Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Ben Affleck/Kanye West (5/18/13)

Hennes81

[1]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 5

Sources:

TVbythenumbers
    Twitter

Closing out the SNL season for his fifth time as host, Ben Affleck's most recent directorial effort, "Argo," won Best Picture at the 2013 Academy Awards and he can next be seen in "Runner Runner." Kanye West also makes his fifth appearance as SNL's musical guest. The 21-time Grammy Award winner's newest album will be released later this year.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hennes81

[2]Apr 26, 2013

If there is a chance to get an official take on the five timers rules for musicians this is it!Laughing
    I don't think there will be a big celebration like they did with JT but I think it will be announced in the monologue or at least good nights.

Even though Ben will never become an all-time favourite for me, he is well deserving at this point of his career. Also a good choice for season finale!

jcav422

[3]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 2
    As with Wiig, i'm very happy with this choice. This season has been a dud. However, I thought Vaughn would be great, but the current state of the show made it a disaster. Affleck is always good, but I'm really hoping this ends up well. As for Kanye, ugh...

HelloStuart

[4]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 63
    Hennes81 wrote:

If there is a chance to get an official take on the five timers rules for musicians this is it!

That's a good catch, Henny. This is the first time two newly-minted five-timers are in the same show. For the record, I am very much still in the "yes, it counts" camp.

Also, this show will be the unofficial tenth anniversary of my first SNL review on TV Tome/TV.com.

JustinRAn

[5]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 12
    All I want is a Keith Olberman return

He was in Extract With Jason Bateman who was in Paul with Bill Hader

Hennes81

[6]Apr 27, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    This is the first time two newly-minted five-timers are in the same show. For the record, I am very much still in the "yes, it counts" camp.

I would also count music gigs for the club, but it would be nice to get an official confirmation on air to solve all discussions. Also in yesterdays tweet only Ben was named as a new member:

nbcsnl wrote:
    And for the Season 38 Finale, 5/18: @BenAffleck joins the #5TimersClub with his 5th appearance as host! And music from @kanyewest!! #SNL

Maybe they will do s.th. on the show. Like Ben starting the monologue in his club robe an Kanye gets on stage an tries to steal it.
    At least they have various options of mentioning it. Hopefully we get so official ruling for the 5 Timers Club.

Ruckhappy

[7]Apr 27, 2013
    • level: 8

The Rule of the Five-Timer was settled when Timberlake was proclaimed one for his fifth hosting appearance, not fifth hosting & MG appearance. Done deal. Besides, do you really want Kanye in the Five-Timers Club?

I don't imagine they'll do a full Five-Timers Club sketch for a second time, but I'm willing to bet that John Goodman will make a monologue cameo to invest Affleck with his club jacket and perhaps any other five-timers who happen to be in town.

JustinRAn

[9]Apr 27, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

The Rule of the Five-Timer was settled when Timberlake was proclaimed one for his fifth hosting appearance, not fifth hosting & MG appearance. Done deal. Besides, do you really want Kanye in the Five-Timers Club?

I don't imagine they'll do a full Five-Timers Club sketch for a second time, but I'm willing to bet that John Goodman will make a monologue cameo to invest Affleck with his club jacket and perhaps any other five-timers who happen to be in town.

How about a Loose parody of Argo where Ben Affleck and John Goodman try to save the other 5 Timers from Being banned from the show forever?

They'll have to change the catchphrase to "Argo Host 5 Times"

TheDiamondDog

[10]Apr 27, 2013
    • level: 61

I just hope Kim Kardashian doesn't appear.

JustinRAn

[11]Apr 28, 2013

TheDiamondDog wrote:

I just hope Kim Kardashian doesn't appear.

Can do a Mirror thing with Nasim's Kim?

Or Kim can play Kourtney and all 3 can appear on Update.

Edited on 04/28/2013 1:25pm

Ruckhappy

[13]Apr 28, 2013

rishabhpb wrote:
    NO. Just... no.

As the baby-mama of the MG, they can't really exclude her from backstage, and if she wants to sit in the floor seats where the cameras can catch her, it would be rude of the producers not to accommodate her. They don't have to give her a cameo, but imagine the stink that Kanye would make if he asked them to give her a cameo and Lorne said no. Rational? No, but he ain't a rational guy.

That said, if she asked for a cameo and they roasted her, Kanye would look a fool for throwing a bitch-fit over it because she's such a ludicrous figure. I'm guessing they write her in for a non-speaking, brief backstage cameo and then she's allowed to horn in on the goodnights. Awful, but livable.

Ruckhappy

[15]Apr 29, 2013

rishabhpb wrote:
    I'm still recovering from her brief appearance on 30 Rock... in the same capacity as Paul McCartney. Why, Tina Fey?

To this day, I still do not understand that cameo. It wasn't funny, it was just grotesque. I prefer to believe that Lorne pressured Tina into agreeing to the Karlockian, er, Kardashian cameo.

JustinRAn

[16]Apr 29, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:
    I'm still recovering from her brief appearance on 30 Rock... in the same capacity as Paul McCartney. Why, Tina Fey?

To this day, I still do not understand that cameo. It wasn't funny, it was just grotesque. I prefer to believe that Lorne pressured Tina into agreeing to the Karlockian, er, Kardashian cameo.

Maybe she wanted to be on the show?

Forget Kim Kardashian, I wonder if Donnie Bartalotti will return? Probably not considering the Recent News

And I want the writers to mock Ben's $1.50 a Day for food. Kate can do a Rachel Ray Impression, Bobby can do Guy. It almost writes itself.

Edited on 04/29/2013 2:04pm

mrjimmyjames

[17]Apr 29, 2013
    • level: 7

JustinRAn wrote:
    All I want is a Keith Olberman return

Yes! What would it be about? Is Keith even doing anything? I guess it would have to be about Keith watching baseball?

mrjimmyjames

[18]Apr 29, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

So how does that explain Paul Simon's membership?

Ruckhappy

[19]Apr 30, 2013

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    So how does that explain Paul Simon's membership?

The F.O.L. (Friend of Lorne) exception to the rule: You have to have hosted five times to be a true Five-Timer...unless you happen to be a very close friend of Lorne's who is a huge music legend who appeared on SNL, like, a gazillion times during the Golden Era. In fact, by writing Paul into Timberlake's Five-Timers Club sketch they pretty much confirmed the rule exactly as I've written it.

Incidentally, by the week of Affleck's show it should be known internally if NBC is going to pick up John Mulaney's new sitcom, in which Elliott Gould co-stars. If NBC does--and they surely will--Lorne might ask Gould to cameo to invest Affleck in the club.

mrjimmyjames

[21]Apr 30, 2013

[QUOTE="Ruckhappy"]

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    Incidentally, by the week of Affleck's show it should be known internally if NBC is going to pick up John Mulaney's new sitcom, in which Elliott Gould co-stars. If NBC does--and they surely will--Lorne might ask Gould to cameo to invest Affleck in the club.

I think I'd prefer that over Goodman doing it.

Ruckhappy

[22]May 1, 2013

mrjimmyjames wrote:

I was thinking that both Gould and Goodman could do a walk-on cameo during Affleck's monologue to invest him in the club. If Gould was there they could work in a tasteful plug for John Mulaney's new sitcom as part of Nasim taking a farewell bow. If Jason and Seth are leaving as well as Nasim, they'll have some sort of farewell bows bit at the end of the show.

mrjimmyjames

[23]May 1, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

I was thinking that both Gould and Goodman could do a walk-on cameo during Affleck's monologue to invest him in the club. If Gould was there they could work in a tasteful plug for John Mulaney's new sitcom as part of Nasim taking a farewell bow. If Jason and Seth are leaving as well as Nasim, they'll have some sort of farewell bows bit at the end of the show.

What's up with Nasim? I know this is a great pilot to leave for, but this is the second one she's signed onto. I feel as though I'm getting the same vibe that I got when Abby left last year, that Nasim is trying to leave on her own before being forced off. And I just don't know why they would want to force her off (Abby's forced exit made complete sense and i had long expected it). I mean hasn't she been pretty good? I always find her to be pretty funny.