Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Anna Faris/Drake (10/15/11)

evildevil97

[43]Oct 16, 2011
    • level: 26
    I'm often quick to criticize modern SNL, but the J-Pop talk show was awesome. I actually kind of hope to see it recur.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[44]Oct 16, 2011
    • level: 63
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Woodstein wrote:
    I missed the episode last night but just caught it on Hulu. It got off to a weak start with the cold open and monologue, but definitely improved after Update. Speaking of which, Weekend Update has usually been one of the weakest bits on the show lately, which is especially problematic since it goes on for so long. It's hard to believe that after this season, Seth will have been anchor for as long as Tina Fey and Dennis Miller.

As for the post-Update stuff I liked, the J-Pop talk show and the foppish boyfriend sketch stood out. Other show highlights would probably include the GOP Debate sketch.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Seth needs a co-host. Give him Nasim or Vanessa or a female writer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Seth is fine on his own. Nobody's going to "assign" him a co-anchor because he has almost unilateral control over the show's content. The head writer wields a big hammer.

HelloStuart

[45]Oct 16, 2011

My thoughts:

+ Is it really that hard to write a satirical piece about Michael Bloomberg? He's been in office almost ten years but SNL has only eked out two sketches about him? Either way, Fred's aloof imitation of him was serviceable though far from memorable, and even a bleeding heart like me is growing tired of hearing about "Occupy Wall Street" and its gazillion offshoots.

+ The only twists to the latest "Manuel Ortiz Show" sketch were the hidden camera and the abrupt fire drill ending. Otherwise, the only praise I can throw on this sketch was the way Bill delivered his lines.

+ Speaking of Bill: he has the natural charisma to host a game show, without a doubt, but does he really have to host every parody?

+ Excuse the negativity so far, but if I had a favorite sketch of the evening it was probably the Digital Short. Andy's various quick-take interviews with Drake got increasingly silly and carried a level of organic, lo-fi charm that we haven't seen in a filmed piece lately.

+ I'll be honest, I didn't really get the point of the teenager/bag-jacking WU commentary, but Jay sure is a strong hypeman. I think that's the most physical I've ever seen him on the show.

+ My second favorite sketch of the night was probably "Tell Him," which deftly parodied the 1962 Exciters' hit and applied to the mind games women play on men and themselves. As someone with a passing knowledge of the talent that has come and gone on the Chicago improv scene, it's very obvious Vanessa had her fingerprints all over this.

+ As for Drake, he's too pop for my tastes but he has stage presence to spare. His performance of "Headlines (They Know)" was just captivating.

+ Was it me, or did "Foppish Cecil" end very abruptly? Seriously, there was no ending...

+ I don't particularly care for the four consecutive live shows pattern that has been the norm for the last five years; that last show is almost guaranteed to be underwhelming. Tonight was certainly the case, as a lack of energy hampered a lot of promising sketches. Faris seemed to enjoy herself, though she mostly played supporting parts in sketches and often seemed more like a dazed follower than assertive leader as host. (In real life she's surprisingly articulate and well-read. If you don't believe me, check out that profile of her in The New Yorker from a few months back.) In short, the good cancelled out the bad, a 5 out of 10 if there ever was one.

HelloStuart

[46]Oct 16, 2011
    JustinRAn wrote:
    How long has John Mulaney been a producer?

Since August. Belated congrats!

JustinRAn

[47]Oct 16, 2011
    • level: 12
    What'll get cut?

Can you include these at the end of your reviews like you used too?

HelloStuart

[49]Oct 17, 2011
    JustinRAn wrote:
    What'll get cut?

Can you include these at the end of your reviews like you used too?

1. Probably everything after "Tell Him." The last 20-25 minutes had its share of concept sketches that just didn't work.

2. I can't make any guarantees, but thank you for reminding me.

TheDiamondDog

[50]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 61

I wasn't into the music itself, but the performances were quite captivating. Not my kind of music, but I was watching them. Drake and Nicki do have great stage presence.

BaronOne

[51]Oct 17, 2011
    • level: 15

Here's my review:

http://hotoffpress.wordpress.com/2011/10/17/saturday-night-live-anna-farisdrake-101511/

HelloStuart

[52]Oct 20, 2011
    One further comment: did anyone notice that Vanessa had more screen time than Kristen this past week (or so it seemed)? VBay is really asserting herself in ways that Nasim and Abby have yet to figure out.

stellarchick86

[53]Oct 21, 2011
    • level: 32
    ^Yeah. Ive noticed that this season has been very Vanessa and Bobby heavy, whereas in the past Kristen usually took their screentime.

JustinRAn

[54]Oct 22, 2011
    • level: 12
    Hey I thought she was good in the digital short and should be like that for the rest of the season (Wiig's Spade in America segment).

thecomedianky

[55]Oct 27, 2011
    • level: 19
    Finally watched it today. Not too bad.

thecomedianky

[56]Oct 27, 2011
    • level: 19
    I agree with Stu on this:
    + My second favorite sketch of the night was probably "Tell Him," which deftly parodied the 1962 Exciters' hit and applied to the mind games women play on men and themselves. As someone with a passing knowledge of the talent that has come and gone on the Chicago improv scene, it's very obvious Vanessa had her fingerprints all over this.

JM5000

[57]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 8

Okay, so I finally watched this episode tonight, and I have to say, despite some of the negative criticism, I quite liked it.

Anna was far from the best host this season (though that's not saying much, considering some really good hosts we've gotten like Baldwin, McCarthy, Fallon and Radcliffe). Regardless, she did her job fine.

Most of the sketches I found funny: The Digital Short was surprisingly very funny, Weekend Update was good, "Tell Him" was certainly something, let me tell you...Despite some haters, I do like the J-Pop sketches. As for Lord Wydemere, I have to admit I found the Charles Barkley version better, though maybe that's just because I saw it first...And I agree, it ended a little abruptly...Nonetheless, I still like the character...Real pity Paul had to leave this show...

The only sketch I didn't find very funny was the Ferrari Calendar sketch...But to be fair, it was the 11:58 sketch, and at least Wiig and Farris put on a good performance (albeit a bit obnoxious). As for Drake, while I'm no fan of his, I have to admit his performances were enjoyable.

Overall, an episode I find underrated. I wouldn't be surprised if I find the same to be the case with the Stiller episode. I think people can be overly-critical with this show; I say, just sit back and enjoy it, and only complain if there's anything you REALLY hate...Like, say, relying on recycled sketches all the time, which again, does not seem to be the practice this season.