Saturday Night Live

Emma Stone/Kings of Leon

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Oct 23, 2010 on NBC

7.7
  • Not the greatest SNL ever but Samberg and Wiig did step aside for the new cast members. Emma Stone was adequate. Do not like Kings of Leon. Worst singer since Eddie Vedder, but without his charisma.

This SNL was not very good, but they were letting the new cast members have turns at bat. Speaking of baseball, is it going to be SF vs. Texas for the World Series? Go, Giants! I am going to start wearing Black & Orange, just in time for Haloween--or the elections. Wouldn't it be an October Surprise if Yes on 19 got out the Youth Vote? It's always 4:20 somewhere.

The cold opening, about Obama going to Nevada to help Harry Reid, but he wants to distance himself, was not funny. I could think of a million different things to mock in this election. How about Prop 19 getting out the youth vote in California, or how Prop 19 is going to save bankrupt cities with all the new potential tax revenue? Other topical issues were pretty predictable, like Jimmy McMillan with the funny mustache running for Governor of New York state on the "Rent is Too High" party. Kenan did a good job in his interview segment as Jimmy McMillan on Weekend Update, but you have to admit that Jimmy McMillan was already funny. The segment writes itself, once you have the funny beard on. Equally predictable was a bit on Brett Favre. At least it was predictable that Favre would be a target. A commercial for "no fly" jeans? I've heard of "no fly" zones, but if anyone would wear "no fly" jeans, it would be Brett Favre.

Emma Stone was kind of a hit or miss miss. I liked the monologue with Kenan, Andy, and someone with a PowerPoint presentation (Bill Hader?) as nerds who wanted to make out with Emma Stone, because she is often cast as a hot girl who makes out with nerds. Super Bad? Easy A? Bobby and some new guy played Jonah Hill and Michael Cera, and they were two more nerds who also wanted to make out with Emma Stone. Emma reassured them that it was just their characters who were nerds, not them. Bobby M. had the Jonah, who swallowed a whale 'look' down, but the other guy didn't really look like Michael Cera, but he did his voice perfectly. I close my eyes and there is Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.

Moving on, Emma did a thing where she was a girl in high school who broke her arm, and they sang about it. It was kind of a hip hop dance number. Silly, really, but kind of cute for a hot minute. I really liked the French TV show. It was just weird, but brilliant for a sketch that goes nowhere, but just keeps that weird mood going. They all break out in a weird dance, and that was just funny. I think that they captured a lot of the Frenchisms that we yanks find most annoying. I didn't like Emma as the woman who won the extreme home make over but was non plussed about it. Wiig was going overboard, as she is wont to do, but Emma was just dead weight. I know that was the concept of the gag, but it didn't yield anything useful as comic fodder. There was also a parody of The View. How about a parody of The Talk? I guess they are waiting until some people actually watch The Talk before talking about The Talk. Barbara Walters was pretty good, Armisen as Beyhar was less than adequate, and don't even get me started on the lame Hasslebeck. Whoopie was good. Why does Kenan seem to get the most laughs when he is in drag? Emma Stone really does look a lot like Lindsay Lohan, and there was some potential for comedy mayhem, but unfortunately, The View sketch, like the actual The View show, is pointless, though I wouldn't really know since I never watch it, and even if I did watch it, I would never admit that I watched it.

The TV show about the girl's brother, Eric (Andy Samberg), was sad. It seems like she keeps trying to reheat that character, and by now it is nothing but salmonella. It is just a rehash of Henry who idolized her parents, but couldn't relate to kids her own age. Then she brought it back in a slightly different form. Third time is not the charm.

A new guy did a new character, "Sex" Ed Vincent. This was a character he developed in Chicago, or so I read in the forums. This guy and Ed Vincent as a character show a lot of potential. Elsewhere on SNL there was the obligatory fake commercial, and this one was about BabySpanx for sliming down fat babies. I thought this was OK, as obligatory fake commercials on SNL go. I might have wandered off during Weekend Update, but could I have missed much? I didn't see the bit about Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, which I am sure I would have enjoyed. I already mentioned Kenan did Jimmy McMillan, and there was another segment with Stephan. I like this character even though he always does the same thing. He reviews NY night clubs, but he is supposed to talk about things that the average NY tourist can do while on vacation with his family. Best line was about "Furkles" which come to find out are fat Urkles. When you wake up the next morning you'll say "Did I do that?" Well, maybe not you, and certainly not me--not that there's anything wrong with that--but Stephan perhaps.

Finally, though I risk alienating my readers, I just have to say that I am underwhelmed by The Kings of Leon. I do not like their singer, nor their songwriting. I admit that they do get a pretty good sound with guitar, bass, and drums, but it is pretty boring, with harmonic progressions that wander down the same prosaic path over and over again, and the lame vocals finally kill it. No discernable melody, and that fake sounding affected vocal, like Eddie Vedder. I cringe at the thought of it. I was being either sarcastic or ironic--take your pick--when I said that he was the worst vocalist since Eddie Vedder, but without the charisma. It is ironic because I don't think Eddie Vedder has any charisma to speak of, at least not on stage. But once you have to explain why something is ironic, then it is pretty much over. My brother did meet Eddie V. in Maui, and he couldn't have been nicer. The Kings of Leon, and Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam, for that matter, seem like awesome dudes, and I don't dislike any of them personally--quite the opposite--but I am not going to start liking their music. That is just never going to happen. I forgot to mention the newscast about teenagers and their latest dangerous fads, and the one where Googie Renee sold damaged Haloween costumes, but that's the point. They are forgetable, so I forgot them.