Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Andy Samberg/St. Vincent (05/17/2014)

warqueen

[1]Apr 23, 2014
    • level: 5

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/04/23/charlize-theron-andy-samberg-snl/

Edited on 05/14/2014 5:44am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[2]Apr 23, 2014
    • level: 7

Well, well, well...SNL ending a season with a host and musical guest who are both first-timers? How long has it been since they've done that?

I was actually almost certain that Andy was gonna be the second-to-last for this season, but I guess since he pretty much shaped SNL into what it is today, he at least has some kind special impact-factor that won him this honor, especially since he hasn't even done it yet (nor was he well-known for his live performances...)

I don't know who St. Vincent is, but I'll listen to her music and see what I think of her...She almost seems like their stand-in since Adele still isn't ready with her new album, but no matter...Actually, this kinda leaves the door open for Adele to perform for this year's Christmas special, since SNL tends to have similar musical guests between the finale and Christmas special each year...I'll show you...

2006: Nelly Furtado/Justin Timberlake

2007: Maroon 5/The Killers (At least it was BELIEVED that they were gonna perform for the Christmas special that year had it not been for the Writer's Strike.)

2008: Usher/Kanye West (who might I add was trying his hand at R&B singing a the time...He was no Usher...)

2009: Green Day/Muse

2010: This was an odd one, since it was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers vs. Eminem and Lil Wayne, but the way they followed the indie band, then rapper, then classic rock artist routine with MGMT/Florence, Jay-Z/Diddy, Petty/McCartney near the end of each, it still kind of fits...

2011: Lady Gaga/Michael Buble...Yeah, not much similarity, but they both performed with Tony Bennett...

2012: Mick Jagger/Paul McCartney

2013: Kanye West/Justin Timberlake (In essence, they're not that similar, but they both put on similar performances...Also, the preceding musical guests were both third-timer bands who interestingly have their own pattern between the two of them, but that's a little beside the point...)

But that's enough blabbering about how great Adele is...This is St. Vincent's moment...But next season, I'll cross my fingers for Adele to close out the year, especially with the knowledge that both Gaga and Kanye have new albums scheduled as well...

HelloStuart

[3]Apr 23, 2014
    • level: 63
    Hey JM5K, where did you hear that The Killers were supposed to play the 2007 Xmas show? They didn't have a new album out that year, and I doubt they were just promoting one of their goofy annual holiday tunes. If I recall correctly, no acts were booked beyond Thanksgiving because of the WGA strike.

JM5000

[4]Apr 23, 2014

It was a rumor...Probably just Brandon Flowers talking malarkey...But they actually did have a compilation album out that year called "Sawdust" and Flowers said they were gonna perform the song "Tranquilize" with Lou Reed...Again, no real confirmation, but I read it somewhere...

Edited on 04/23/2014 8:41pm
    Edited 2 total times.

warqueen

[5]Apr 28, 2014

JM5000 wrote:

Well, well, well...SNL ending a season with a host and musical guest who are both first-timers? How long has it been since they've done that?

On the top of my head, I can't think of one. But I do know in season 22 (1996-97) there was an ex-cast member hosting 5 shows straight in a row; with a total of 7 ex-cast members total hosting the 20 episodes that same season! On a related note, I am now inclined to believe the season 40 premiere in Sept. will be hosted by either most likely Amy Poehler or possibly Kristen Wiig (Wiig is who I picked at the end of season 38 to host either season 39 finale or season 40 premiere.

But it all really depends on if Vladimir Putin ends up nuking us later this spring-summer!!!

Hennes81

[6]Apr 29, 2014

warqueen wrote:

But it all really depends on if Vladimir Putin ends up nuking us later this spring-summer!!!

I guess a Wiig season 40 premiere is far more likely than the beginning of WW3 this summer.

Hennes81

[7]Apr 29, 2014

JM5000 wrote:

My first guess would have been Braff/Maroon 5 but I just forgot about Maroon 5 being the MG in Season 29.

So I had to look it up and it wasn't even that far ago (like I thought it would be): Season 29, Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen / J-Kwon.

Edited on 04/29/2014 3:01am

JM5000

[8]Apr 29, 2014

Hennes81 wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

My first guess would have been Braff/Maroon 5 but I just forgot about Maroon 5 being the MG in Season 29.

So I had to look it up and it wasn't even that far ago (like I thought it would be): Season 29, Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen / J-Kwon.

That's still ten years...Over the last decade, they almost seemed to establish a rule that they should end every season with guests that have already established themselves in the past...And in the past couple years, they gradually established that they like ending seasons with the biggest names out there (or at the very least, an SNL favorite).

But regardless, I can still see the logic behind these choices...Andy, like I said, has made a name for himself by creating the Digital Shorts, which to this day are still SNL's last big thing (not counting cast members) to break out into mainstream pop culture...They practically owe him for making the show relevant again, if not just for a few years...In a way, he's an even bigger breakout for this show than Wiig, who alone definitely wouldn't have changed the tide of attention for SNL's legacy...

St. Vincent meanwhile has critics falling head over heels for her new album while also being one of the biggest names in indie music, probably second only to Arcade Fire...While she may not have performed on the show before, she probably has a good enough history of live performances that SNL trusts her enough to close out this season...That said, they probably would have ended it with someone more conventional had they been available, but for now at least, there are no release dates for the new albums of Adele, Foo Fighters or U2...So they just decided to dig back for the most successful album so far this year...(On that note, I have a feeling that St. Vincent is this year's frontrunner for album of the year...)

Edited on 04/29/2014 9:16am

JM5000

[9]Apr 29, 2014

warqueen wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

On the top of my head, I can't think of one. But I do know in season 22 (1996-97) there was an ex-cast member hosting 5 shows straight in a row; with a total of 7 ex-cast members total hosting the 20 episodes that same season! On a related note, I am now inclined to believe the season 40 premiere in Sept. will be hosted by either most likely Amy Poehler or possibly Kristen Wiig (Wiig is who I picked at the end of season 38 to host either season 39 finale or season 40 premiere.

Yes, I remember that season...I think they actually dedicated an entire month (and then some) to celebrating the cast over the years by having a former cast member host each week...

As for next season's premiere, at the very least, I don't think it SHOULD be Wiig, or even Poehler...First of all, I found it odd enough that they would have a former cast member host this season's premiere, which was technically just two episodes after the previous former cast member host (Wiig hosting last season's sub-finale and Fey hosting this season's premiere...) So to go straight from one to another would probably be too much...What's more, this season already put former cast members in EVERY MAJOR SHOW: Fey hosting the premiere, Fallon hosting the Christmas special, and now Samberg hosting the finale...To keep the trend going next season would be going too far, and start to show a lack of originality on our producers' part...Surely they can mix it up a bit...

That said, there' no doubt in my mind that we'll likely see Wiig again next season, probably somewhere in the first half...I'm thinking the Halloween special with Lady Gaga would be fitting enough...They can do another Target Lady sketch where Gaga plays another weird, quirky employee...

Also, I can still get my hopes up for Sarah Silverman to host the second-to-last show of the year, since that show will surely fall on the week before Hanukkah...But that's just hoping, despite what Stuart said before...

Other possibilities include Seth Meyers, Fred Armisen, Bill Hader and Jason Sudeikis...

HelloStuart

[10]Apr 29, 2014
    JM5000 wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

That's still ten years...Over the last decade, they almost seemed to establish a rule that they should end every season with guests that have already established themselves in the past...And in the past couple years, they gradually established that they like ending seasons with the biggest names out there (or at the very least, an SNL favorite).

Newbie or not, Samberg is an alum and a safe bet. Plus, "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" will likely pick up a few Emmy nominations in July.

HelloStuart

[11]May 14, 2014

Promo time!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/snl-promo-andy-samberg/2781867

JustinRAn

[12]May 16, 2014
    • level: 12
    Rahm Emanuel is in the news and could give the writers some material to work with. I'm begging Please no digital shorts this episode.

JM5000

[13]May 17, 2014

JustinRAn wrote:
    Rahm Emanuel is in the news and could give the writers some material to work with. I'm begging Please no digital shorts this episode.

Why? Do you really think they'd bring Andy back to host and NOT do what made him such a standout to begin with?

Episode Predictions:

Cold Opening: Well, like Justin said, Rahm Emanuel is relevant, and just in time for the show hosted by the guy who played him and made him such a funny character...Their cold opening is practically gift-wrapped...

Monologue: Whenever a former cast member hosts, especially for the first time since they left the show, it is customary for them to sing about how great it is to be back, dance around backstage, and meet a bunch of random cameos...Being that the former cast member in question this time is Andy Samberg, there is nothing more appropriate for a monologue than doing a big-ass rap number...And hell, since Andy has always been the king of Lampshade Hanging (look up the phrase on TVTropes for more info), as evidenced in various Digital Shorts, it would be downright HILARIOUS if he were to actually make the rap number part about how great it is to be back, part how cliched these kinds of monologues are, especially for former cast members...All while dancing backstage and meeting an avalanche of cameos...(Also, the rap number features his fellow Lonely Islanders, Justin Timberlake and St. Vincent.)

Sketches: Let's see...How many Samberg characters to exploit...? I guess possibilities include the Blizzard Man, Mort Mort Feingold, T'Shane (from Deep House Dish of course), and one half of the two R&B singers...Also, unless anyone can back up Justin's argument for no Digital Shorts...a Digital Short...Maybe we can crossover Andy's Shorts with Jay's music videos and Beck and Kyle's little weirdo vids...If nothing else, perhaps a video for one of the songs from "The Wack Album"...As for other sketches...well...I think Andy would be perfect for the rule-of-three "Mornin' Miami" sketch...

Weekend Update: It's time for another installment of "GET IN THE CAGE!" with Nicolas Cage, and his special guest, Bryan Cranston, where Cage asks the very important question...of why he's not in the new Godzilla movie (insert Nicolas Cage, giant lizard joke here). And while he's at it, he can ask why he wasn't in Breaking Bad (insert Nicolas Cage, meth joke here). And if he REALLY wants to go that far, he can ask why he wasn't in Malcolm in the Middle (insert Nicolas Cage, dysfunctional family joke here). I guess this would be satisfactory for the final Update guest of the season, but if they want to take it a step farther, Seth can drop by and give his two cents on how Colin and Cecily have been doing since he left...before Stefon calls him so they can go shopping for...something weird...

First Musical Performance: The way I see it, it could be any two songs from her album...But I'll make my best guess regardless..."Digital Witness".

Second Musical Performance: "Prince Johnny"

Cameos: Aside from the ones I already suggested, just ANYONE they can get in there...It's the finale; Go crazy!

danharr

[14]May 17, 2014
    • level: 45

The Jay Z/Solange bit was one of the few openings this year I was pleased with and a guest spot from Maya! Oh yeah she's got a new show to promote...

Edited on 05/17/2014 8:42pm

avmon

[15]May 17, 2014
    • level: 16
    Great to see Maya back as Beyoncé with Keenan, Jay, and Shasheer, the latter two playing Jay-Z and Solange!

Royce7815

[16]May 17, 2014
    • level: 4

The long awaited Jay-Z and Solange sketch did not disappoint.

danharr

[17]May 17, 2014

Monologue was awesome perhaps we have a good night ahead of us.

avmon

[18]May 17, 2014
    • level: 16
    OMG! First, Seth Meyers, then Bill Hader (glad he did Casey Kasem and referenced his recent "disappearance"), and to top if off, Marty Short! I'm so excited!

danharr

[19]May 17, 2014

I spoke too soon so when they can't give us back to back girls skits they do the same thing just in a new location?

danharr

[20]May 17, 2014

Digital Short wtf was up with that attack on EDM music?