Saturday Night Live

Drew Barrymore/Regina Spektor

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Oct 10, 2009 on NBC

6.8
  • This was sooo special.

Drew Barrymore hosts for her 6th time tonight on the show, and whenever she hosts, it's always a treat to have her on. Drew is always pure energy to the show, and livens up the cast, and she's a joy to watch perform. Our musical guest is Regina Spektor. Regina's album, "Far" is an amazing album, that has deep lyrics, and fun tunes. I definitely recommend this album to anyone.

Obama's Nobel Prize: Obama also wins the lottery in this sketch, which proves he's very lucky. This sketch was a little less punchy than last week's Obama sketch, and a little more weak. It was short, and the 3 AM line, even though I saw it coming right when he said "in the morning", was still a really funny line.

Monologue: This was actually really funny. It reminded me a lot of that Chris Walken sketch a year and a half ago, which some succeeded at, and some failed at. This time around, everyone did the impression pretty good.

Gilly: Another Gilly sketch... don't worry everyone, soon enough this sketch will [hopefully] disappear like Penelope or the A-Holes did. BTW, I miss the A-Holes. Anyways, this sketch was still worth a few laughs. Drew made me laugh. Abby's character was borderline annoying though.

Celebrity Ghost Stories: I love when they do the impression sketches, but tonight's impressions were either completely random, and not that funny, or just bad impressions. Abby and Nasim stood out in this, even though nobody knows who Charlyne Yi is. But, man, I know this is random, but I'm having a late Amy Poehler withdrawal. Last week we had Abby's Nancy Grace, which was okay, but nothing more, and this week we have Drew doing a pretty sloppy Sharon Osbourne. If they do a Rosie Perez impression, or a Dakota Fanning impression next week, I'll snap. Just kidding. But, anyways, this just wasn't all there.

University of Westfield: Look! A funny commercial parody! This actually gave me a lot of laughs, and it was nice to see most of the cast in this. Jenny made me laugh with her mumblin. at the end.

La Revista Della Televisione: I've grown to love this sketch. I absolutely hated it back in 2007, and the Jon Bovi sketch was the one that started turning me around. But, tonight was a little weaker than usual. There were some funny parts, and even though they tried doing something different with Bobby, they've got to go a whole new direction with Vinni's son. I don't exactly know what right yet, but, the alcohol/smoking problem he has is starting to get old.

Musical Performance: Regina performs "Eet" which is a great song, and Regina's voice is so beautiful live.

Weekend Update: This Update seemed a little bit on weak knees. I guess that's what the Weekend Update Thursdays have done, and the damage will have to wait to be fixed until the hiatus after next week, I guess. Bill's Carville was a pleasure to see back, and made me laugh. After that, we had Scrooge, which was okay, but nothing more. Then, we had Kenan's Maya Angelou, which made me laugh at first, but that was it. The poems weren't funny.

Pool Tournament: This was just one big tampon joke, and it didn't pay off. I really can't say anymore. Even the 90's looks weren't making me laugh.

Cooking al Fresco: First off: Is this the millionth Italian reference of the night? Second off: This was almost like an attempt for "Wake Up and Smile" from 1995 with Will Ferrell and Nancy Walls. But, it didn't come off that well. And, there was a bunch of technical gaffes, like Drew messing up her hair too late when the camera got back to her.

Larry King Live: What was this? This was bad. I may have chuckled. MAY have chuckled. I can't remember. But, this wasn't good. This is below All That. Wow... I just don't know what this was. And it's a damn shame, because that Larry King Live sketch from 2 years ago with Amy as J.K. Rowling was so funny, and it had potential to be the new go-to news sketch, like Hardball used to be.

Musical Performance: Regina performs "The Calculation" which is a huge pleasant surprise. "The Calculation" is a great song that's upbeat and happy, and not [yet] a single. I was expecting "Laughing With" which is another great song, but, this was great too.

Book Reading: This was a really funny 5-to-one sketch, that should have been placed much earlier in the show. Even right down to the beginning with Jason pointing out how Drew read the whole book made me laugh. And I was surprised that we were doing another "funeral/wedding" but, but it actually just centered around Will's anti-obama character, which really made me laugh.

And that's our show. This was a pretty middling episode, which averaged out to average. The actual writing was below average, but Regina really bumped this episode up. It was definitely a disappointing Drew Barrymore episode, because Drew's episodes, minus the 2004 one, are usually always delights. Her 2007 episode is probably one of the funniest ones from that year. And, Drew definitely didn't phone tonight in. She was there, and you could tell she was loving it. She almost seemed a little off tonight, though. But, otherwise, she, once again, was pure energy, and it's always a treat having her on. And, as I said above, Regina rocked. I don't want to be bias, but she really was great.

I'm liking what I see from Nasim. Nasim seems like a naturally funny actress, and I can't wait for her to really get stuff going. I was proud of Abby tonight. Abby really got some good stuff out, and it's about time. Jenny, though, really needs to get on. I'm not sure if it's her inability to pursue writers to write for her, or if it's because Lorne is scared of her F-bomb the other week, but, seriously, it's old news now, and it's about time she gets stuff on. I really want to see her succeed on this show.

And, by the way, no Darrell!

Next week: Gerard Butler hosts with musical guest, Shakira. The history of the 4-episode runs in the past 2 years have shown that the 4th episode is usually the best (Jonah Hill, Anne Hathaway), so I have hope. Hopefully Gerard will be a funny guy. (I really don't know his work). Shakira will be interesting.