Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Defend Fred

radrobd

[24]May 20, 2012
    • level: 53
    I don't find Armisen funny anymore. He needs to go. His Obama impression is dreadful. Not even remotely funny or even accurate. What happened to the good ol' days of SNL when castmembers gracefully left after 5 or 6 seasons. 10+ seasons is too long.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[25]May 20, 2012
    • level: 8

People had already been slagging Fred enough, that was the point. To find something you like in his current work on SNL was the point, as a way of forcing yourself not to write him (or anyone on the show) off completely just because you're tired of him. Fred is one of the most inventive cast members the show has ever had. He's now like an old screwball pitcher, who on any given day can still throw a no-hitter if he's on his game.

Besides, you might as well find something to like about him since it looks like he'll be back for another season.

Ruckhappy

[26]May 20, 2012
    • level: 8

Also, playing Obama pretty much killed what future Fred had left on SNL, and may have hurt his career overall. Sure, it made him way more famous, but it also let him get lazy and my sense is that playing the president turned into such a time sink that it drained away creativity and focus that might have gone to creating more new original characters.

JustinRAn

[27]May 21, 2012
    • level: 12
    I'm just tired of Fred's minstrel-show on SNL. If Portlandia is "So good," Why is he still on SNL? His Obama is way passed It's acceptance IMO. I hate his David Patterson. His Roger Brush is ESPN without the "funny lines." I don't like the Vogelchecks or Nicholas Fehn, And his Mike Bloomberg is no Rudy Giuliani.

JustinRAn

[28]May 21, 2012
    Overall, I think of Fred as cheesecake. The first few minutes, It's fresh, 5 weeks later, it grows mold and is just there.

drudager

[29]May 21, 2012
    • level: 13
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Overall, I think of Fred as cheesecake. The first few minutes, It's fresh, 5 weeks later, it grows mold and is just there.

Speak for yourself. 5-week old cheesecake is de-lish. The Foodie in me.

JustinRAn

[30]May 21, 2012
    I'm talking not in the fridge. It was just a figure of speech

HelloStuart

[31]May 21, 2012
    • level: 63
    JustinRAn wrote:
    I'm just tired of Fred's minstrel-show on SNL. If Portlandia is "So good," Why is he still on SNL? His Obama is way passed It's acceptance IMO. I hate his David Patterson. His Roger Brush is ESPN without the "funny lines." I don't like the Vogelchecks or Nicholas Fehn, And his Mike Bloomberg is no Rudy Giuliani.

Portlandia is a side project. It's not like Fred and Brownstein spend nine months out of the year writing and producing episodes. If anything, he's probably writing Season 3 from scratch as we speak.

mrjimmyjames

[32]May 28, 2012
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Portlandia is a side project. It's not like Fred and Brownstein spend nine months out of the year writing and producing episodes. If anything, he's probably writing Season 3 from scratch as we speak.

His Obama is downright embarrasing; he never should have played the guy to begin with. How Jay isn't playing the president, I'll never know. At least he's shown before (outside of SNL) that he can sound like and portray the mannerisms neccessary.

Portlandia isn't enoughof a reason for Fred to leave. Either he has to have some real projects lined up (televison show, various movies) or leave without anything lined up soley because he thinks he's been on long enough (much like Will Forte).

drudager

[33]Oct 2, 2012
    • level: 13
    Well, I think Fred's impressions are better than Hammond's, aside from the awful Obama, of course.