Saturday Night Live

Forest Whitaker/Keith Urban

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Feb 10, 2007 on NBC

6.9
  • It was a pretty good show tonight. The only real clinkers were the monologue and the Whitney show. I absolutely love the fact that the only recurring sketch we saw tonight was Bronx Beat.

Cheney Valentines - One of the best political openings of the year. Placed in a different setting with lots of good jokes. It also wasn't overly long. Grade B+

Monologue - Another lame monologue with lots of singing. Not funny in the least bit and not particularly entertaining. Forest's vanity segment. Grade D

Bronx Beat - Much better than it was the first time around, but it still didn't make much of an impression on me. I actually thought the guests were funnier than the hosts. It also went on a bit too long. Grade C

Andy Popping into Frame digital short - Not one of the better shorts as there wasn't much to it. It definitely would have benefitted from some more clever entrances.

Singing Waiter - A one-joke premise that would have failed had it not been for Forest's hilarious over-the-top performance. He turned a potential DOA sketch into a winner. Nice job Forest. Grade A-

Man vs Beast - This one wasn't going anywhere until a mauled and heavily bleeding Sudeikis appeared speaking in a calm voice despite his injuries. I don't think we've seen this much blood on SNL since Clooney's monologue and Danny's impression of Julia Childs. Grade B+

Weekend Update - There were some good jokes, especially the Pelosi joke and Mickey Mouse. The funniest line of the night was delivered by Sudeikis when as the love-triangle male astronaut, he said "The best tang in the galaxy need not be mixed with water" to Amy. That was a good bit. It didn't quite compensate for the weakness of yet another Jesse and Al commentary. I think Darrell may have earned a new nickname tonight: Darrell "ham it up" Hammond after he proceeded to mug for the camera for about 30 seconds for no apparent reason. Grade B

Whitney's Valentine's Day Special - As if the WU appearances weren't bad enough, now Maya has turned her Whitney impersonation into a full sketch. I didn't think it was possible, but Maya actually has a sketch that is more irritating than Donatella. That must have taken a lot of effort on her part. And surprise, surprise, Kenan came out in a wig yet again. What a great idea. "Bobby Beeeeee!" Yech! Grade F

Am I A Crazy Street Person - Very reminiscent of Geek, Dweeb or Spaz without as many options for the contestants. The characters were very funny though. Forte, in particular, makes a highly believable nutjob. The sketch could have had a better resolution, but still it was very good. Grade B+

Staten Island Zoo - This short about Sloths looks very much like the work of the Lonely Island crew. One of the funniest bits of the night. Too bad it was saved for the end. Grade A-