A Saturday Night Live Community
Saturday 11:30 PM on NBC

OKAY, SO WHO'S LEFT? NEWS

... Funny guy Fred Armisen has confirmed that he is not returning to Saturday Night Live, ending speculation about his future with the show. According to Armisen, he left a while back but just didn't want to make a big deal out of it. He'll continue to put in more work on his IFC series Portlandia and seemed to indicate that he'll eventually do the typical SNL homecoming and host like all good former players do. [Splitsider]

BUSINESS TIME

... Zooey Deschanel: "Hey grrrrrrrrl! What'cha doin'?" Girl: "Watching New Girl reruns on Netflix, now stop singing at me!" Season 1 of the Fox comedy is now available on Netflix's streaming video service, in case you want to relive those early episodes where Winston didn't have much to do as opposed to those later episodes where Winston didn't have much to do.  [Variety]

... If watching a goofy girl in glasses play the ukelele isn't your thing, perhaps something a tad bit darker? HBO is posting one season of The Sopranos per month on its On Demand feed starting with Season 1 in July. Honor recently deceased star James Gandolfini by binge-watching until your eyes bleed. [HBO via press release]

... Lifetime's original movie Anna Nicole, a biopic of America's sweetheart Anna Nicole Smith, drew 3.3 million viewers on Saturday night. Showtime's debut of Ray Donovan set a network high for a series premiere, with 1.35 million viewers on Sunday night. Therefore, if we ignore the fact that Showtime is a pay cable network that most people don't have while Lifetime is all over the place, America likes Anna Nicole Smith more than some guy named Ray Donovan. I reviewed Ray Donovan for this lovely site. I didn't review Anna Nicole, but I can only assume it was amazing. [Lifetime via press release / Showtime via press release]

... ABC has ordered a fourth season of Extreme Weight Loss, a docu-drama that follows the systematic obliteration of fat cells in those with a larger carriage. Thirteen two-hour episodes have been requested. Season 3 is currently airing on Tuesday nights. I like to watch from underneath a fort made out of the night's Taco Bell wrappers. [ABC via press release]

... NBC won the big The Bible sequel sweepstakes. The network and producer Mark Burnett will team up on a follow-up of History Channel's enormously popular The Bible miniseries. A.D.: Beyond the Bible will catch us up on what's going on with Jesus after the events of the original series. I didn't see the final hour of The Bible but I can only assume Jesus is up to his ol' hijinks again! [NBC via press release]

... NBC is developing a new sketch-comedy series starring young fairly unknown talent that it hopes will go on to star in new series for the network. Gee, why haven't they thought of doing that before? [THR]

... Fox is reportedly interested in picking up the John Mulaney pilot that NBC rejected. Fox has asked for a script from hot comic, with the chance at a quick six-episode pickup if they like what they see. NBC's version of the comedy was a multi-camera series loosely based on Mulaney's life, starring Mulaney as the writer for a game show hosted by a character played by Martin Short. Presumably, a lot of that would stick around on Fox's version. [Deadline Hollywood]

CASTING NEWS

... Glee's Jayma Mays is replacing Mary Elizabeth Ellis in the upcoming CBS comedy The Millers (Mays will still be available to drop by Glee). Mays will play a character named Debbie, the sister of Will Arnett's character. The show's cast also includes Emmy-winner Margo Martindale, who farts for laughs. Just a suggestion: Drop the boring name The Millers in favor of Farts for Laughs. I'd watch a show called Farts for Laughs, but I will not watch a show called The Millers. I have no dignity. [TV Line]

... More Glee casting news: After demoting five cast members last week, the Fox musical comedy drama (comedramical) has promoted five others to regular status. Melissa Benoist (Marley), Jacob Artist (Jake), Becca Tobin (Kitty), and Glee Project participants Blake Jenner and Alex Newell will all get a lot more camera time next season. [THR]

... ABC Family's Switched at Birth has brought on Mallrats and Chasing Amy actress Joey Lauren Adams to help out with Season 2. Adams will play Nikki's mother in a pair of episodes scheduled for early August. [TV Line]

... Revolution has added Gossip Girl's Patrick Heusinger to its cast for a recurring role in Season 2. He'll play a guy named Adam who is described as a handsome 30-something. No word on whether or not his character punches Charlie in the face, but there's a good chance he will. [Deadline Hollywood]

... Ben Rappaport (Outsourced) is joining CBS's The Good Wife in a recurring role next season. The actor will play a four-year associate at Lockhart-Gardner. Now when you watch The Good Wife, you can impress your friends by saying, "Hey! It's that guy from Outsourced!" [Deadline Hollywood]

SUPER IMPORTANT TV NEWS

... The Big Bang Theory's Kaley Cuoco MIGHT be dating Man of Steel star Henry Cavill. Who's the huge nerd NOW, Kaley? [US Magazine]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/21/2016

Season 41 : Episode 22

30 Comments
Comments (30)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Jayma Mays will always be Charlie to me.
Flag
So I'm not the only person that remember Outsourced. (that was such a good show)
Flag
Ugh, go away The Millers, you are a train wreck at every turn now, you are like the pilot version of the debacle behind Up All Night. But good on ya, Tim, for "Farts for Laughs", that got both out of me.

Joey Lauren Adams was also the jailbait buddy on Matt LeBlanc's short-lived Married with Children spinoff, "Top of the Heap".

NBC is so good at finding timeslots where people want to view sketch comedy. HAAAAAAA, no, that's not right, the other one. Anyway, it's not who's on the show that matters, it's the vision behind the show, which is why NBC will fail, they have no vision anymore.

I caught a few moments of that Anna Nicole movie last night while hunting for something to kill the late-night rerun blues, and holy crap was it cheesy. Even the strip club and playboy-hopeful photography scenes couldn't hold me (also, pretty sure Anna Nicole sent in trashy polaroids, not studio shots). So why didn't Price review Anna Nicole, Tim???
Flag
What is it about players from this generation of SNL like Armisen and Wiig and now Kate McKinnon where they have competent talent but on live TV they pop their eyes out and overact with their expressions really horribly? They all make good actors and voice-actors in other stuff, but on SNL they mug at the camera terribly. For me, it was exceptionally grating, and now that I think about it, they're the ones who always take a character way too far into stupid territory. Maybe it's a specific subset of improv comics.

Anyway, Armisen's leaving is not a surprise, nor was Bill Hader's. I thought Sudeikis was leaving as well, but apparently there's been no announcement. And is Seth Meyers going to announce at the end of the summer officially? Now if we could just get rid of Kenan, sorry buddy but you are stuck on awful and repetitive, that may have flown on All That but we adults have lower thresholds for crap.
Flag
Staff
I keep waiting for "NBC is out of SNL"
Flag
It costs nothing and a half, and has no competition. SNL could air static for half the show and NBC would still posts profits on it. They're never letting it go, they're just waiting for Lorne Michaels to step down so they can swoop in and ruin it worse.
Flag
I'm still waiting for a movie/tvshow/thing about Jesus to actually cast Jesus as a middle-Eastern man....
Flag
So.. another good one departs from SNL ...
Flag
Melissa Benoist is so fine!
Flag
even though it wasnt official until now, it was easy to see he was moving on...especially after that finale song.
good for him and carrie. concentrate on making more portlandia. that show is so great! the wife & i love it.
Flag
I thought Armisen was gone after his goodbye song at the end of the season finale. He was emotional and it came across (to me anyway) as his final goodbye. Sad to see him go. Losing him, Hader and Wigg so close together is rough.

Hoping John Mulaney's show does get picked up. He's a very funny guy.
Flag
Armisen's pretty good overall, but nobody's carrying SNL to anywhere good, anyway.

Pretty accurate about Winston, or as they call him, "He's There, Satisfied?"
Flag
I liked Sudeikis for the "carrying SNL" role up until this season where it seemed like he was phoning in every episode.
Flag
He's good, but he's been phoning it in since at least the year before that. Never the whole time, but you can tell when he's doing something he knows sucks, like that cheesy strip joint dj. He had that one before Kristen Wiig left.

The Mokiki guy's good, and I actually think (Dunno-her-first-name...Cecily?) Strong is pretty good, but they're new.
Flag
The Bible is historically accurate as the Clash of the Titans.
Flag
I never particularly liked Fred Armisen but I didn't mind him... might as well have left, all the good ones have..

Martin Short has always kind of gotten on my nerves, but I do like John Mulaney.

why is it such big news that those people got demoted when they were really only guest stars, and these new kids were the regulars? get your act together Fox. I like Jayma Mays and Emma was an ok character but she hasn't served a purpose since season 2, and even then basically just season 1.. I hope that her being gone means we get less personal storylines with Mr. Schue, they're always ridiculously stupid. I also won't be watching The Millers, but that's because I don't like Will Arnett
Flag
Fred Armisen is Out at Saturday Night Live; to me interpreted as out = gay, worded weird. Portlandia is better anyhow.
Flag
Tim, nearly everything you write makes me laugh. Oh, silly Jesus! And Yes, Please!, to Farts for Laughs!!
Flag
And Glee puts another bullet in its foot. This hot mess just got hotter.
Flag
And THAT is the fine distinction between legitimate network channels and the CW: If Switched at Birth were on the latter, Joey Lauren would be playing her grandmother. And then we'd all have to kill ourselves because the girl from Mallrats is old enough to play a grandma and then what even is the point anymore???
Flag
NBC sure does love their fantasy shows.
Flag
Armisen is wise to leave SNL since they really lightened up his work load after doing Obama. No idea why since I actually felt he was the lead guy or at least high up with his tenure. Eventually was taken down to some side act which I don't get? Look forward to more Portlandia anyway. And I'll never forget his portrayal of the blind NY governor, haha. Funniest thing during that time but I probably can't say that with all our wakky sensitivity of course. :P

I'm basically tired of Glee but it's good news to move the newer cast up in the ranks.
Flag
You're not wrong about Winston on New Girl Tim. If New Girl named its episodes like Friends did they could all be called 'The One Where Winston Doesn't Have A Plot'.
Flag
or 'The One Where We Miss Coach'
Flag
No required reading?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members