Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Darrell Hammond's disturbing autobiography now in stores (EDITED)

warqueen

[1]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 5

WQ: I KNEW FAIRLY WELL ABOUT DARRELL AND HIS PROBLEMS FROM GOSSIP ARTICLES DURING THE HEIGHT OF HIS TENURE AT SNL. BUT APPARENTLY THEY WERE MUCH MORE DEEPLY TROUBLING THAT PUBLICLY KNOWN.

"SNL" star Darrell Hammond shows serious side as he describes booze and cocaine binges, and being taken from NBC in a straitjacket, in a new book:

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/snl_star_did_booze_crack_fGurrnsUJYRjqCkLc8ogzJ

HERE IS THE INFO ON D.H.'s EARLY SUMMER CAR ACCIDENT AND SUBSEQUENT LAWSUIT:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/darrell_hammond_still_seriously_OcZYaniepiEIh5xSUxJ13J&

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/sit_down_comic_94iQEQ4Z0dQeCOMTAipTKN

Edited on 01/02/2012 4:09pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

warqueen

[2]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 5

http://qa.us.harpercollins.edynamic.info/books/god-if-youre-not-there-im-fcked/9780062064554

HelloStuart

[3]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 63
    To anyone wondering why Darrell left after Year 34, there's your answer.

HelloStuart

[4]Oct 24, 2011

Also, a HuffPo link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/24/darrell-hammond-reveals-h_n_1028122.html

TheDiamondDog

[5]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 61

Wow. I never knew it was that bad.

drudager

[6]Nov 12, 2011
    • level: 13
    So keeping Darrell on all these years did nothing to keep him on the straight and narrow, eh? You know this won't end well. Darrell always creeped me out. Always seemed a bit pasty and pale.

mrjimmyjames

[8]Nov 14, 2011
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    To anyone wondering why Darrell left after Year 34, there's your answer.

We don't know that. That's just speculation on your part unless you've seen something that specifically said that. I haven't yet but if you have, I'd love to know. SNL has employed addicts for years and most were never gone because of the drug abuse. This comes as a suprise considering the media has always pointed out how since the '95 reboot the show supposedly cleaned up its act, got rid of it's wild cast members, and adopted a low key professional atmosphere. Although I do mostly believe that to be the case, this definetely is one mark against the media's portrayal.

HelloStuart

[9]Nov 17, 2011
    Also, question for Queenie: what does it mean to be "crippled up?"

stellarchick86

[10]Dec 11, 2011
    • level: 32
    Maybe Im just looking into things way too much, but at the end of tonights ep (Katy Perry/9-10) everyone seemed reluctant to hug Darryl. Or he seemed reluctant to hug them..either way. Finally Bill or Seth walked up to him and did so (cant remember which one but I think Bill). So my point is that I wonder if something REALLY bad didnt happen behind the scenes that we just dont know about. I saw Darryl on a talk show recently, I think it was Jimmy Fallon, and he said he was clean so Im thinking that the cast would be more inclined to walk up to him and see how he was than to turn away (or at least thats what Id do) unless something more was there. Again could be imagining things and I never read his bio so IDK but..yeah.

drudager

[11]Dec 11, 2011
    • level: 13
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Maybe Im just looking into things way too much, but at the end of tonights ep (Katy Perry/9-10) everyone seemed reluctant to hug Darryl. Or he seemed reluctant to hug them..either way.

Would you openly hug a hardcore drug user like you're greeting on a talk show? Honestly he would creep me out; the things he's done and admitted to. Or maybe it was just typical "let's walk through these good nights" thing or they're just not that close with him. Or Hammond could be that creepy junkie off the street corner who seems to defy death each day.

stellarchick86

[13]Dec 11, 2011
    • level: 32
    ^Well I didnt read the bio, so I dont know exactly what hes done or admitted to, but I would be able to separate the guy I knew for years and was close to from the 'junkie off the streets' so I can at least walk over and say hi to him without making him feel like hes a leper. Maybe thats your style, but its not mine. Hes ruining his life, no one elses, and hes not a minor, so its not my room to judge what hes doing, especially since he knows what hes doing is wrong. Hes not a murderer or harming animals/babies (that I know of..lol) so its really not that big of a deal. Would they do it to John Belushi? Who DIED of an OD?

Ruckhappy

[14]Dec 20, 2011
    • level: 8
    I think the real point about Hammond's autobio is...why all the fuss? In 13 years on the show he set the all-time record for the least contribution of novel writing or imaginative sketch performances per episode. Worse, he created and cemented the role of their being a "designated impressionist" castmember, which I think is a terrible precedent. Seriously, would Lorne have hired Rich Little for the original cast if he could have afforded him?

HelloStuart

[15]Jan 2, 2012

A mixed review: http://www.avclub.com/articles/darrell-hammond-god-if-youre-not-up-there-im-fcked,66891/