Saturday Night Live

Drew Barrymore/Lily Allen

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Feb 03, 2007 on NBC

• “You had me at ‘bucket’.”

A Review by “HelloStuart,” Amateur Critic and Child of the ‘80s

Tonight, SNL celebrates an intriguing milestone: Drew Barrymore is serving as host for the fifth time, joining Candice Bergen as the only XX-chromosomers to achieve that illustrious milestone. Quite possibly the most diligent female host the show has ever had, she brings a certain charm to a show that, last I checked, is still mired in a months-long creative slump. The musical guest is Lily Allen, a British, hip-hop tinged singer-songwriter and relative newcomer whose debut disc “Alright, Still” has been welcomed with gushing reviews but only modest sales.

And now, the sketch-by-sketch analysis:

COLD OPENING: So “American Idol” is turning to a zoo, huh? Why not have Simon (JS), Randy (KT), and Paula (AP) literally criticize the singing abilities of animals to prove that point? As lame as this sketch was, it was nice to see Seth doing sketches again; his Ryan Seacrest impression was actually tolerable given the material he had to work with.

MONOLOGUE: Just as Drew walks off to the Five-Timers’ Club, she gets wrapped up in the various rom-com movie clichés that have dominated most of her recent work, as spearheaded by Andy, Wiigy, a horny Forte, and a bi-curious Kenan. The fact that this monologue was halfway decent was just my kind of (sniff) happy ending.

“The Dakota Fanning Show”: The child actress (AP) that appears to be more mature and sophisticated than one might expect comments on Thomas Pynchon and the craft of acting to a confused Daniel Radcliffe (BH) and an amiable Abigail Breslin (Drew). This worked for me because Amy basically took a little-girl role and didn’t turn her into a rambunctous id; granted, she has been overused this season, but at least it’s justified.

“Poison Therapy”: A husband and wife (WF, Drew) settle their quabbles with a marriage counselor (KW), even though her constant poisoning of him with dioxin dominates the conversation. Subdued as this was, this probably would’ve worked better as some throwaway gag.

DIGITAL SHORT: The 1980s-era workout tape “Body Fusion” features four women sweating provocatively while doing the most menial of flexibility exercises. Once again, this was sort of a one-joke bit, but I have to admire how they absolutely nailed the aged videotape quality and even more outdated workout fashions of the time.

“Target Greatland”: This time around, our favorite cashier with the short attention span (KW) has a trainee (Drew) that further enables her to annoy customers. Business as usual, I guess.

“Nervous Job Interviewee”: Over-caffinated Sandrea Sharp (Drew) won’t leave her interviewers (AP, KT, KW) alone when she keeps saying the wrong thing, leaves, then apologizes only to start the pattern all over again. Drew definitely carried this sketch, making everything from calling Kenan a “grown-up Webster” to confessing to stealing their wallets look like a pile-driver of anxiety-fueled absurdity.

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE: Lily croons to her peppy single “Smile.” Wow, she’s a better singer than I thought.

WEEKEND UPDATE: Kenan’s near-weekly commentary, this time as nanny/spanking advocate Barbara Birmingham, fell just as flat as most of his WU appearances this season. The one-liners weren’t that memorable either, with the exception of Seth’s comment on a convicted sex offender that won the Florida Lottery (“He plans to spend the money on a van and a puppy”).

“Versace Super Bowl Party”: Fresh from two years of rehab, our favorite hoarse-throated diva Donatella (MR) throws a bash of sorts for the Bears-Colts game with guests Prince (FA), Posh Spice (Drew), and David Beckham (SM). Things go from bad to worse (for me, anyway) when Horatio Sanz unexpectedly waltzes in as Elton John and offers Donatella some sausages; they then spend the rest of the sketch uttering a few unfunny double entendres and mugging at the camera.

“Country Club Valet”: Smallish, pan-sexual Jojo (AP) makes a vulgar come-on towards WASP Ashley Sanderson (Drew) at the entrance of a snob dive. Not much else happens, but it drags on for about five minutes.

“Firestarter Smoked Sausages”: The little girl from the 80’s horror/sci-fi cult classic is all grown up and selling meat with her wary, amputee husband (JS). I thought this was a cute gimmick, and it didn’t hurt to see Suds in a rare comic-relief role.

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE: Lily bounces around to the ska-tinged “LDN.”

“The Formosa”: Drew and the perennially soused Peter O’Toole (BH) reminisce about the boozy good ol’ days of Hollywood. Not bad for a ten-to-one sketch, though I could’ve done without the “Peter’s Old Tools” pun.

“Nelson’s Baby Toupees”: Yeah, it’s a repeat from last year, but compared to what we’ve had to sit though these last few months, this held up quite nicely.

After a weak start, this broadcast hit its stride soon after before losing momentum in the second half of the show. Horatio Sanz’s cameo and the reappearance of a Year 31 ad spoof were fleeting reminders of how SNL has taken a creative step backwards in the past season; this could be validated by the drawn-out sketches and newfound heavy reliance on puns. Drew, as usual, was an effective host and never faltered even when the writing wasn’t up to scratch; Lily Allen, on the other hand, was a genre-blending curio compared to most rigidly-formatted musical guests but made the most of one of her first American television appearances. As weird as it sounds, this was probably one of the stronger episodes of the season, if only by default.

Sketches/segments that will probably be removed in repeats: Pretty much the entire last half-hour, save for “Firestarter Smoked Sausages.” Come of think of it, I’d dump Kenan’s commentary on Update as well.

Next week: Academy Award nominated actor-director Forest Whitaker hosts with Keith Urban, SNL’s first country musical guest in nearly five years.

Contact Stuart at sma17kc@aim.com. Go Bears!
  • nervous interviewee

Hilarious !
  • That's what Drew said?

Drew Barrymore is our host tonight, with musical guest Lily Allen. Drew is joining the five timers club, and you almost want to say "finally". Hosting for her first time in 1982 makes her the widest host span in the shortest amount of hosting gigs. It's Lily's first time as musical guest, and I like her lead song that I've heard maybe twice, "Smile". I have no other info on her album.

American Idol: Talk about a slow beginning! I really didn't get a laugh out of this sketch, other than noticing Amy and Kenan starting to laugh when Amy's Paula hair got all messed up after she was talking to the twin dogs.

Monologue: This was a really funny monologue. My favorite part was at the end when Kenan was leading Will out. But, the writers made a good point on the love comedy formula.

The Dakota Fanning Show: This was a random bit, and I really laughed at Drew's Abigail Breslin. Bill also did a great Daniel Radcliffe. My favorite line was when Dakota tried to top Abigail saying "I get raped in my next movie."

Poison Therapy: This was yet another weak sketch. I mean, it's only two sketches thus far, but I was wondering "how did this get put on top of everything else in dress?

Body Fusion: This was a really funny digital short. It's always nice every once and a while to have a digital short not star Andy. The cheap music and terrible tracking was a great add-on too.

Target Greatland: I guess this was funny. Drew pulled this sketch off, but really, the purpose of the Target sketches are for the guest hosts to make the sketch.

Nervous Interviewee: Drew was great in this. She really carried this sketch, which was actaully a well-written sketch. It's about time SNL did a "That's what she said" joke.

Musical Performance: Lily performs "Smile" and proves that her voice isn't remixed, or digitalized. She actually has a great voice. Nice song, as I stated above, too.

Weekend Update: This week was a really fun update. This is one of the first Kenan commentaries that I actually laughed at in a while.

Versace Super Bowl Party: It's good to see Maya's Donatella back, but I really hope she doesn't overkill it for the rest of this season. Seth and Drew were great as the Beckhams. I also loved the resurection of Armisen's Prince, but the random Elton John impression by Horatio was just not needed.

Jo Jo The Valet: A pretty average sketch. I chuckled here and there, but the only real laugh was from Armisen's appearance as the boyfriend.

Firestarter Sausages: This was a really random funny commercial. I laughed a lot at this. Especially Jason's singing.

Musical Performance: Lily performs "LDN" which is a nice song, but not much.

Peter O'Toole and Drew: An average 5 to one sketch. I really only enjoyed the bringing back of Bill's O'Toole.

Nelson's Baby Toupees: A random repeat. I really didn't laugh at this much when it aired last January.

Avery good return for SNL. Especially after January's two-episode crap fest. I'm being harsh. The Piven broadcast wasn't really hard to watch. Drew's hosting abilities once again brought this to be a really fun show, while Lily Allen's music also helped the show.
  • There was nothing that was great, but a lot that was mediocre to bad. What's most disappointing is that Drew can really be funny with the right material, but it just wasn't there.

American Idol - The whole animal thing got old very quickly. Parnell made a much better Simon than Sudeikis. Grade: C-

Monologue - Enjoyable bait-and-switch bit. We thought we were going to get another look at the Five-Timer's Club, but instead saw how to create, destroy and amend a relationship in less than 2 minutes. I liked Forte's scheduling of a 5-minute "appointment" with Drew. Even better was the Say Anything reference by Samberg in an attempt to win back Drew. Not too shabby. Grade: B+

Dakota Fanning Show - Not much to say here. There weren't too many laughs. I appreciate trying to do something different, but a 12-year old girl is an odd target. The world is absolutely FULL of adult buffoons. Grade: C-

Marriage Counseling - I thought this was a well-written sketch that had a nice build to it. I would have liked more of a twist at the ending, but oh well. All of the actors did a great job. Forte, in particular really shined. My favorite of the night. Grade: A-

Body Fuzion Digital Short - Took me back to the days when exercise videos passed as p0rn for sex-starved teens. Pretty funny parody of the 80s workout shows. Not laugh-out-loud funny, but smirk worthy. Grade: B+

Target Lady - A very easy sketch to write. Consequently, a boring sketch to watch. This has never been particularly funny and is certainly not getting better. Poor Kristen. Grade: D

Interview - This sketch depended entirely on the frenetic performance of Drew in order to succeed. Drew did the best she could with weak writing, but there wasn't much to work with. Grade: C+

Weekend Update - Lame jokes combined with a nanny commentary that was supposed to be funny. Didn't quite work out that way though. "What, no Hammond? Oh dear, whatever shall we do? Let's get Kenan to put on a wig AGAIN and play a nanny this time. That will go over BIG." Um, yeah, sure. Grade: C-

Donatella's Superbowl Party - I can barely even describe to you how much this recurring sketch pains me to watch it. I honestly thought this was gone for good, but alas, we were "treated" to one more go with the same dull sex jokes and annoying impersonations. Who in their right mind thinks this funny? Anybody? And to make matters worse, this "sketch" served as a weak substitute for the much-anticipated Superfans reunion. I am truly embarrassed for all of the casual SNL fans who tuned in to see if it would happen and got this instead. Nice way to bring the old-timers back into the fold. Grade: F

Jo-Jo the Valet - A dead-end sketch with no real premise other than a wimp who wants to jump the hottie at the country club. Chris Kattan might have been able to rescue this turkey with a stellar performance as Jo-Jo, but it will have to go down as DOA. Grade: D

Firestarter Smoked Sausages - Mildly amusing. It was kind of fun to see Drew as the Firestarter girl again, but it was not particularly funny. Grade: C

O'Toole & Barrymore at the Bar - Good to see Hader getting some airtime. And he does do a great O'Toole impersonation. The problem was with the material. It was pretty slim. By the end I was hoping for a cameo from Bill Brasky or one of his colleagues. Still, good to see Hader though. Grade: C+

Baby Toupees - Rerun. Therefore, not worthy of comment.
  • Like Drew's choice of men – very hit or miss...

this episode was both very funny and very lame. it's hard to really tell which side won. When the laughs were big (and they were) it was a classic SNL effort. But on the other hand, some of the sketches went nowhere. Don't get me wrong, Drew is a great host and her comic timing is very good. But something was out of wack on this one – Not to mention Lilly Allen's dress!
  • Semi-good.

My first actual review for SNL. Not the first episode I saw though.

So, we get some spin-off thing bad joke, American Idol copy; animals tring to perform with talent. Blah.

The rest of the skiots were - eh, normal. Nothing special...EXCEPT for "The Dakota Fanning Show".

That was possibly the funniest thing. Excluding some others I don't need to metion. So, just a basic SNL.

Lily Allen's performance was good. She performed one of my favorite songs that she sings: "Smile". I never heard "LDN" or whatever it was, but it has a catchy tone hidden in there and it, possibly, another one of my favorite songs.
  • Not as good as the Jeremy Piven episode, but close to it!

Not as good as the Jeremy Piven episode, but close as heck to it! For the 5th time, Drew Barrymore hosts this episode of SNL, bringing her to the 5-timers club alongside people such as Steve Martin or Alec Baldwin. Some of the real funny sketches were "American Idol" or "The Dakota Fanning Show". A stupid sketch was "Jo-Jo the Valet". Overall, this episode gets an 8. The Weekend Update was hilarious with the Update Nanny! I don't want to spoil it, so I will just say that it was hilariously outrageously funny. A great episode for 2007 to be proud of.
  • I get raped in my next movie!

In this episode Drew Barrymore gets inducted into the 5 Timers Club as she hosts for her new movie "Music and Lyrics", like it has been for most of this season it was just mediocore.

COLD OPENING: "American Idol" with Animals, and good singers only geting a snippet of the air time... naahh. But it was nice to see Seth somewhere besides behind the WU Desk.

MONOLOGUE: Drew is placed into a steryotypical Romantic Comedy Plotline as she goes to the 5 Timers Club... Don't really care the slightest bit.

“The Dakota Fanning Show”: Dakota who "is raped in her next movie" got a show, and she talks to "Harry"... better not say it I will get in trouble again, Daniel Radcliffe, who is naked in the play he is in, and why must he do it... And we see Abigail from "Little Miss Sunshine" who won an award for a dance, and Dakota is doing SOOO much and gets bupkis. It was nice to see Amy not turn rambunctious like Kaitlin for once.

“Poison Therapy”: Marriage Counsling for a couple who is dealing with the wife giving the husband Dioxin. Nice makeup for one of Forte's rare appearences but not much else worth noting.

DIGITAL SHORT,“Body Fusion”: The 1980s workout tape is just so stupid its funny, and I gotta say that the LI boys really captured the times, and the grainy VHS footage that most of the movies my dad taped from HBO back when we had a Satelite in the 80's have now.

“Target Greatland”: If you see one of these you seen em all, and since I have done these before why must I do it again?

“Nervous Job Interviewee”: Sandrea Sharp won't leave the interviewers alone as she goes on a caffeine high of idiocy that just annoys them. Good acting but not much else.

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE,“Smile”: Lily is a better singer than I thought...

WEEKEND UPDATE: Kenan looks like he has been pushed back to what Finesse had, dressing in drag [you know he can do a Bill Cosby impression, use that instead of this crap]. The one-liners also fail compared to the greats of the Miller era, just steal some of Leno's writers most people should just dig that up...

“Versace Super Bowl Party”: Donnatella is throwing a Super Bowl Party, and Horatio returns as Elton John [see why I mentioned Kaitlin now?], not worth it at all.

“Country Club Valet”: Jojo tries to boink Drew, and it drags on for 5 painful minutes, and I smell a new reccouring character.

“Firestarter Smoked Sausages”: Nice gimmick, nice song by Sud's, not particulary funny to me but it was interesting, but Firestarter is a little too out of date for me to rember.

MUSICAL PERFORMANCE,“LDN”: Nice song again yadda yadda yadda...

“The Formosa”: Alright for a 10-to-1 skit, but I wasnt really paying much attention to it. 6

“Nelson’s Baby Toupees”: I've done this before right... it has been a year since this was on but it was still better than some of the crap on there now.

Overall with the fact that Horatio had to come back for the night worries me, but at least he did not giggle after every line. And Drew was a good host, lets see what will happen as it goes on.
  • Bad animal jokes+American idol.

6.7
    Saturday Night Live,
    Tonight Drew Barrymore is hosting. I didn't like the music guest. I had to turn up my volume on my tv to hear her. I did although enjoy Nervous Job Interviewee sketch. Once again we see not one of the best episodes. mostley that target one lacked funny. And we get to see a old cast member. One who i though was great.
  • Girl meets boy, girl falls for boy, girl catches boy with another girl, girl is heartbroken and goes for pervert, boy learns of what happens and makes up, boy and girl kiss, show starts. Not a happy ending.

This week on SNL we see one of those rare, and I mean rare, female combinations of a female host and musical guest. We generally will see more males than females. I can’t say I was looking forward to this show, but kept an open mind. Due to the fact I am sick, I can’t add anything else, or can’t think of it. So I’ll start my review:

HOST:
    This week’s host is five-timer Drew Barrymore, the second female five-timer too. In her skits, she did very well. It wasn’t her fault the skits were bad. Though, her monologue was too predictable. The girl is known for her romantic comedies, AKA, chick flicks, movies I hate. And it all got played out. As Drew heads out the door, she bumps into Andy, and the two have a moment and decide to go out. Drew is excited, but sees Andy kissing Kristen, and her heart breaks. Then Will gives her a few perverted suggestions, to which she agrees, Andy learns Drew caught him and Kristen, though they were rehearsing, and tries to get her back. He does, holding a radio above his head, which is dumb cause they were five feet away, they kiss, and make up. And Will gets with a bi-curious Kenan as well. I was very jealous of Drew, she got to kiss Andy. I couldn’t help it. She was a good host, though the monologue and skits were bad. A-

MUSICAL GUEST:
    This week’s musical guest is British singer Lily Allen. I do believe I read about her before, something about celebrating with a line of coke. She was better than I thought. Lily performed “Smile” and “LDN,” which I guess is an abbreviation for London. I didn’t pay much attention, but she wasn’t bad. A-

SKITS:
    Cold Opening: American Idol – Here we see a bunch of animals, dogs, chicken, donkey, fish in a barrel, turtle, and cats, all audition for America’s favorite reality show (don’t know why). I thought the skit was funny, and it had a quick shot of Andy. I was surprised this wasn’t for Bush. Change. Normally, the cold openings are political. A-

The Dakota Fanning Show – I believe this could be exact. Dakota is a lot more advances than the rest of us, and she is only 12. She uses bigger words than I do. But Dakota interviews Daniel Radcliff and that annoying, cheerful girl from “Little Miss Sunshine.” Dakota is extremely mature, while the cheerful girl, forgot her name, acts like a common 10-year-old. This was a great skit. It was very funny. I loved it. A+ Dioxin Poisoning – A couple goes to counseling because the wife is poisoning her husband. Now, if your spouse or significant other was poisoning you, wouldn’t you leave them? I sure as hell would. This was weird and dumb. I didn’t like it. C

Digital Short: Body Fusion – This looked just like a 1980’s work out video, how the picture looked and everything, but the exercises were just stupid, as was the short. They should have come up with something better. C+

Target Greatland – I’ve seen better of these skits. This had a funny start, but a weak end, and Drew the trainee was slow. This had some funny parts, but was in such need of an improvement. B-

Nervous Job Interviewee – The title says it all. Drew is a nervous, and apparently over caffeinated woman on a job interview. Here’s the thing: You cannot take food or beverage into a job interview. I’ve learned that. My question is, did this really happen, and it has been exaggerated? This skit was stupid and weird, but it did have some funny parts. C+

Versace Super Bowl Party – Donatella is back and hosting a party for the Super Bowl, this time with Posh and Becks. I loved those two, but I was surprised Horatio was back. It took a second to go through for me. I was questioning myself, “Wait, he left? Why is he back.” I thought then, “Oh, Stu is unhappy about this, I’m sure.” Not counting Hortaio, the skit was pretty good. B-

Country Club Valet – Drew is a divorced woman, being hit on by Amy’s character. I honestly thought Amy’s character was a lesbian, a serious, serious one, but learned she was playing a guy. The short, ugly, poor valet keeps hitting on her and telling her things he really should not. This was such a dumb skit. C-

Fire Starter Smoked Sausages – The title says it all. This was dumb. The fire is started by this woman’s mind. C

The Formosa – Peter O’ Toole and Drew Barrymore, famous drunks, discuss other famous drunks. I thought Drew didn’t drink anymore. This skit was funny. I loved when Peter said that he had been dead for at least ten years. B-

Nelson’s Baby Toupees – Toupees for babies and toddlers. Seen it. B-

BEST MOMENT:
    The Dakota Fanning Show was the funniest moment of the night. This was the first show I got to see Andy kiss anyone. I wasn’t paying enough attention to tell if he is a good kisser. My mom didn’t comment, and she can normally tell by watching someone. My fav part might have been when the show ended though.

WORST MOMENT:
    Bad skits.

SURPRISING MOMENT:
    Lily Allen was better than I thought. Nothing really took me by surprise though.

SKIT AVERAGE: 2.7/4 C+/B-

SHOW RATING: 6/10 Sparkling Diamonds

Next week we are joined by Oscar nominated, and probably Oscar winning, actor Forest Whitaker, and country singer and husband to my most favorite actress Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban.
  • Andy cheated on Drew...

Gone are the days of the live blog and copy/paste. Back are the days of reviewing by memory.

The episode before the Super Bowl is not complete without some sort of mention of Bill Swerski's SuperFans.

The monologue was pretty weird. Drew mentions the 5-timer's lounge but then gets distracted by Andy--who asks her out or something like that. Andy then cheated on Drew with Kristen. Will then asks Drew out. Moral of the story short, they got back together.

Horatio Sanz made a cameo appearance.

After the NFL on CBS sketch a few weeks ago, I expected a Super Bowl sketch other than the Versace sketch.
  • Funnier than most recent SNL..

I actually thought the opening was funny. The joke wasn't about nailing the impersonations of simon, paula, and randy, but instead about making fun of how they perceive certain contestants. They've called contestants every name in the book, such as dogs, monkeys, whatever....so, that's what the joke was about. Basically, they were trying to revive and old sketch with a new twist.

Drew Barrymore was also funny. The Dakota Fanning show was my favorite skit of the night.

But, what is really lacking in laughs is weekend update. It's just not funny....at all. It's slightly better without Tina Fey, but really, can't they do any better? Compare current weekend update anchors with Norm McDonald, Dennis Miller or any of the older anchors and it pales in comparison. With the absence of sketches, weekend update is just another case and point that the writing on SNL is pretty weak.
  • Drew Barrymore hosts with musical guest Lily Allen.

An ok show overall both good and bad. I love Drew but this show was ok at best.

The opening with American Idol spoof was weak. Ok some of it was funny and they got the imitation of Simon, Paula and Randy on the money but using animals was just dumb. A very short monologue (possibly one of the shortest I’ve seen). Drew starts talking about being type-cast in romantic comedies then turns her focus into her reward of joining the five time host club. After this we get a silly sketch with her and Andy (an obvious spoof to her reference of being type-cast in romantic comedies). I got it but come-on we’ve seen this before. It got tiring fast and it’s no wonder that they ended her monologue quick and went on the Dakota Fanning show sketch.

This sketch was also average at best. It gave me a giggle here and there but it wasn’t LOL funny. I might as well skip to what did make me laugh “Body Fusion”, “Target Greatland”, and “Nervous Job Interview”. I really liked them especially the job interview sketch because it was really outrageous. Drew plays a girl named Sharon Sharpe or something like that but every time she supposedly leaves the interview she comes back to insult the potential employers again and again!!!! The employers don’t come off as really laid back so outspoken character really nails them with insults. The Target sketch was great. They’ve done this sketches before but somehow they still remain funny I guess because you won’t see this type of attitude or personalities being displayed during the perfect Target commercials.

The Body Fusion sketch I also liked. They were basically spoofing an 80’s type of aerobic video and I thought they did it well. The other sketches were just average to me. Weekend Update was decent though and I especially like that shot at Bush by Amy (if you don’t know a damn thing about foreign policy you’ll probably be the next President of the US). Keenan played an angry black woman who enacted harsh discipline and published a book called “I’am going to beat your ass”. LMAO. I liked it again because of the reality here seeing as there are so many stupid books out there that a title like this isn’t that hard to believe even though they were just trying to be funny.

The musical guest Lily Allen was great. I never heard of this singer but when I heard her sing I really enjoyed it. That’s it an ok show. It could have been better but it was ok.