Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

EDT: Alec Baldwin/Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (5/15/10)

HelloStuart

[21]May 5, 2010
    • level: 63
    bry456 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    bry456 wrote:

This is a pleasant surprise:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2010/05/05/emmy-award-winner-alec-baldwin-and-legendary-musical-guest-tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers-highlight-snl-season-finale-may-15/20100505nbc01/To

Indeed. U2 notwithstanding, when was the last time we had a musical guest born before 1965?

I want to say Neil Young five years ago.

Upon doing some quick research... three members of Red Hot Chili Peppers were born in 1962. Yikes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bry456

[22]May 5, 2010
    • level: 19

HelloStuart wrote:
    bry456 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    bry456 wrote:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2010/05/05/emmy-award-winner-alec-baldwin-and-legendary-musical-guest-tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers-highlight-snl-season-finale-may-15/20100505nbc01/To

Indeed. U2 notwithstanding, when was the last time we had a musical guest born before 1965?

Upon doing some quick research... three members of Red Hot Chili Peppers were born in 1962. Yikes.

Well, they have been wearing socks for over 20 years now.

HelloStuart

[23]May 5, 2010
    bry456 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    bry456 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    bry456 wrote:

Well, they have been wearing socks for over 20 years now.

Just not on their feet.

thefanof

[24]May 6, 2010
    • level: 102
    Hmm, it's fitting that Tom Petty is the musical guest for Alec Baldwin's 15th show. It's been 15 years since he's had a hit.

Nah, but the show should be good though. Definitely skewing toward their older demographic in May is SNL (outside of Jay-Z.)

Nickycd

[25]May 7, 2010
    • level: 3
    this is a list (feel free to comment) on musical guest since Niel Young born before 1965.

1 Prince (steve Martin (2/06)
    2. Red Hot Chili Peppers (Tom Hanks (5/06)
    3. Paul Simon (Julia Luia Dryfuls (5/06)
    4. Bon Jovi (Taylor Lautner 12/09)

that should be about it

avmon

[26]May 7, 2010
    • level: 16
    Nickycd wrote:
    this is a list (feel free to comment) on musical guest since Niel Young born before 1965.

that should be about it
    It's interesting to me that Simon's appearance on Ms. Louis-Dreyfus' first show as host was the first time both appeared on an episode together since Julia's regular stint was during the Dick Ebersol era and Paul only guested on shows that involved his good friend Lorne Michaels.

HelloStuart

[27]May 7, 2010
    avmon wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:

1 Prince (Steve Martin, 2/06)
    2. Red Hot Chili Peppers (Tom Hanks, 5/06)
    3. Paul Simon (Julia Louis-Dreyfus, (5/06)
    4. Bon Jovi (Taylor Lautner, 12/09)

that should be about it

It's interesting to me that Simon's appearance on Ms. Louis-Dreyfus' first show as host was the first time both appeared on an episode together since Julia's regular stint was during the Dick Ebersol era and Paul only guested on shows that involved his good friend Lorne Michaels.

I doubt that there's a connection. Granted, certain actors and musicians wouldn't appear on SNL during the "lost years" because of their loyalty to Lorne (Chevy notwithstanding), but by now I'm sure bygones are bygones.

ClevelandRocker

[28]May 8, 2010
    • level: 25

Schwetty and Petty next week. Sorry, Delicious Dish still on my mind. The combination of Alec and Tom sounds like a good idea, but it also makes me think of John Goodman's monologue from his 1999 hosting appearance (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were the guests back then, too).

Ah, I'm in a retrospective mood.

Woodstein

[29]May 8, 2010
    • level: 14
    Nickycd wrote:

that should be about it

I think Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam was born in 1964, also.

warqueen

[30]May 9, 2010
    • level: 5

Woodstein wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:
    this is a list (feel free to comment) on musical guest since Niel Young born before 1965. 1 Prince (steve Martin (2/06) 2. Red Hot Chili Peppers (Tom Hanks (5/06) 3. Paul Simon (Julia Luia Dryfuls (5/06) 4. Bon Jovi (Taylor Lautner 12/09) that should be about it
    UH can yousay "MICK JAGGER"!! He was born before 1945! Hosted with The Rolling Stones in 1978(the only muscial group to ever host in the show's history. The other band members were born before 1945 except for Ronnie wood who was born 1947. The telecast was remembered for Jagger's liplock kiss with Keith Richards. He appeared as a surprise muscical guest 2 months later on the Elliot Gould//Peter Tosh episode, He was the muscial guest when his longtime girlfriend Jerry Hall hosted in 1986. He was on as the musical guest when Luke Perry hosted in 1993. That episode was remembered for an infamous Weekend Update skit in which Mick played as Keith Richards and Mike Myers played as Mick Jagger. Jagger called Myers Jagger a "ignorant slut" during an argument over music. And finally Jaggers was the musical guest when Hugh Jackman hosted in 2001. That episode was remebered for along with Will Ferrell being sodomized by a the Australian Christmas Kangaroo; a dressing room sketch were Jagger was talking to his "reflection in the mirror" with Jimmy Fallon playing as Jagger. (By the way, Jagger will be on this Friday night May 14 on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.) Jagger has appeared at least once in every decade that SNL has been on Woulf not be surprise to see him on again!

JerrySteveDave

[31]May 9, 2010
    • level: 6

The New York Post says Justin Timberlake is going to be involved next week: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/secret_segment_WcZzGSvxM4k6ZLUiPtzUpM

JerrySteveDave

[32]May 9, 2010
    • level: 6

The New York Post says Justin Timberlake is going to be involved next week: http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/secret_segment_WcZzGSvxM4k6ZLUiPtzUpM

HelloStuart

[33]May 9, 2010
    warqueen wrote:

Woodstein wrote:
    Nickycd wrote:
    this is a list (feel free to comment) on musical guest since Niel Young born before 1965. 1 Prince (steve Martin (2/06) 2. Red Hot Chili Peppers (Tom Hanks (5/06) 3. Paul Simon (Julia Luia Dryfuls (5/06) 4. Bon Jovi (Taylor Lautner 12/09) that should be about it
    UH can yousay "MICK JAGGER"!! He was born before 1945! Hosted with The Rolling Stones in 1978(the only muscial group to ever host in the show's history. The other band members were born before 1945 except for Ronnie wood who was born 1947. The telecast was remembered for Jagger's liplock kiss with Keith Richards. He appeared as a surprise muscical guest 2 months later on the Elliot Gould//Peter Tosh episode, He was the muscial guest when his longtime girlfriend Jerry Hall hosted in 1986. He was on as the musical guest when Luke Perry hosted in 1993. That episode was remembered for an infamous Weekend Update skit in which Mick played as Keith Richards and Mike Myers played as Mick Jagger. Jagger called Myers Jagger a "ignorant slut" during an argument over music. And finally Jaggers was the musical guest when Hugh Jackman hosted in 2001. That episode was remebered for along with Will Ferrell being sodomized by a the Australian Christmas Kangaroo; a dressing room sketch were Jagger was talking to his "reflection in the mirror" with Jimmy Fallon playing as Jagger. (By the way, Jagger will be on this Friday night May 14 on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.) Jagger has appeared at least once in every decade that SNL has been on Woulf not be surprise to see him on again!

Valid point, but you missed the original question; we were looking for musical guests since 2005. Jagger et al. hasn't been on SNL since 2001.

HelloStuart

[34]May 12, 2010
    Something I just realized: Tom Petty has now served as a musical guest for all four ten-time hosts: Buck Henry in 1979, Steve Martin in 1989, John Goodman in 1999, and Alec Baldwin in 2010.

whoaitsconner

[35]May 14, 2010
    • level: 21
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Something I just realized: Tom Petty has now served as a musical guest for all four ten-time hosts: Buck Henry in 1979, Steve Martin in 1989, John Goodman in 1999, and Alec Baldwin in 2010.

No, wait, that John Goodman episode was a repeat

Hirundine

[36]May 15, 2010
    • level: 26
    Well, that was one of the more disturbing digital shorts.

RealityFan2686

[37]May 15, 2010
    • level: 30

Holy crap, I thought the dude in the digital short was that guy from SuperBad and Arrested Development. It took me a little bit to realize that it was Andy.

I'm patheticly ridiculous for thinking that I know you can say it.

~~ Tina ~~

TheDiamondDog

[38]May 15, 2010
    • level: 61

The skits are pretty lame so far.

ClevelandRocker

[39]May 15, 2010
    • level: 25
    So, Bedeliah's mom is Tina Fey, and her dad is Alec Baldwin. Is this a subconscious attempt at getting a Liz-Jack romance? Or maybe a Baldwin-Palin relationship for all you horror fans.

avmon

[40]May 15, 2010
    • level: 16
    That was a funny "MacGruber"/"The More You Know" commercial.