Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

BREAKING NEWS: Don Pardo Dead at 96

HelloStuart

[1]Aug 18, 2014
    • level: 63

This deserves its own thread. The last vestige of NBC's radio days is gone. At first I thought, "of SNL's announcers, only Mel Brandt still stands," but then I remembered that he passed away in 2008.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-pardo-dead-booming-voice-720129

Edited on 08/23/2014 10:50pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

avmon

[2]Aug 19, 2014
    • level: 16
    The last time I remember Mr. Pardo making a mistake was during a season premiere of the show: With the cast list always in alphabetical order, when Tina Fey's face and name came up-when she was no longer a featured player-Don accidentally said "Ana Gasteyer" since that was previously her spot. Then Ms. Gasteyer's name and face came on and he said "Ana Gasteyer with Tina Fey"! That was probably corrected when that was rerun. I'm just glad his blooper from the first show-when he announced "The Not For Ready Prime Players" is still intact. Oh, and here's a trivia note: Since he missed season 7, he never announced Christine Ebersole and he only announced Tony Rosato when he joined in that one show the previous season...

JustinRAn

[3]Aug 20, 2014
    • level: 12
    Also in Season 30/31, He called Will Forte, Will Fort

Maybe Darrell Hammond will be the new Announcer? Either him or Steve Higgens.

Hennes81

[4]Aug 21, 2014
    • level: 5

I was very sad when I heard about it. Maybe it's better to have a real "live" announcer (unlike those taped audios in the last years) and maybe it's helping to have a voice which can be used spontanousely for live skits.

But Dons voice was that unique it will be hard to get used to another announcer for a long time.

I don't know if they should hire a new long-term announcer immediately. Maybe use some cast member or Higgins for season 40 and search for someone else for season 41.

Woodstein

[5]Aug 21, 2014
    • level: 14
    My first guess as to a replacement was former Conan announcer Joel Godard, but he's 76 as of now and they'd probably want someone younger.

I was wondering what the show was planning to do as far as a tribute. Having the SNL page on Hulu feature sketches where he was seen or heard would be something I'd like to see (though the only thing that comes to mind is Frank Zappa's performance of "I'm The Slime", were there any others where Pardo showed up?)

Hennes81

[6]Aug 21, 2014
    • level: 5

Woodstein wrote:
    (though the only thing that comes to mind is Frank Zappa's performance of "I'm The Slime", were there any others where Pardo showed up?)

First thing I had in mind were the goodbyes with Tina Fey (90th birthday) and his spoken line "Suck it, Des Moines" from WU (Al Sharpton/Pink).

Here are some more skits in which he played in: http://snl.jt.org/cast.php-i=DoPa.html

avmon

[7]Aug 23, 2014

Hennes81 wrote:

Woodstein wrote:
    (though the only thing that comes to mind is Frank Zappa's performance of "I'm The Slime", were there any others where Pardo showed up?)

First thing I had in mind were the goodbyes with Tina Fey (90th birthday) and his spoken line "Suck it, Des Moines" from WU (Al Sharpton/Pink).

Here are some more skits in which he played in: http://snl.jt.org/cast.php-i=DoPa.html

In that "Get to Know Me" sketch, I think it would have been funnier if Steve Martin had referred to himself as having been directed in a movie by "Opie Cunningham" instead of just simply "Opie"!

Edited on 08/23/2014 8:18am

avmon

[8]Aug 23, 2014
    Watched the rerun with Josh Hutcherson that just aired to the end credits. Was pleasantly surprised to hear Don Pardo's voice during those credits which faded in the middle before seguing to his picture in the announcer's booth. Then the Broadway Video/SNL Studios logos appeared. Quite a touching moment...

HelloStuart

[9]Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstein wrote:
    My first guess as to a replacement was former Conan announcer Joel Godard, but he's 76 as of now and they'd probably want someone younger.

I feel wary of speculating, but I would say Steve Higgins is the odds-on favorite, at least on a temporary basis. I'd love to hear Joel again (and he's local too; he lives in Jersey) but his age might be the X factor. Edd Hall still lives in California, and Alan Kalter is still obligated to announce the Late Show for another nine months. You'd have to be kidding me if they consider bringing back any of the Don imitators (Piscopo, DH, Hader) to fill in.

Pardo loved SNL, and mutually I don't think Lorne ever seriously considered finding a successor until now.

Ruckhappy

[10]Aug 24, 2014
    • level: 9

Hader's not going to commute from L.A. just to do the announcing duties. Chris Parnell had been based in NYC to do Suburgatory, dunno if he's still around. Parnell would be the logical choice in many ways, at least as a temporary announcer, but Lorne's never been particularly close with him.

I don't see why Alan Kalter couldn't do it. He doesn't work for Letterman on Saturdays.

HelloStuart

[11]Aug 25, 2014
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Hader's not going to commute from L.A. just to do the announcing duties. Chris Parnell had been based in NYC to do Suburgatory, dunno if he's still around. Parnell would be the logical choice in many ways, at least as a temporary announcer, but Lorne's never been particularly close with him.

I don't see why Alan Kalter couldn't do it. He doesn't work for Letterman on Saturdays.

Simply put, Alan is under contract with another network. Positions like this aren't free-lance.

Ruckhappy

[12]Aug 26, 2014
    • level: 9

Well...

--He's under contract to Worldwide Pants, not CBS. Do you really think that Dave would hold back Kalter from pursuing a new gig that doesn't conflict with the Late Show?

--Gigs like those are usually freelance. The SNL band only works for the show on Saturdays, for instance. Voice work is piece work. Will Arnett just did as funny bit on Conan's show spoofing that aspect of the biz.

avmon

[13]Aug 27, 2014

Watched the "In Memoriam" at the Emmys and was touched when Don Pardo's picture came up and they played his "It's Saturday Night Live" sound bite. Also loved Billy Crystal's tribute to Robin Williams, Seth's monologue jokes, his and Amy's "intros" of Matthew McConahey and Woody Harrelson, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus' banter with co-presenter Bryan Cranston about his "Seinfeld" role before they kissed when she once again won Best Actress in a Comedy, and also Fred Armisen's "question" to Seth. Not so much thrilled with Andy Samberg's banter with Seth and was only partially amused with Weird Al Yankovich's number though was amused Andy participated in it. And why-when Casey Kasem's name and picture was presented in the "In Memoriam" segment-didn't they also show his cartoon character of Shaggy from the "Scooby Doo" series as well as the "America's Top Ten" title? Okay, that's all I'll comment on...

Edited on 08/27/2014 9:11am

JustinRAn

[14]Sep 9, 2014
    • level: 12
    Maybe Alec Baldwin? He did good announcing The Midnight Coterie and since he's said he wants to retire from acting, This might be a good paycheck and is close to his house (Well closer than Pardo's)