Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Defend Fred

Ruckhappy

[1]Feb 21, 2012
    • level: 8

In the midst of chewing again over the subject of current cast who have overstayed their tenures, it occurred to me that I wasn't being fair to Fred. I mean, you only have to watch Portlandia to see that Fred can still create and play fresh, original characters and sketches if he wants. And I remembered that, for all that much of his current work feels tired, Fred still makes me laugh fairly often (unlike Kenan and Seth and to a lesser extent Kristen).

So I thought I'd throw out there bits that Fred does that I still like. It may be killing you, but I like it. I bet there are bits of his that you still like that are killing me...although if anyone defends Garth and Kat I'll have a coronary.

--Prince. Even though he's done Prince a million times, I was glad to see that impression again last weekend.

--The Manuel Ortiz Show. I know, I know, many of you hate it now, but I still laugh. I love the way Bill gets into the dancing.

--Roger Brush. I have a feeling this sketch isn't coming back but, y'know what, when the writing is good I still think it's funny.

--Liberace. This is more of a thumbs up for the Vincent Price specials. Shame they didn't do another Valentine's Day one. I bet Zooey could manage a pretty good Judy Holliday.

--Charles Nelson Reilly. Not actually Reilly but his take on him in the Match Game sketch. Hell, I loved that sketch, and Fred made it kill.

--Queen Elizabeth. I think it helps to have lived in the UK to get why his Cockney 'Liz is so funny.

So there you go, a dose of not-slagging the show or any of the cast.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[2]Feb 21, 2012
    • level: 13
    Fred as Fericito sucks. I hope we never, ever see that again.

He's been on the show long enough. Enough is enough.

Ruckhappy

[3]Feb 21, 2012
    Reading comprehension isn't your best skill, I see....

Ruckhappy

[5]Feb 21, 2012

rishabhpb wrote:
    Oh, and Nicolas Fehn. *runs*

(Bites tongue until it bleeds....)

I've spent a lot of time in Portlandia cafes infested with Nicholas Fehns. It's a very accurate caricature.

drudager

[6]Feb 22, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    Reading comprehension isn't your best skill, I see....

Eh, what? Did I miss something?

TheDiamondDog

[7]Feb 22, 2012
    • level: 61

drudager wrote:

Same here.

JustinRAn

[8]Feb 22, 2012
    • level: 12
    Ruckhappy wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:

I've spent a lot of time in Portlandia cafes infested with Nicholas Fehns. It's a very accurate caricature.

So? I've spent time with People who think you can say racist words as long as nobody's around. Just because they're accurate, doesn't mean they're funny or entertaining.

Roger Brush has been on about 10x too many. A Fat guy who can't hear people and then say crass things about them. LOL!!! (Note: sarcasm)

HelloStuart

[9]Feb 22, 2012
    • level: 63
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

drudager wrote:

Same here.

Ferecito was fine the first few times he was on, but yes, they dried out the well.

Ruckhappy

[10]Feb 23, 2012

JustinRAn wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:

So? I've spent time with People who think you can say racist words as long as nobody's around. Just because they're accurate, doesn't mean they're funny or entertaining.

If I'm biting my tongue it's obvious that I dislike his Fehn bit. In my case it's because I've had my ear-space polluted by real-life Fehns in cafes all too often. Unfortunately, taking their NY Times away and using it as a cudgel with which to beat them about the head and shoulders just results in trials and lawsuits and does nothing to shut them up.

Does no one recall the meaning of the word "defend"? It's obvious that many of us are sick of much of Fred's oeuvre at this point. That's not the point of this topic.

HelloStuart

[11]Feb 23, 2012
    How about Pep Walters? Everybody loves Pep Walters!

drudager

[12]Feb 24, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Does no one recall the meaning of the word "defend"? It's obvious that many of us are sick of much of Fred's oeuvre at this point. That's not the point of this topic.

No reason to get snooty about it. If you think there's going to be defending a cast member who's been on for 10 years & have been an average player at best, well, that's just not going to happen. I've never seen "Portlandia" or spent any time in Portlandia cafes, I have no idea who Charles Nelson Reilly generally was, and when was the last time Liberace was even in mainstream? I guess Fred is for you if you're an old timer but Fred's characters generally seem to be really obscure & out there references for most people.

I have nothing against Fred per se, I wish him a long successful career but his time on SNL is played out.

Ruckhappy

[13]Feb 24, 2012

The point was that just about any thread gets bogged down into blanket, generic condemnations and dismissals of the cast. No one sucks or is totally worthless all of the time (except Kenan). The point was to turn your opinion viewpoint around and force yourself to think about how you're making your mind up about the cast. Because, y'know, it gets pretty boring scrolling past the same broad-palette, non-specific slams against most or all of the cast, topic after topic, no matter what the original point of the topic was.

Fred is just an example, not someone who I care about particularly. Most SNL fans agree that Fred has had a good run on the show, and almost everyone has liked some of his bits at some point, so you should be able to look at his performances now with a fresh pair of eyes and see what it is about him you still find funny. Maybe if you did that it would shake up some of the opining here that is just as hackneyed and repetitive as the performances being given by some of the cast vets.

HelloStuart

[14]Feb 25, 2012
    Ruckhappy wrote:

The point was that just about any thread gets bogged down into blanket, generic condemnations and dismissals of the cast. No one sucks or is totally worthless all of the time (except Kenan). The point was to turn your opinion viewpoint around and force yourself to think about how you're making your mind up about the cast. Because, y'know, it gets pretty boring scrolling past the same broad-palette, non-specific slams against most or all of the cast, topic after topic, no matter what the original point of the topic was.

Fred is just an example, not someone who I care about particularly. Most SNL fans agree that Fred has had a good run on the show, and almost everyone has liked some of his bits at some point, so you should be able to look at his performances now with a fresh pair of eyes and see what it is about him you still find funny. Maybe if you did that it would shake up some of the opining here that is just as hackneyed and repetitive as the performances being given by some of the cast vets.

Agreed. There's been so much speculation about who's leaving this year that we're forgetting to discuss what we enjoy about the show.

malcovio

[15]Feb 25, 2012
    • level: 11
    I found the Latino-stereotype Richie Ines Jr. invading The Sound of Music pretty damn funny last season. "To me... that's the sound of music man."

mrjimmyjames

[16]May 16, 2012
    • level: 7

I remember not being able to stand him when the show started. I don't think a lot of other people did either; he just confused a lot of people. His first sketches (Fericito, The Prince Show, and the art dealers) were just so bizzare and unlike anything SNL usually produced and this rubbed me and a lot of other people the wrong way. I remember thinking Fericito was just so corny; it just felt off.My opinion isafter that he started to mainstream his comedy and as a result become a lot more successful (and in the process, winning me over). But now in retrospect, I have to admit his early stuff was actually pretty good and in fact genius (just watch Portlandia). I guess I just didn't grasp his unique brand of comedy until later; you have to admit it is very unusual. I actually am not tired of him being on the show and basically feel he continues to get better and better each year.

With that said he's not not perfect and his Obama impression is awful and he should have been replaced a long time ago with Jay Pharoah, who can do a great impression of him. I have mixed opinions on Nicholas Fehn but I absolutely think that Garth and Kat is the worst!!! How did that wind up on tv so many times?

JustinRAn

[17]May 16, 2012
    OK, If I "have" to defend Fred, I liked Show Biz! Grande Explosion; But that's about where he peaked In my opinion. It seems like he's trying to recapture that magic with Roger Brush, and Manuel Ortiz . However his Ferecito is easily drowned out by almost anything else he's done. David Patterson, Barack Obama, Joy Behar, Garth & Kat, Liberace, Elinda Nade, Frondi, Vogelcheck, Nicholas Fehn, and that News Team promo sketch was Painful.

JustinRAn

[18]May 16, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    How about Pep Walters? Everybody loves Pep Walters!

I don't remember Pep Walters but I hated him the 2nd time he did it, When he renamed it David Patterson and said New Jersey instead of a punchline.

JM5000

[19]May 16, 2012
    • level: 7

Let's face it, folks...There's hardly anything to defend Fred with...Sure, he's funny on Portlandia, sure he has his moments on SNL...But I think he's just worn out his welcome by this point. All he provides now is annoying characters and impressions that somebody else (preferrably one of our newer castmembers) could have played, possibly better than him!

I really hope he's out of here by the end of the year, because I think he's dragging the show down even worse than Kristen...

Ruckhappy

[21]May 17, 2012

What part of "a dose of not-slagging the show or any of the cast" do you people not understand?

I should have known that starting a not-slagging topic about someone in the cast would end up being devoted to slagging that person. But still...

stellarchick86

[22]May 18, 2012
    • level: 32

So what is the point of the thread? It is basically you saying why you like Fred. Okay, cool. Are we supposed to do the same? I honestly have no problem with Fred or any of his impressions/sketches (that I can remember) except I dont care for the Manuel Ortiz sketch. (which isnt because of Fred, but just the sketch itself)