Saturday Night Live

Dana Carvey/Linkin Park

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Feb 05, 2011 on NBC

• I felt better after she apologized..

Yes.... it's been on SNL's agenda for two months now as far as fans know... Dana Carvey is gearing up to host SNL. It's expected he'll bring back some characters, but I'm not expecting anything beyond my dreams. Musical guest is Linkin Park. I'm not too excited for them. I don't know their new album too much, but, yeah, I'll be positive about it!

Wayne's World: You know when I said I'm not expecting anything beyond my dreams? This exceeded my expectations. I was so surprised to see this sketch. This was a great sketch, and a great way to open the show. Wayne and Garth have gotten somewhat older, though... or maybe it was just me?

Monologue: This was a really good monologue, and I was surprised to see Jon Lovitz out of all of the late 80's cast to be there. Then again, he doesn't really have a career anymore, so I guess he has spare time. But, this was good, especially with the interactions with all the current cast members.

Black Noise: I was glad to see this commercial being repeated. It held up just as well as the first time.

Church Chat: I was more expecting a Church Chat sketch than a Wayne's World sketch, so I was glad to see both! This was a little bit lengthy, but I still enjoyed it. I was glad to see the Kardashians back, and I knew, right when Dana was talking about MTV at the beginning of the sketch, that Bobby would be on as Snooki. And, then, Justin Bieber showed up. A little left-fieldish, but, he didn't ruin it, so it's all good.

VH1 Celebrity Hot-Line: This was a good way to show-case impressions. Abby's Anna Faris was hilarious to see tonight, and I really enjoyed Dana's Mickey Rooney. Fred's Ice-T was a new one too, and he actually hit it right on.

New Roommate: Justin Bieber... part 2? Okay. Well, this was pretty funny, just because of Andy's creepy performance. Bieber didn't ruin it, so thumbs up!

Musical Performance: Linkin Park performs "Waiting For The End". Yeah... the lighting effects were pretty freaking awesome.... they distracted me from the song... coincidence?

Weekend Update: The jokes tonight were really good, and Paul's commentary/random appearances as James Franco were really funny. Kristen's disco character could have been completely voided, and I don't think anybody would have minded, but, oh well.

Live With Regis and Kelly: I was surprised to see this, and I thought "Oh, they'll bring Amy back?!" but it was Nasim. Nasim's Kelly Ripa was actually really impressive if you pay attention. People are already complaining about it, because she's not Amy, but her mannerisms, hand movements, and, to a much, much lesser extent, voice, were spot-on. Oh, yes, I already foresee people complaining about Kristen playing Kathy Lee, but it was kind of called for. It was a funny twist.

Pageant: This was just such a bizarre sketch that it was funny. The twist with them actually being people who were disqualified was funny too. The sketch's actual writing was par, at most, but, the performances made up.

Deidra Wurtz: Wow... a thorough commercial starring Abby! Now, this some-what bombed with the audience, and it wasn't all too special, but I have to say that I found the repetitive speeches by Abby hilarious. I enjoyed the reactions, and I thought this was more of a silly thing, rather than funny.

Musical Performance: Linkin Park goes all 1950 on us and performs "When They Call For Me"... this really wasn't anything too good. The special effects were cool, again, but the song was actually not a good song at all.

Band At The Bar: Dana's character reminded me a lot of his feminine character, Lyle. The sketch was alright, but it was more of your typical 10-to-1 sketch.

Tonight's show was an all-around good show, no thanks to our musical guest. Dana was a great host, and it was nice seeing a few of his famous characters back once more. Linkin Park performed a so-so song for their first performance, and a less-than-so-so song for their second. The show kept its hilarity throughout the whole thing, minus some deflations in comedy here and there, but, it's whatever. It was a good showl

Next week, Russell Brand hosts with musical guest, Chris Brown .................