Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Anne Hathaway/Florence + The Machine (11/20/10)

BaronOne

[21]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 15

This has been a crazy good episode. Anne impresses once again and the cast is more than ready!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hirundine

[22]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 26
    So, did they finally drop the "here's a picture of the host OMG WAIT IT MOVES" stuff?

thecomedianky

[23]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 19
    I'd like to nominate this as the best show of the season so far. Sorry, Jon Hamm.

thecomedianky

[24]Nov 20, 2010
    Hirundine wrote:
    So, did they finally drop the "here's a picture of the host OMG WAIT IT MOVES" stuff?
    looks like it. Maybe Stu complained.

Woodstein

[25]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 14
    -Seeing Penelope again wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, since they seemed to go all-out with the sight gags, but I feel that they're making the sketches more formulaic than they have to be. A different ending (or even a twist on the ending they always use) would be a nice change of pace.

-I generally enjoy the celebrity impression clearinghouse sketches, but "Horse Play" was too similar to "Bunny Business" from the Taylor Swift show (which I enjoyed, but really felt like an inferior copy this time around)

-I enjoyed seeing the Miley Cyrus show again, but my fear of them doing it six more times this season, culminating with a walk-on cameo from the actual Miley Cyrus continues unabated.

-My favorite show of the season so far has been the Poehler/Perry show, but I think this tops that one, as Poehler's show was uneven and hasn't held up to repeated thinking-aboutings.

Woodstein

[26]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 14
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Hirundine wrote:
    looks like it. Maybe Stu complained.

They did it for the last MG bumper tonight, but yeah, it kind of creeps me out.

warqueen

[27]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 5

Is it just me; or I swear I heard Anne drop an uncensoredF-bomb during the Mega-Mart skit, at the the part just beforewhere she ran up crazed to the camera??She said it so fast you could barely catch it. Paging Stu...

Also: Wasn't Jason Sudekis a dead ringer for Adam Lambert! I actually for a second thought it was the real Adam Lambert!

Does anyone think that Vanessa as Miley Cyrus is actually hotter & better looking than the real Miley Cyrus. And I say that as someone who personally knows Billy Ray Cyrus.

And what do you call Florence Welch of 'Florence and the Machine' if she were 50 pounds heavier??

ESTELLE.

avmon

[28]Nov 21, 2010
    • level: 16
    I only managed to watch the first 30 minutes as I had to pick up relatives after that but I liked what I saw and am looking forward to seeing the rest on DVR...

avmon

[29]Nov 21, 2010
    • level: 16
    avmon wrote:
    I only managed to watch the first 30 minutes as I had to pick up relatives after that but I liked what I saw and am looking forward to seeing the rest on DVR...
    The rest of the show was very entertaining as well.

TheDiamondDog

[30]Nov 21, 2010
    • level: 61

I laughed so hard at the airport security commercial. And the MegaMart thing. That was so awesome.

The Queen reminded me of several characters when she became tough and kinda Cockney.

I also thought it was so sweet the way Florence looked at the end of her performances. I don't know if I've ever seen that before. She seemed rather humble.

HelloStuart

[31]Nov 21, 2010
    • level: 63
    thecomedianky wrote:
    did anyone else see a Blago ad for pistachios?

Yes. I almost threw my remote at the TV.

HelloStuart

[32]Nov 21, 2010

My thoughts:

+ Rachel Maddow again? This was out of left field. I will admit that Abby has smoothed out whatever kinks she had with her Maddow impression, and I liked that the lesbian jokes were kept to a minimum. The sketch itself was so-so; the banter between Rachel and Speaker John Boehner (BH) felt like it was lifted from a Doonesbury comic strip from two months ago, though Nancy Pelosi's (KW) parting shot was a marvel of wonky facial expressions.

+ It would be nice to have one funny ad spoof per episode, but tonight we were blessed with three. "A Message from the TSA," "Camel Tame," and the epically absurd "Mega-Mart" all clicked.

+ Jason Sudeikis should play perverts and implied pedophiles more often. His Billy Ray Cyrus impression went to levels of comical creepiness that Bryan Cranston never could've touched.

+ Regardless of whether you love or hate Penelope, she's a fun character to tinker with. Though my favorite sketch to feature Kristen's serial one-upper was from Harris/Swift in Year 34, tonight's charity fa├žade might be a close second.

+ Considering how the creative talent has embraced caffeine in recent years as a source of internal renewable energy –as opposed to old school SNL, where a little cocaine went a long way- the irony of NYC's ban of Four Loko was not lost on the cast and writers. Update covered the story with an amusing commentary from creator Chris Hunter, and the infamous "blackout in a can" was also referenced in the aforementioned "Mega-Mart" ad spoof.

+ Jay Pharaoh appears on Update wearing… a Jay Pharaoh t-shirt. He's been on the show for two months and he's already battling a swollen ego. *facepalm*

+ I didn't have a chance to listen to Florence + The Machine's 2009 album Lungs in time for my year-end list, and in retrospect that was a very glaring omission. Ms. Welch's soaring voice, an audible cross between Kate Bush and Siouxsie Sioux, is not so much an instrument as it is a flare gun, a bright puff of smoke in a wilderness of banality. My only nitpick: the Burundi drums on "Dogs Days Are Over" sounded kind of muddy.

+ Every live show has that one outright bad sketch, and the "Wizard of Oz" deleted scenes took that honor tonight. The concept was fair enough, but Fred as Lon Donson (as a neurotic weather vane) was nothing more than a tepid Jewish stereotype.

+ Between the end of "WXPD News" and the beginning of Florence's second song, SNL was not live for a staggering eleven minutes. Considering that infamous 17-minute Albert Brooks film from the first season –the one which Lorne cut in half for air- that seemed a bit excessive.

+ "Horse Play" was basically the same sketch as "Bunny Business" from last year, with some of the same artists to boot, yet I laughed anyway. Random references to Dolores O'Riordan and Robert Smith are always fine in my book.

+ I rated tonight's show as a 7.5. With the season one-third over, it appears the cast and writers have found a weird little stride. With the exception of Penelope and Miley Cyrus, the presence of recurring characters and tired set pieces was minimal, though I would not rule out another appearance by nonagenarian reporter Herb Welch. Anne Hathaway found a way to top her first hosting stint from two years, no small feat considering how uneven SNL has been since the 2008 elections.

+ As for what gets lopped off for the 60-minute edit, I'll go with Guy Fieri on Update, "The Wizard of Oz," "Camel Tame," Florence's second song, and "Horse Play." Not an easy decision, trust me on that.

HelloStuart

[33]Nov 21, 2010
    warqueen wrote:

Is it just me, or did I hear Anne drop an uncensored F-bomb during the Mega-Mart skit, at the part just before where she ran up crazed to the camera? She said it so fast you could barely catch it. Paging Stu...

I don't remember hearing her swear. Maybe it was a grunt, like "fuhhhhh..."

thecomedianky

[34]Nov 21, 2010
    HelloStuart wrote:

My thoughts:

+ Every live show has that one outright bad sketch, and the "Wizard of Oz" deleted scenes took that honor tonight. The concept was fair enough, but Fred as Lon Donson (as a neurotic weather vane) was nothing more than a tepid Jewish stereotype.

I have to agree with you on this sketch.

BaronOne

[35]Nov 22, 2010

My thoughts

BaronOne

[36]Nov 22, 2010

HelloStuart wrote:

+ Jay Pharaoh appears on Update wearing… a Jay Pharaoh t-shirt. He's been on the show for two months and he's already battling a swollen ego. *facepalm*

That's jumping to conclusions a bit, I think.

bry456

[37]Nov 23, 2010

WXPD News sketch's possible influence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOc4XgBespw&feature=related

JustinRAn

[38]Nov 18, 2011
    • level: 12
    The VH1 Repeat has the Following:

- Cold Open
    - Anne Hathaway's Monologue (I Still thought she was a good host for SNL and the Oscars)
    - The Miley Cyrus Show (PS, Get over yourself Katie Holmes)
    - TSA
    - The Royal Family
    - Weekend Update (Chris Hunter part Cut, PS VH1 Does every SNL repeat have to include Update since Seth went solo?)
    - MUSICAL PERFORMANCE: Florence and the Machine- Dog Days Are Over
    - The Essentials
    - Mega Mart