A Saturday Night Live Community
Saturday 11:30 PM on NBC

So I was planning on going into a little more detail than I am going to about this season, but I think Stuart pretty much said everything there is to be said...This is the most effort I've seen from this show in a while! That said, I really do wish we could all move on from ripping on the same guy...Again, it's not SNL's fault, and for the most part, these disses on the president are not undeserved...I just wish we could find some time of peace from all this...But I'm sounding like a broken record here...

As for the turnover between this season and the next, I personally feel that they should keep everyone else (for now). Mikey actually does seem to be getting some level of establishment, and while Alex and Melissa still have a way to go, they both hold enough promise to at least try out for one more season...

As for the repertory players, I suppose there are some odds against Pete and Kyle, but I still feel that there are ways they could still be utilized...Even Leslie is starting to look a little less valuable now...But since they just dropped Sasheer, they'll want to hold on to her at least a little longer...

Now, the main idea with Kenan staying around was to break Darrell Hammond's record for longest-running cast-member...And technically, he already did, since Hammond's time was cut a little shorter due to the Writer's Strike during Season 33...But I get it, in order for it to be official, Kenan needs one more season...And then he has to go! There is no reason for ANYONE to even aim for such a ridiculous record, let along stay in the cast as long as he has...As far as I'm concerned, he has one more season! Any longer will just be too far!

Alright, now for my end-of-season guest countdowns!

Musical Guests:

21: Maren Morris. Easily the most forgettable performance of the bunch...Pity, because her performance at the Grammys with Alicia Keys proved that she can be pretty good if she wants to...

20: The xx. Some interesting choices made for these performances...Unfortunately, it just didn't work...

19: The Chainsmokers. Definitely the worst singer of the season, but the set and stage presence were interesting enough to win them some points...

18: Big Sean. No real issues with this performance, though aside from the set, nothing stood out either...

17: Alessia Cara. Nice singing...Not much else to say...

16: Shawn Mendes. Nice singing AND stage presence, but it was pretty easy to forget about him...

15: Harry Styles. He's doing much better as a solo artist...But again, aside from his singing, as well as a decent set, not much else to say...

14: Father John Misty. Hard to tell if his dancing was nervous or deliberate, but he gave us what he came to give, for better or worse...

13: Solange. Like the above entry, her dance moves are an acquired taste...But just because her sister is the Queen Bey doesn't mean she has to be as big of a presence herself...

12: HAIM. Not super-memorable, but they did their job...

11: Katy Perry. While I'm pretty sick of every pop diva having to be big and flashy with their performances, this was still relatively entertaining...Though that kid with the backpack stole the show!

10: Twenty One Pilots. One of the biggest breakouts of the season! Though maybe Beanie-Head could sing a little less next time and focus more on rapping...

9: Chance the Rapper. All I can say is that this artist is going places!

8: Ed Sheeran. Honestly, if he did what he did for his Grammy performance, he would be near the top!

7: Lady Gaga. It's Lady Gaga, what do you expect!?

6: Lorde. There's just something about this young lady that stands out in a sea of divas...

5: LCD Soundsystem. I don't care what anyone else says, I am glad these guys finally got to perform on this show!

4: A Tribe Called Quest. Same for these guys!

3: The Weeknd. One of the best performers of our modern era!

2: Sturgill Simpson. Probably one of the Top 5 best performances in recent years, though he just BARELY loses the top spot to...

1: Bruno Mars. Winner by one dance from his dressing room to the main stage!

And now that I took the time to think about it, here's my Top 5 best SNL musical performances in recent years:

5: Alabama Shakes (Season 38)
4: Sturgill Simpson (Season 42)
3: Bruno Mars (Season 42)
2: Kanye West (Season 36)
1: Prince (Season 40)

Hosts:

21: Kristen Stewart. Decent show, but this lady is no stage performer!

20: Felicity Jones. Easily the weakest show of the season, despite whatever effort she might have made...

19: Margot Robbie. The show was fine, but the host was VERY easy to forget...

18: Casey Affleck. The Dunkin' Donuts sketch earns him some easy points, but otherwise, quite forgettable...

17: Octavia Spencer. Easily the SECOND weakest show of the season, though I could tell she was eager to at least TRY to make it work...

16: Emily Blunt. I think underneath all of the mediocre sketches, there was a great host just waiting to get out, but never got the chance...

15: Jimmy Fallon. I guess he could have done less hogging of the spotlight...

14: Benedict Cumberbatch. Another forgettable host, but that's not to say he didn't have his moments...

13: John Cena. Capable, but in terms of the season's best, I can't see him...(See what I did there?)

12: Scarlett Johansson. Okay, so she's a Five-Timer...Any further reason to bring her back again...?

11: Kristen Wiig. Not the best display of her abilities, but I know how funny she can be under the right kinds of writers...

10: Melissa McCarthy. Not a stand-out McCarthy episode, but far from bad...

9: Dwayne Johnson. The episode itself may have been disappointing, but Johnson never slowed down his charisma!

8: Alec Baldwin. While his Trump impression may have worn out its welcome, he still brought his A-game to an otherwise...serviceable show...

7: Emma Stone. Overall decently balanced, and she had plenty to work with! In my opinion, the best female host of the season...

6: Chris Pine. The surprise breakout of the season...I would love to see him on the show again, though hopefully next time he doesn't need to sing so much...

5: Lin-Manuel Miranda. He had his shot, and he didn't blow it! While the quality of this episode was mostly thanks to the writing, I would still love to see him on the show again someday!

4: Louis C.K. THANK YOU, SCOTT! But seriously, this man has proven to be a reliable regular!

3: Tom Hanks. I guess all I need to say is David S. Pumpkins! But overall, Hanks is another host that SNL can rely on, and I hope I don't have to wait another decade or so for his tenth hosting gig!

2: Aziz Ansari. I can see Aziz becoming SNL's next Louis C.K., especially since he can write a lot of the material for them!

1: Dave Chappelle. While I knew that this man had the writing talent, I certainly wasn't expecting this episode to be as strong as it was! I can only imagine how great of a host he would have been during his golden age while "Chappelle's Show" was still airing...

So overall, this was a pretty good season...That said, I do hope SNL can find more of its strength again outside of politics...I just hope Donald Trump's relevance can just fade in the near future...

But we'll just wait and see...Until then, have a nice summer, everyone, and I will see you in Season 43!

6 Comments
Comments (6)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Aug 07, 2017
Hammond and Kenan's time were *both* cut shot by Season 33. The X-factor is that SNL had 20 live shows a season for most of DH's run, while 21-22 is now the norm.
Flag
Aug 07, 2017
Heheh...Slipped my mind...But yeah, give Kenan one more season...
Flag
Jun 18, 2017
My picks for musical guest would be a little different. Probably I'd put Solange, the XX, ATCQ, and LCD Soundsystem at the top. I'd largely agree on the hosts.

Since Sasheer, Bobby, and Vanessa have already announced their departures, I don't necessarily expect anyone else to leave. Kyle could move on, but all things being equal he'll be back. Kenan would have announced, so it looks like he'll be breaking Darrell's record.

Of the featured performers, Mikey is definitely favored. He's not necessarily funnier than the other two, but he's a pro and the dues he's paid in the writer's room make the crew want him to succeed. There's at least an off-chance he'll be bumped up to the repertory cast. Alex was the most obscure coming in, but he's gotten a lot of play toward the end of the season, so I expect him to come back.

Melissa is a long story. The Rudnitsky-esque Twitter scandal didn't help, nor did the election. (I'm guessing she was hired as a replacement Pres. Hillary if/when Kate leaves.) But she's a great mimic and a genuinely charming stage presence. Plus two women left at the end of the season and most of the others seem like they could in the next couple of years. So SNL could do worse than try her out for another year at least.

Prediction I may come back to: Next year will see a new Af-Am female in the cast. We don't know how long Leslie is there.
More+
Flag
Aug 07, 2017
If the Emmy nomination is any indicator, Leslie is not going anywhere. Anyone who would have parted ways after Year 42 has already left, so against all odds Melissa will likely be around another year.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members