them...There are a couple choices at the top of the list above, but probably my most educated guesses based on a trend the show got into lately would be St. Vincent for the week after, and then Sia for the Christmas episode...
Flag
Nov 22, 2017
If I'm not mistaken this will be U2's first appearance on the show since the season 35 opener in 2009 with Megan Fox.
Flag
Nov 22, 2017
That is correct...Both Jay-Z and Taylor Swift's last performances on the show were that season as well, and Pink...Well, damn, HER last appearance was way back in 2003!
Flag
Nov 19, 2017
Actually, I did see "Hanna". The critics seem to love a LOT of this girl's performances...
Flag
Nov 18, 2017
Hanks hosted last October, so I think it's a little soon to bring him back, although I could be wrong. Wouldn't be too surprised by Franco returning and Ridley being a first-time host.

Two things I've noticed about all the musical guests this season so far, from Jay-Z through Eminem. First, none of them have been first-timers. And the show hasn't yet brought any indie or alternative bands in, like Arcade Fire or Beck. St. Vincent would break the pattern in the second way. Cardi B would change things in the first way. I mean, they have to have someone on at some point they haven't had before.
Flag
Jan 02, 2018
You make a point; Hanks is not above a cameo or two, but since the early '90s he only hosts about once or twice a decade.
Flag
Nov 19, 2017
You really think they wouldn't bring Hanks back over a year after his last appearance, when they had hosts like John Goodman, Alec Baldwin, John Hamm and Melissa McCarthy host LESS than a year between appearances? There are always those hosts who they know a lot of fans will be wanting more of very soon, so they don't wait too long...

And yes, I pointed out the lack of first-time musical guests so far this season a while ago, and while I do feel that they will probably go all the way for this half of the season by making it nothing but recurring ones (I mean, what new relevant artist do you really see them booking right now who doesn't come off as flash-in-the-pan, or can wait until 2018?), I simply attribute the lack of bands to a trend that's been going on for a little while now...For instance, two years ago, it took them until the Christmas episode to finally book Bruce Springsteen...Not a single rock act before that...But I wouldn't factor out one or two appearing by the end of the year...

Flag
Dec 29, 2017
I didn't hear you complain when Steve Martin hosted three times in one season. :P
Flag
Dec 30, 2017
Ah, early seasons...They were so weird by today's standards...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members