TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Andrew Garfield/Coldplay (05/03/2014).

warqueen

[1]Apr 13, 2014
    • level: 6

The "Amazing Spider-Man" star and the rock band will appear on the show's May 3 episode.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/snl-andrew-garfield-host-695683

Wow! Surprised by Coldplay appearing, giving the bad publicity last weekend involving Chris Martin, Gwyneth Paltrow and SNL:

http://pagesix.com/2014/04/05/chris-martin-had-affair-with-an-assistant-after-snl-gig-sources/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2598696/Chris-Martin-blasts-completely-untrue-reports-affair-TV-assistant-Saturday-Night-Live.html

Edited on 04/12/2014 11:36pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[2]Apr 13, 2014
    • level: 8

It's kind of ironic...Last time Coldplay performed, it was with the OTHER Amazing Spider-Man star...Now they're matching Brit with Brit...

Hennes81

[3]Apr 13, 2014

At least this time they can't repeat a Tobey Maguire monologue (since Tobey's monologue was written about his name and his movie credits).

JM5000

[4]Apr 13, 2014

What about Kirsten Dunst and Emma Stone, who both did monlogues with one of the cast members playing Spider-Man and doing the upside-down kiss thing...? Hopefully they try something new this time, even though I KNOW the monologue is gonna be Spidey-related...

Hennes81

[5]Apr 13, 2014

JM5000 wrote:

What about Kirsten Dunst and Emma Stone, who both did monlogues with one of the cast members playing Spider-Man and doing the upside-down kiss thing...? Hopefully they try something new this time, even though I KNOW the monologue is gonna be Spidey-related...

Yeah, I meant that, but since they made that really clear in the monologue and used it as a joke about the recent Spiderman incarnation it was fine for me. Even though I don't need Spiderman sketches, it would be nice to see Emma Stone cameo.

JM5000

[6]Apr 13, 2014

Hennes81 wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

Yeah, I meant that, but since they made that really clear in the monologue and used it as a joke about the recent Spiderman incarnation it was fine for me. Even though I don't need Spiderman sketches, it would be nice to see Emma Stone cameo.

There's a pretty good chance Stone will indeed make an appearance...

HelloStuart

[7]Apr 19, 2014
    • level: 63
    Oh yeah, and Coldplay will join the Five Timers. Only the third band to do so.

I doubt the very public divorce of Gwyneth and Chris played any factor in booking his band again.

JM5000

[8]Apr 19, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    Oh yeah, and Coldplay will join the Five Timers. Only the third band to do so. I doubt the very public divorce of Gwyneth and Chris played any factor in booking his band again.

Not that SNL ever really cared about that kind of stuff, hence why Kanye West is still a favorite...

HelloStuart

[9]May 2, 2014
    • level: 63

Time for promos!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/snl-promo-andrew-garfield/2777773

JM5000

[10]May 3, 2014

Episode Predictions:

Monologue: My cameo-sense is tingling...

Sketches: For a host like this one, there's bound to be at least one sketch where he plays the humiliated straight man...

First Musical Performance: "Magic".

Second Musical Performance: My guess will be "A Sky Full of Stars", but it could also be either "Midnight" or "Oceans".

Other: A tribute to Bob Hoskins, showing a clip of him from the 98 episode hosted by Greg Kinnear.

Cameo: Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx.

danharr

[11]May 3, 2014
    • level: 45

Opening was a firm Meh would've been better if they could've gotten the real Dennis Rodman. Monologue blew even more and stanks left me cold but the building fart demolition did make me chuckle.

danharr

[12]May 3, 2014

Celebrity Feud I'm ashamed to say made me chuckle a few times since it was really weak.

danharr

[13]May 3, 2014

Diedra and Oliver Twist was another crazy skit that didn't do much for me. Really an Adjustment Bureau parody aka an excuse to plug the new 24 series.

Edited on 05/03/2014 9:28pm

Royce7815

[14]May 3, 2014
    • level: 4

Enjoyed Celeb Family Feud, they should have put Obama's make up on Jay or something; Andrew's Timberlake impression was pretty solid though. Was Beygency a specific parody of a movie?

Edited on 05/03/2014 9:11pm

danharr

[15]May 3, 2014

Spiderman kiss was funny and no that's not just the Ezra Brooks and Dos Equis Amber talking.

danharr

[16]May 3, 2014

Wedding proposal was funny.

Royce7815

[17]May 3, 2014
    danharr wrote:

Spiderman kiss was funny and no that's not just the Ezra Brooks and Dos Equis Amber talking.

lol danharr are you always watching SNL with your friends Ezra and Dos around this time?

danharr

[18]May 3, 2014

Royce7815 wrote:
    danharr wrote:

lol danharr are you always watching SNL with your friends Ezra and Dos around this time?

I'm always drunk watching SNL but the method changes. Next week I hope to be 3 sheets to the wind thanks to Jim Beam Select paycheck willing .

Edited on 05/03/2014 10:00pm
    Edited 2 total times.

danharr

[19]May 3, 2014

Not a great episode the Louis CK rerun was better we'll see what this weekend brings.

Royce7815

[20]May 4, 2014

Cold open was predictable, but entertaining. I love how at the end of it they had Sasheer, Jay and Kenan announce the show in a way of further teasing Mr. Sterling. I think it was safe to say that we were all expecting to see Emma to bad we couldn't have gotten another hosted show from her this season, and I knew that was Aidy as Lady Liberty when I saw the movie. Stanx was funny in that a while ago I would have cracked up at the end, but now it was just more of a smile.

During the Update segment about Lupita Nyong'o I was almost sure Sasheer was coming out, but no they went and had their new writer Leslie make an appearance. I have always seen her in movies and I have to say it was weird seeing her on here. She was funny, but I don't know where she would have fit in with the cast really. Taran made another mistake during his Jebidiah sketch which is starting to make me think he may be doing it on purpose now, to really sell the "I'm filling in for Stefon bit". SNL continued it's love affair with dudes kissing. It was pretty funny, but I saw no point in it. It seems like Kyle and Beck could have written something really quick to end the night rather than repeating that bird bible sketch.

Edited on 05/03/2014 11:24pm