Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Adam Levine/Kendrick Lamar (1/26/13)

thecomedianky

[45]Jan 26, 2013
    • level: 19
    Royce7815 wrote:

Ever since i seen Catfish i have always hoped SNL would parody it

Te'o really helped that happen
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[46]Jan 26, 2013
    • level: 45

Wow I totally forgot about that catfish movie despite all the hype it's had thanks to that football player.

danharr

[47]Jan 26, 2013

Crazy fan had that man in drag laugh factor it was okay.

warqueen

[48]Jan 26, 2013
    • level: 5

Did anyone really see what actually was the funniest about the catfish sketch?? When Aidy was talking to Jay. the glass window they were standing in front of, you could see the cue card crew person shuffle each card of writing of the of Jay's part of sketch!!

danharr

[49]Jan 26, 2013

Crazy Biden fell flat.

EJamison

[50]Jan 26, 2013
    • level: 17

warqueen wrote:

Did anyone really see what actually was the funniest about the catfish sketch?? When Aidy was talking to Jay. the glass window they were standing in front of, you could see the cue card crew person shuffle each card of writing of the of Jay's part of sketch!!

I could see something was going on but I couldn't tell what I was seeing back there, so thanks for explaining.

I started watching late on TiVo, as usual, and I'm finding myself fast-forwarding through a lot of it.

Ruckhappy

[51]Jan 26, 2013
    • level: 8

rishabhpb wrote:
    I could watch a half hour of Ariannasim.

Sorry, but this must always be noted:

Michaela's Arianna--http://www.hulu.com/watch/45816

Nasim's Arianna--http://www.hulu.com/watch/412901

It's a straight-up joke steal. Always has been. Nasim should really retire her Arianna.

(Perversely, I was connected to a high-profile political campaign years ago in which she was on the other side. Heard lots of inside stuff about her, the kind of opposition research details that the public rarely hears about. She is a weird cookie.)

Ruckhappy

[52]Jan 27, 2013

Feh, after watching it all...different day, same result. Not a bad show in terms of end product, just way too jacked up with gimmicks, cameos and pre-recorded material. Funny show, but not Saturday Night "Live". There was no "live" about it that wasn't cheap tricks, except for the cold open. Oh, and not a bad Update, despite the Arianna bit.

The thing about the gimmicks is, they're obviously trying to hide the fact that the writers room cannot write a real live sketch at the moment. That fire station sketch was HORRIBLE. I got the intent, yeah: set up Bill with a hugely overdrawn character and let him rip and see what he makes of it. Except that the result was Bill with his ass out in the wind. He had nothing with which to work if his physical play didn't work, so the end result was a hugely offensive stereotype. If someone had given him more sharp queen lines to play, maybe that sketch could have gotten over the top. Nobody wrote proper set-ups for him for that sketch, and not just initials but within the bridge of the sketch, so he'd have had backups to support such an extreme characterization. He had nothing, man. Bobby's character was just a lame afterthought tossed in to flesh out the premise to being a real sketch.

And the directing was just awful. Six bodies in a flat line across mid-stage tossing out lines. Triangles, people! The narrative should drive the blocking. These are 101-level errors.

The show is not in bad shape, but does no one understand the yawning lack? I'm sure that at the Lorne-level the thinking is, "The writers we've got have written great sketches, and they will again." But, empirically, do you have someone in the writers room at the moment that you know will come in on the Monday of the next show week and pitch and write a really solid live sketch?

Ruckhappy

[53]Jan 27, 2013

Speaking of that utter hunk of crap sketch, who picked those New Haven FD shirts out of wardrobe, and where did they get them?

83optics

[54]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 6

learned:

* Incredible Crew is SNL for kids.

* spooge=comedy

* Kendrick Lamar: YOLO > TDE

* watch out! it's a catfish! the cue cards are showing!

* Dashboard Confessional would have kicked all of those soft-rock butts.

* so, who y'all got in the Super Bowl? Ravens or 49ers?

TheDiamondDog

[56]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 61

The show turned out better than expected.

Did not need to see Levine with his shirt off. Sure, he works out, but I don't find him appealing.

I loved the digital short. I thought it was hilarious. And rather refreshing. YOLO is so annoying.

There were some skits I felt failed. Like the gay talk show outting people. A few others I didn't care for. Some were just okay. A couple were good.

jcav422

[57]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 2
    The show was an improvement over last week, but it really reminded me of a 03-04 type episode, specifically Christina Aguilera's episode. Ironic considering Maroon 5 was the musical guest that night. I'm not going to waste my time with Bieber.

Ruckhappy

[58]Jan 27, 2013

TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Did not need to see Levine with his shirt off. Sure, he works out, but I don't find him appealing.

Does Levine have a rep for being fit or something? I don't even know, I must confess. I haven't seen that much of Maroon 5 since they first hit years ago. The shirt-off thing I could see coming, but what the hell? Was that his publicist's idea? That wasn't the build of a guy who seriously trains. That's a coke/meth pretender, like the convenience-store psycho from Ghostworld. Way too little mass in his shoulders, and for all that he's cut, no abs work evident. That's...well, I don't want to say exactly, but that's not a healthy physique. I would not take my shirt off at Homebase looking like that.

HelloStuart

[59]Jan 27, 2013
    • level: 63
    My thoughts:

+ Did tonight's cold open remind anyone of "Chappelle's Show?" Not necessarily the show at its creative peak, but just the general aesthetic of the sketch. Dr. King had his character flaws, no question about that, but it requires a certain irreverence and daring-do that neither Kenan nor whoever wrote this has. Jay's Obama, accurate as it is, was once again pushed to the background and/or playing second fiddle. I do agree, however that nobody cares if Beyonce lip-synced or not.

+ For those of you keeping track, Jerry Seinfeld received a 12-second ovation in the monologue. I would love to see him host again.

+ Much like the weaker shows of the year so far, the best sketches were pre-recorded, which is rarely a good sign. The "Rosetta Stone" ad parody was a riot and the "Sopranos"/"Carrie Diaries" mash-up was right on the money. However, if anyone remembers anything about this episode one week from now, it was the triumphant return of Andy Samberg and The Lonely Island. The clever "YOLO" is a preview of TLI's as-yet-untitled third album (release date TBA) and conveniently features Levine and Lamar. On one hand, "YOLO" was clearly shot in LA, a cardinal sin dating back to Albert Brooks' shorts from Season 1. On the other hand, I will never look at furniture the same way again.

+ There have been many instances in SNL's history where one strong individual performance salvaged a bad sketch. Sadly, I don't think Bill's heroic effort --hambone and overwrought as it was-- could have saved that "New Haven Fire Department" sketch. The best line was the last line of the sketch, but instead of a solid, steady set-up to Nasim's sendoff it felt like the cherry on a rotten sundae.

+ What was with the teenage girls shrieking during Seth's first joke tonight?

+ A lot of sketches run well past their course. "Lite Rock Rumble" felt like only two-thirds of a sketch. Lots of great lead-up without a substantial payoff.

+ The "Adam and Janet" sketch opened the Law & Order "dunt dunt" sound effect, a great non-sequitor to an otherwise so-so sketch. Also, did anyone catch the allusion to Janet being HIV-positive?

+ I must confess, I haven't heard Good Kid, m.A.A.d City yet and I walked into tonight's show knowing very little about Kendrick Lamar. If his performances of the vice-riddled "Swimming Pool (Drank)" and smooth jazz-blended "Poetic Justice" are any indicator, this is a future superstar on the make. Granted, this is Kendrick's second album but he has a pretty clear idea of who he is and what he wants to do. Just don't call him Compton's answer to Kanye West... yet.

+ Tim Robinson was in three sketches tonight (he had blink-and-you-miss parts in "Rosetta Stone" and "YOLO") and none of them were live. That might be a first.

+ You can put me in the minority of people that thought tonight's show was stronger than Lawrence/Lumineers. Adam Levine straddled the line between charismatic and insufferable, and the writing was only marginally tighter than last week's broadcast. "The Voice" judge was relegated to mostly supporting roles or disappeared altogether, which was fine enough. After a hot start to the season, we are heading into a polarizing crapshoot of a host/musical guest double-threat in two weeks and I'm a little wary.

5.5/10

Ruckhappy

[60]Jan 27, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    ...it felt like the cherry on a rotten sundae.

(Is that a reference, Stu? Feels like it is but I don't recognize it. If that's an original line, take it and own it.)

HelloStuart

[61]Jan 28, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

(Is that a reference, Stu? Feels like it is but I don't recognize it. If that's an original line, take it and own it.)

Taken and owned.

Ruckhappy

[62]Jan 28, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

Taken and owned.

Remember to copyright your material, young Jedi. Nice line. Crisp. The metaphor pops.

TheDiamondDog

[63]Jan 28, 2013
    • level: 61

There was actually a pic in a recent US Weekly of the YOLO video shoot, with Adam Levine and the tinfoil on his head.

HelloStuart

[65]Jan 28, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

Taken and owned.

Remember to copyright your material, young Jedi. Nice line. Crisp. The metaphor pops.

Copyright 2013 -> S.M.A.

avmon

[66]Feb 2, 2013
    • level: 16
    Saw this ep a few days after it aired. Liked nearly everything except that sketch where Levine falls for Moynihan's female character...