Saturday Night Live

Dana Carvey/Linkin Park

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Feb 05, 2011 on NBC

• Carvey Breathes Old, Fresh Air into SNL

When I heard about a month ago that Dana Carvey would be hosting "Saturday Night Live" I immediately became the most excited I've been to watch an episode of 'SNL' in a very long time.

Carvey is one of the all time great cast members in the great and illustrious history of "Saturday Night Live" and has always been a personal favorite. In my opinion, after Will Ferrell, he might be the best cast member ever. Just having Carvey back on 'SNL' made this week's episode one of the best of the season and in recent memory.

The biggest surprise of the night came at the very beginning of the show during the cold opening when Mike Myers joined Carvey for a new episode of "Wayne's World." Many fans predicted this would happen, but I wasn't 100 percent sure myself. The "Wayne's World" opener was likely the best sketch of the night as Wayne (Myers) and Garth (Carvey) talked about this year's Oscars nominees. The sketch was an absolute flash from the past and totally awesome. Myers wouldn't be the only former 'SNL' cast member to join Carvey on the famed Studio 8H stage. During Carvey's monologue where he sang about his cast from 1986-1993 being the greatest in 'SNL' history, he was joined by Jon Lovitz. It was certainly special to see both Myers and Lovitz both back on the show, as well. The other highlight of the show was the return of Carvey's beloved Church Lady, who had some memorable quotes about today's smutty TV shows like MTV's new series "Skins" saying: "Skins" it's like "SportsCenter" for pedophiles." Church Lady also admonished the three Kardashian sisters (played by Nasim Pedrad, Vanessa Bayer and Abby Elliott) and "Jersey Shore" star Snookie (played by Bobby Moynihan) on the show, before having to conquer her own sexual demons during a cameo by pop superstar Justin Bieber. Other highlights by Carvey included his wonderful impersonations of Mickey Rooney during a VH1 Teen Crisis Center sketch and of Regis Philbin. Carvey is hands down one of the greatest impressionists in comedy.
NBC