We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Saturday Night Live Community
Saturday 11:30 PM on NBC

NBC kicked off the week by announcing that everyone's favorite funny lady Tina Fey will return to Saturday Night Live on September 28 to host the sketch show's Season 39 premiere. It'll be Fey's fourth time hosting since she left the full-time cast. Joining her as the evening's musical guest will be Arcade Fire; it'll be the band's fourth appearance too, because symmetry and stuff.

But who cares about Tina Fey with Miley Cyrus on deck, am I right? The tongue-wagging former Disney star will helm the October 5 show as both host and musical guest, just three days before her new album "Bangerz" is released. And boy, let me tell you how much I'm not going to buy that album or watch that episode. Because it's a lot.

Rounding out the first three weeks of the season will be Bruce Willis, who returns for a second time as host on October 12. His musical guest is Katy Perrybecause when I think of the man who is, was, and forever will be John McClane, she's obviously the musical act who comes to mind. Fun fact: This appearance will also be Perry's second performance on SNL

What do you think of the SNL's hosting lineup so far? Who's your favorite of the three? 

thekaitling:list:whos-your-favorite-host/

Bonus question: Who else would you like to see take on hosting duties this season?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/23/2016

Season 41 : Episode 19

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/7/2016

Season 41 : Episode 19

77 Comments
Comments (77)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Looove Tina Fey. I can tell she's going to become as frequent of a host as Jon Hamm.

Bruce Willis will probably be great. Moonlighting was part comedy and The Whole Nine Yards was pretty funny.

Flag
Miley's new album is called Bangerz? Does she ever want us to think she's intelligent or talented? Please try a little Miley.

Flag
Why announce the hosts and not additions to the cast? There better be additions, especially considering the losses from last season.
Flag
Give me Bryan Cranston as host any day.
Flag
For whatever reason, his hosting experience was badly received. I don't know why; I thought he was great. He should be invited back.
Flag
Wow was it really? I thought he did a good job. His opening monologue made me laugh more than most. I'd be surprised if he wasn't back anyhow.
Flag
Brian Cranston!
Flag
I'm ashamed to say that I'm so oblivious that I never imagined Miley Cyrus would host.
Flag
And was actually a pretty good host (very surprising). But she didn't look like the eyesore that she is today.
Flag
Miley's back, and I think that's pretty cool.
Flag
Miley? Blerg. It's clearly Tina - there ain't no party like a Liz Lemon party, cause a Liz Lemon party is mandatory! And now I am heading home for a nooner, which is what I like to call having pancakes for lunch. Suck it, nerds!
Flag
I voted for Tina Fey but it could have been Bruce Willis too cause this man can be an excellent comic when given the chance.
As for Miley what-a-mess Cyrus, I'm confident I'll find something else to do on October 5th.

Flag
Miley Cyrus had a good first stint as host. While I dread the "musical" performances, she seems a decent enough sketch performer who will welcome any digs SNL takes at her. Unlike a certain smug popstar who hosted last season. SNL is too efficient for trainwrecks.
Flag
Bryan Cranston, Will Ferrell, Eric Bana, Hugh Jackman, Joseph-Gordon Leavitt, Jon Stewart: any one of those will do. Oh, and Zach Galifianakis.
Flag
Anyone wanna hang on the night of October 5th while I *not* watch SNL...
Flag
I'll watch Tina's episode, maybe even Miley but I'll go out of the room when she's performing. don't care about Bruce Willis so I won't watch it.
Flag
You should watch Bruce Willis' appearance on Between Two Ferns; those three minutes might just change your mind about him.
Flag
Or watch any of his comedy movies from the 80s/90s. He's actually a funny guy so I think it can work out.

That's assuming the writers realize that... and don't simply try to write all of his characters as tough-guy Red / Die Hard parodies.
Flag
I don't watch SNL much, but I would love to see Don Rickles host SNL......,
Flag
Is Rickles even active anymore? When Betty White hosted (at 88?) they decided that she needed several former female cast members to join with her to take up the work load.
Flag
Yes, very much active. Saw him in Vegas and just about busted a gut laughing.
Flag
If Rickles hosted again, it would set a new record of longest stint between appearances on the show since he previously hosted in '84...
Flag
But can he twerk?
Flag
It will be interesting to see what Bruce can do or he can kill writers and save the show #diehard6
Flag
Excited for Tina Fey, meh about Miley, and I'll give Willis a chance, but I'd wish we'd get a confirmation on the new cast members.
Flag
Go Tina!
Flag
I believe this is actually Ms. Perry's THIRD performance on "SNL" since she previously was musical guest under Amy Poehler and then was host/musical guest a season or two after.
Flag
I believe you are right.
Flag
John Cho! He's a great comedian and he's proved it plenty of times, especially in last season's Go On.
Flag
I always thought that Jensen Ackles would make a really good SNL host.
Flag
Supernatural is just not big enough for SNL to choose him. He's going to have to get some success/notoriety at the box office before they take an interest in him. Most of what's on the CW is low key for some reason. I don't remember anyone from Smallville ever hosting again either.
Flag
I love Tina Fey more than life itself, but shouldn't we all be excited for Miley Cyrus?
Flag
Funny... :)
Flag
Great news about tina fey. both miley cyrus and bruce willis are somewhere between disappointment and outrage. I've loved bruce in everything, except the most recent die hard which was an unbelievable trainwreck and I haven't seen Red2 yet. miley cyrus is just a complete and utter mess. but this is the show that gave lindsay that extra shot after all.

I had read what I guess turns out to be a rumor that lady gaga would be host and musical act for the premiere. I might very well prefer tina fey but I couldn't care less about arcade fire and would still very much like to see a lady gag centric episode, she's gotta be far more capable than miley cyrus.

also, thanks for the news.
Flag
Red 2 is surprisingly not bad at all.
Flag
I enjoyed the first one quite a bit so I hoped red2 would be just as good. glad to know that you think so.
Flag
Oh how the mighty have fallen... I'm looking at you SNL... I'm cool with Tina hosting of course and Bruce Willis? Okay fine. But having Miley host is clearly a pathetic attempt to get more viewers and publicity which I guess is more important now then finding cast members to replace the five or so you've recently lost
Flag
Bring Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin back, they're always solid. Justin Timberlake's a solid call as well, wouldn't mind seeing him again. I also wouldn't mind seeing someone like Charlie Day hosting again. And maybe this is asking too much, but someone from Game of Thrones, Peter Dinklage, maybe!
Flag
You know what would totally work? An SNL skit based on Spider-Man with Cyrus playing Venom.
Flag
You're absolutely right! She resembles Venom! Perfect!
Flag
Such a sketch would require a return appearance by Andy Samberg.

"You'll...FLIP FOR IT!"
Flag
Always a fan of Tina Fey, so I'll be watching. And I hope the following host SNL soon: Lake Bell, Aaron Paul, Christine Baranski, ... and Simon Pegg/Nick Frost!
Flag
Actually I'm not a big fan of SNL anymore (or Miley Cyrus since 'ever') but I can actually see myself watching all 3 episodes

- Tina Fey is a hoot, I can't imagine her season premiere being bad. Lorne would fillet any writers not bringing their A-game to the table with Tina coming back for an ep.

- Miley... just to see the inevitable sketch mocking her Twerking VMA thing. I foresee a lot of self-mocking in that episode. Plus she can do funny... her bit on Two-and-a-Half-Men was actually pretty funny.

- Bruce... I love seeing comedic Bruce and Hudson Hawk is one of my favorite movies. So I hope he brings the funny.
Flag
SNL is so classy picking out Miley Cyrus to host, after all, she's got plenty of range and in no way are they using her VMAs controversy to pimp ratings. And if you believe that, Santa has a bridge to sell you in New York.

To be honest, I thought this article would be about the new cast layout, which I find more interesting than the rather lumpy choices of hosts. Bruce Willis is my vote.
Flag
I might watch the season premiere since I like Arcade Fire. As for hosts who might pique my interest enough to watch: Jim Parsons, Idris Elba, Timothy Olyphant. I generally feel more comfortable with hosts who are least as old as the show.
Flag
Olyphant seems due for a stint. I guess Parsons as well. Elba doesn't seem like he's well known enough to host. Sure if you're a fan of good tv, then you've heard of Luther. But to the general audience...
Flag
Wasn't Elba on The Wire? And as many times as Buck Henry hosted, how many knew who he was (although in the '70s, people could actually read and might recognize his name from credits)?
Flag
A very good point about reading credits! I'd like to see more people figure out how to do that.

Many people were on The Wire. Doesn't mean they're big enough to host. I think the point is coming real soon though. A starring role is huge for his career (but it's from the UK, that's a problem). He's had several film roles. At some point he'll be a leading man in high profile films or television.

SNL hosts in the 70s were completely different though. Nowadays Lorne drags Lohan in so he can attempt pulling a five in the ratings.
Flag
Idris Elba...nice.
Flag
Timothy Olyphant was the breakout star of The Girl Next Door. Guy is a riot.
Flag
Timothy Olyphant and Idris Elba...YES!
Flag
Staff
I would LOVE to see Timothy Olyphant host. He's a very funny dude.
Flag
I can't wait for Dwayne Johnson to perform. He's a really good comedic performer too. He was really funny the last time he performed. See : The Rock Obama
Flag
I still crack up whenever one of his early appearances are re-run and he mocks the other wresters like "That candy-a$$ Triple-H" and then all heck breaks loose. And I don't even follow wrestling.

Say what you will about his action-star persona... but that guy can be funny as heck. Add to that he's surprising charismatic and I foresee a solid SNL episode.
Flag
SNL is dead for years now...all talents and old cast has left SNL
Flag
You're so right.

I mean it's not as if the show has had any notable performers that have turned into film, tv stars, or late night talk show hosts because then we would have to admit that there has been talent the last several years...and clearly that isn't the case. It's good to see that you've thought this through too and not just simply shot from the hip without thinking.
Flag
Clearly you are idiot...those are the people I meant. How retarded are you? Tina,Amy,Kirsten,JImmy,Andy,Bill,Jason,Fred,Maya,etc....wasting my time with replying...
Flag
It's clearly you are an idiot, not clearly you are idiot. Your original comment was a broad (and over the top) attack on the show that wasn't backed up by any logic.
Flag
i dont mind miley, but obviously the other 2 are higher up on the list. mainly Tina.
as long as miley isnt the musical guest too....she's no JT

oh i just read she is...um. we'll be ffwding thru those songs.

i hope they do the miley cyrus show skit. i think those are good...except they'll have to find a new dad since sudeikis is gone now.
Flag
Ah, someone saying something snarky about Miley Cyrus, how refreshing.
Flag
Not wanting to buy her album or watch that SNL episode isn't snark, it's common sense after the last two weeks of endless Miley nonsense.
Flag
I don't see why you guys would want to snark on her. After all did you hear her album is called Bangerz? Nothing about that invites ridicule.
Flag
The only reason this VMA thing has gone on as long as it has is because the news media has been making it continue with their fake outrage.

Throw in the occasional interview with a strict parental group this close to desiring book-burning to justify their "outrage" and it just continues.

I guess the news cycle is stuck... without any new Zimmerman news they don't know what to d... ooh look more Zimmerman events on CNN front page. I guess Miley can breathe a sigh of relief.

Flag
Miley Cyrus has bothered the public for much longer. Especially the more music she made and the worse she made herself look.
Flag
Don't forget the part about her being a horribly limited talent who sings almost exclusively in one note and it's through her nose.
Flag
Eh, it just feels unnecessary. But this is her post, she can do what she wants to. It's her post she can love who she wants to. It's her post can sing if she wants to. It's her post can say what she wants to. Yeah, yeah, yeah, ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh......
Flag
As for musical guests, mc chris, Moon Hooch or Anamanaguchi!!

Flag
I want SNL to do something creative, like it had in the past, and have the entire cast of Community host, or a select few. Or go on the road again, film a traveling sketch show for a week then put it together for Saturday night. I'm getting bored of Who's Popular This Week!
Flag
I've often wanted them to do a season of nothing but SNL alumni hosting. Or what if they were to go back to having hosts for two episodes a season like they did during the 70s (for ex. Steve Martin and Buck Henry). Probably won't happen.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members