Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Avoid VH1 reruns like the plague!

MattyJ87

[1]Jan 18, 2011
    • level: 1

VH1 has been handling their syndication deal quite poorly. They're cutting out even more sketches and applying horrible speed alterations to the episodes. Basically, a lot of the sketches look/sound like they're being fast forwarded every second or 2 then returning to normal speed. The music performances largely don't have this issue. Also, in the Season 30 Kate Winslet episode, they replace an entire sketch with one from the Jude Law episode (Donald Trump Halloween promo) There have been various other cuts and switches like this.

The culprit I think? The need for more commercial time. A typical show without commercials from the VH1 versions is only 35-38 minutes. It's frustrating cause a lot of these would be great to see but they just ruin it with these changes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Jan 19, 2011
    • level: 63
    I've noticed the speed-up too, but I thought E! did the same thing.

TheDiamondDog

[3]Jan 19, 2011
    • level: 61

I noticed for a while they were simply repeating TBO episodes. I wanted to see the Law/Simpson episode and because of getting annoyed with the same TBOs being showed, I forgot to check. Now I missed it again.

I noticed when I was watching them some things were cut out more so than the E! reruns.

HelloStuart

[4]Jan 19, 2011
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I noticed for a while they were simply repeating TBO episodes. I wanted to see the Law/Simpson episode and because of getting annoyed with the same TBOs being showed, I forgot to check. Now I missed it again.

I noticed when I was watching them some things were cut out more so than the E! reruns.

Apparently, VH1 needs more airtime for endless reality show promos.

MattyJ87

[5]Jan 19, 2011

TheDiamondDog wrote:

I have been recording them all since they started airing them. They actually skipped the Jude Law and Johnny Knoxville episodes from Season 30. They aired all of Season 28 and 29 complete but mysteriously skipped these from other seasons..

24-Jennifer Love Hewitt, Bill Paxton, Drew Barrymore

25-Jerry Seinfeld, Norm MacDonald, Jennifer Aniston, Jamie Foxx, Christopher Walken

26-Alec Baldwin

27-Ian McKellen, The Rock

The few E reruns I have recorded from the 2005-2007 era don't have any speed changes and all run about 44 minutes in length

Edited on 01/19/2011 4:04pm
    Edited 3 total times.

TheDiamondDog

[6]Jan 20, 2011

Well, at least I didn't miss anything. I do wonder why they are skipping episodes though.

OrusDelaney

[7]Jan 20, 2011
    • level: 2

It might be commercial time 4 them and tape quality on old ones(depending on how old.)

MattyJ87

[8]Jan 20, 2011

Watched Scarlett Johansson from Season 31, their first year in HD. Still being sped up. Episode started 2 minutes late yet ended 4 minutes before the end of the hour, enough time for a Weekend Update recap from the Gwyneth episode before the next rerun airs. Also checked out Dane Cook episode from the same season, according to the notes of what's cut in the syndication edit, VH1 additionally cut "Turtleneck" sketch.

Edited on 01/20/2011 11:20pm

HelloStuart

[9]Jan 21, 2011

MattyJ87 wrote:
    Watched Scarlett Johansson from Season 31, their first year in HD. Still being sped up. Episode started 2 minutes late yet ended 4 minutes before the end of the hour, enough time for a Weekend Update recap from the Gwyneth episode before the next rerun airs. Also checked out Dane Cook episode from the same season, according to the notes of what's cut in the syndication edit, VH1 additionally cut "Turtleneck" sketch.

So now a full half of the original 90-minute broadcast is being chopped out? If Comedy Central had coughed up that extra money 7 1/2 years ago, we'd have never had to sit through E! and Vh1 butchering repeats. I'd always personally hoped that TV Land would pick up the syndication rights, but it seems like they're phasing out old repeats and focusing on reality shows and Betty White. MeTV, perhaps?

Edited on 01/21/2011 10:16am

TheDiamondDog

[10]Jan 21, 2011

HelloStuart wrote:

MattyJ87 wrote:

So now a full half of the original 90-minute broadcast is being chopped out? If Comedy Central had coughed up that extra money 7 1/2 years ago, we'd have never had to sit through E! and Vh1 butchering repeats. I'd always personally hoped that TV Land would pick up the syndication rights, but it seems like they're phasing out old repeats and focusing on reality shows and Betty White. MeTV, perhaps?

If that were the case, would they be able to show the episodes from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s? I was wondering why all the episodes were from the late 90s and 2000s.

MattyJ87

[11]Jan 21, 2011
    To be exact in my editing program, there were 23 minutes of commercials for the Scarlett Ep and 20 for Dane Cook. I read an article somewhere that they only bought the rights from Season 24-34, so no older episodes from VH1. This will also be the first appearance of Season 33 and 34 edits.

Since they will likely never see the light of day on DVD, I wish NBC would at least air them in full again like they used to before that poker show started. Perhaps even create an NBC retro channel of some sort.

HelloStuart

[12]Jan 22, 2011
    MattyJ87 wrote:
    To be exact in my editing program, there were 23 minutes of commercials for the Scarlett Ep and 20 for Dane Cook. I read an article somewhere that they only bought the rights from Season 24-34, so no older episodes from VH1. This will also be the first appearance of Season 33 and 34 edits.

Since they will likely never see the light of day on DVD, I wish NBC would at least air them in full again like they used to before that poker show started. Perhaps even create an NBC retro channel of some sort.

Netflix offers instant access downloads of episodes from seasons 1-12, with 13-15 supposedly coming sometime in the Spring. I know the '70s episodes are available in full, but I haven't seen any of the Doumanian/Ebersol/renaissance-era downloads yet.

Actually, Vh1 will not only premiere the Year 33 and 34 hourlong edits --at least, based on the info you've given us-- but they already aired the Year 32 cuts for the first time. I don't think SNL has ever had a syndication package where every episode of every season and era was at the channel's disposal. Comedy Central never aired any '70s repeats.

avmon

[13]Jan 22, 2011
    • level: 16
    HelloStuart wrote:
    MattyJ87 wrote:

Netflix offers instant access downloads of episodes from seasons 1-12, with 13-15 supposedly coming sometime in the Spring. I know the '70s episodes are available in full, but I haven't seen any of the Doumanian/Ebersol/renaissance-era downloads yet.

Actually, Vh1 will not only premiere the Year 33 and 34 hourlong edits --at least, based on the info you've given us-- but they already aired the Year 32 cuts for the first time. I don't think SNL has ever had a syndication package where every episode of every season and era was at the channel's disposal. Comedy Central never aired any '70s repeats.
    Actually, I remember sometime during the mid-'90s, CC did air the 30-minute "The Best of Saturday Night Live" episodes from that era. By the way, do those air anywhere now?

HelloStuart

[14]Jan 24, 2011
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    MattyJ87 wrote:

Actually, I remember sometime during the mid-'90s, CC did air the 30-minute "The Best of Saturday Night Live" episodes from that era. By the way, do those air anywhere now?

No, and good riddance.

thecomedianky

[16]Jan 29, 2011
    • level: 19
    as long as Netflix has the sketches I like from Black/Young, I'm hapy.

thecomedianky

[17]Jan 29, 2011
    • level: 19
    comedy central did air some of the episodes from the early days because I remember a Belushi sketch where he is visiting a grave. It's possible that it could have been their marathon of episodes before they lost the rights.

avmon

[18]Jan 29, 2011
    • level: 16
    thecomedianky wrote:
    comedy central did air some of the episodes from the early days because I remember a Belushi sketch where he is visiting a grave. It's possible that it could have been their marathon of episodes before they lost the rights.
    That would be the nor-ironic "Don't Look Back in Anger" where a now-elderly John would visit the graves of all his former "Not Ready for Prime Time Players". In that one, Chevy was supposed to be the first after Foul Play and Gilda the second longest lived having had her own show on Canadian TV for years.
    Edited on 01/29/2011 8:25pm

HelloStuart

[19]Jan 31, 2011
    thecomedianky wrote:

That might've been TBO Belushi.

TheDiamondDog

[20]Jan 31, 2011

HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    That might've been TBO Belushi.

Pry was. I remember seeing it in the listings. For a bit they showed nothing but TBOs.