Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Ben Affleck/Kanye West (5/18/13)

Ruckhappy

[25]May 2, 2013
    • level: 9

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    What's up with Nasim? I know this is a great pilot to leave for, but this is the second one she's signed onto. I feel as though I'm getting the same vibe that I got when Abby left last year, that Nasim is trying to leave on her own before being forced off. And I just don't know why they would want to force her off (Abby's forced exit made complete sense and i had long expected it). I mean hasn't she been pretty good? I always find her to be pretty funny.

Second? Are you sure about that? I don't think that Lorne would have let her sign a pilot deal prior to this season. He couldn't have spared her.

Nasim is not about to be forced off. She's been a very productive member of the cast. I doubt that they will cast another woman over the summer, in part because I think they'll want to hold open a lot for Nasim to return in the unlikely event that Mulaney's sitcom gets cancelled quickly. Abby leaving for a pilot on another network in which she was clearly miscast smacked of desperation. Nasim leaving to co-star in NBC's top new sitcom for the fall, produced by Lorne, is a promotion. Sure, she may have chosen to take it because she realized, with the advent of Kate and Cecily being so good, that she'd be no more than one member of an ensemble of very talented women for the remainder of her career at SNL.

Still, in conventional terms, co-starring on a plum sitcom is a step up from being in the cast of SNL. People sometimes forget that it just doesn't pay that well and it's all too common to end up like Kattan or Oteri or Sanz, having labored away the prime of your career years for relatively little money at SNL and find yourself struggling for work after the party's over. Nasim's making a smart move.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mrjimmyjames

[26]May 2, 2013
    • level: 7

Ruckhappy wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    What's up with Nasim? I know this is a great pilot to leave for, but this is the second one she's signed onto. I feel as though I'm getting the same vibe that I got when Abby left last year, that Nasim is trying to leave on her own before being forced off. And I just don't know why they would want to force her off (Abby's forced exit made complete sense and i had long expected it). I mean hasn't she been pretty good? I always find her to be pretty funny.

Second? Are you sure about that? I don't think that Lorne would have let her sign a pilot deal prior to this season. He couldn't have spared her.

Nasim is not about to be forced off. She's been a very productive member of the cast. I doubt that they will cast another woman over the summer, in part because I think they'll want to hold open a lot for Nasim to return in the unlikely event that Mulaney's sitcom gets cancelled quickly. Abby leaving for a pilot on another network in which she was clearly miscast smacked of desperation. Nasim leaving to co-star in NBC's top new sitcom for the fall, produced by Lorne, is a promotion. Sure, she may have chosen to take it because she realized, with the advent of Kate and Cecily being so good, that she'd be no more than one member of an ensemble of very talented women for the remainder of her career at SNL.

Still, in conventional terms, co-starring on a plum sitcom is a step up from being in the cast of SNL. People sometimes forget that it just doesn't pay that well and it's all too common to end up like Kattan or Oteri or Sanz, having labored away the prime of your career years for relatively little money at SNL and find yourself struggling for work after the party's over. Nasim's making a smart move.

Yeah, my bad. I just looked for it again and i think the pilot i read about her signing up for a while ago was this one and i didn't realize it. I couldn't find the tv.com article that said it and the onei sawyesterday was very recent. The tv.com article had not mentioned anything relating to Mulaney's show.

mrjimmyjames

[27]May 5, 2013

So, which cast members are having a last episode?

Jason- has to be leaving; surprised he didn't leave mid-season

Nasim- the minute her pilot is picked up she's gone

Seth- his replacing of Jimmy hasn't been announced yet (but it's assumed to happen); will he need to leave on the finale or leave mid-season right before "Late Night" launches?

Fred- does the popularityof Portlandia give him enough of a reason to leave? he's been on forever

Kenan- also been on forever; attempted a pilot

Hopefully, Bill will stay another year

Edited on 05/05/2013 2:59pm

JM5000

[28]May 5, 2013
    • level: 8

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Jason- has to be leaving; surprised he didn't leave mid-season

Nasim- the minute her pilot is picked up she's gone

Seth- his replacing of Jimmy hasn't been announced yet (but it's assumed to happen); will he need to leave on the finale or leave mid-season right before "Late Night" launches?

Fred- does the popularityof Portlandia give him enough of a reason to leave? he's been on forever

Kenan- also been on forever; attempted a pilot

Hopefully, Bill will stay another year

Jason: He's been wanting to leave for some time now, and now that it's official that he will NOT be playing our president, it's time...

Nasim: It's definitely possible, since she's been pretty well pushed into the sidelines lately in favor of the other girls...

Seth: I'd give him a little longer...

Fred: He has the same vibe as Will Forte the season before he left; He just doesn't feel needed or significant anymore...

Kenan: I'd give him one more season...

Bill: Two more seasons...

And finally...

Don: No one will ever replace him, but he's too old now and has shown signs of dwindling health...I'd rather he leave with an even bigger sendoff than Wiig (since he's been on the show longer than anyone) than abruptly pass away partway through next season or the season after and get nothing more than a memorial...He's been wanting to retire for some time now, and I think they have every reason to let him go...

Ruckhappy

[29]May 5, 2013

In fact, I'm not sure that was Pardo doing the intros last night. It sounded like a very, very good imitation of him, but the voice was a hair too deep and didn't quite round the vowels the way Pardo does.

Otherwise...

Seth: It's possible that Lorne might want him to keep doing Update for half a season while he's waiting to take over Late Night, but I doubt it. They may even announce during the NBC upfronts that Seth is officially taking over Late Night, and he's going to have quite a job building a good production staff. He'd probably like to have the fall free to do pre-production work for the new Late Night. Also, they haven't changed Update anchors during a season in the "live ball" era, except for Norm's firing.

Nasim: Gone, and good luck to her. And Mulaney himself as well, of course. Speaking of which, what SNL writers might Lorne allow to "transfer" to Mulaney's sitcom? Marika Sawyer worked on the pilot, but I don't think Lorne wants to lose her. Maybe someone like Erik Kenward or Bryan Tucker if his sitcom with Kenan is DOA.

Jason: Olivia Wilde does not strike me as the kind of girlfriend who would be content dating someone chained to a show as demanding as SNL. Plus all the signs are that he's definitely done after this season.

Bill: He seems to have all the freedom he needs to work outside SNL and still stay on the show officially. I'm a little disappointed that his productivity has gone down this season, but half-Bill is better than no-Bill. Between having two small kids at home and his wife having a film career of her own, I suspect he'll be back.

The real wobblers...

Armisen: The CW should be that if they're losing three vets, Lorne will want to keep everyone else, plus His Fred-ulance keeps making noises about staying forever. But I think he'll go too, unless Lorne really wants him to stay. I expect that next season will be an even bigger transition year, with half the cast having one season or less of experience and maybe a third of the writing staff being new. The people auditioning to be hired for the cast and to write will be twenty years younger than Fred. That's a sign it's time go.

Kenan: Well, I doubt he'll leave voluntarily with no follow-on work lined up. That being said, of the two Kenan would be the most useful and least damaging. Kenan didn't inflict two awful drag sketches on SNL this season, right? He's a useful second banana. Having him in the cast with Jay also lets them do real black-oriented sketches when they have a black host like Maya, Foxx or Kevin Hart.

My main reservation about Kenan sticking around is that I suspect they'll cut the full cast roster down by one slot next season, so the impact of keeping around a less-productive guy like Kenan will be increased. With the high level of talent they have among the newer cast, they can afford to lose four and only hire three. In fact, they'd be better off with a 3-for-4 churn than a 2-for-3 churn if that meant getting rid of Fred.

Edited on 05/05/2013 5:02pm

mrjimmyjames

[30]May 5, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

In fact, I'm not sure that was Pardo doing the intros last night. It sounded like a very, very good imitation of him, but the voice was a hair too deep and didn't quite round the vowels the way Pardo does.

Otherwise...

Seth: It's possible that Lorne might want him to keep doing Update for half a season while he's waiting to take over Late Night, but I doubt it. They may even announce during the NBC upfronts that Seth is officially taking over Late Night, and he's going to have quite a job building a good production staff. He'd probably like to have the fall free to do pre-production work for the new Late Night. Also, they haven't changed Update anchors during a season in the "live ball" era, except for Norm's firing.

Nasim: Gone, and good luck to her. And Mulaney himself as well, of course. Speaking of which, what SNL writers might Lorne allow to "transfer" to Mulaney's sitcom? Marika Sawyer worked on the pilot, but I don't think Lorne wants to lose her. Maybe someone like Erik Kenward or Bryan Tucker if his sitcom with Kenan is DOA.

Jason: Olivia Wilde does not strike me as the kind of girlfriend who would be content dating someone chained to a show as demanding as SNL. Plus all the signs are that he's definitely done after this season.

Bill: He seems to have all the freedom he needs to work outside SNL and still stay on the show officially. I'm a little disappointed that his productivity has gone down this season, but half-Bill is better than no-Bill. Between having two small kids at home and his wife having a film career of her own, I suspect he'll be back.

The real wobblers...

Armisen: The CW should be that if they're losing three vets, Lorne will want to keep everyone else, plus His Fred-ulance keeps making noises about staying forever. But I think he'll go too, unless Lorne really wants him to stay. I expect that next season will be an even bigger transition year, with half the cast having one season or less of experience and maybe a third of the writing staff being new. The people auditioning to be hired for the cast and to write will be twenty years younger than Fred. That's a sign it's time go.

Kenan: Well, I doubt he'll leave voluntarily with no follow-on work lined up. That being said, of the two Kenan would be the most useful and least damaging. Kenan didn't inflict two awful drag sketches on SNL this season, right? He's a useful second banana. Having him in the cast with Jay also lets them do real black-oriented sketches when they have a black host like Maya, Foxx or Kevin Hart.

My main reservation about Kenan sticking around is that I suspect they'll cut the full cast roster down by one slot next season, so the impact of keeping around a less-productive guy like Kenan will be increased. With the high level of talent they have among the newer cast, they can afford to lose four and only hire three. In fact, they'd be better off with a 3-for-4 churn than a 2-for-3 churn if that meant getting rid of Fred.

I'm not even sure if they'll stop imitating Don after he eventually passes (what is the legality of that?).

That's the thing about Kenan and Fred is they're not like Jason. They're part of the group thatdoes'nt have movies waiting for them. I remember I used to compare them to Forte and I thought well either they'll blindly jump off with nothing immediate or they'll cling to the show. Unlike Kenan, Fred does actually have something even if it's on a sister show.

I've gotten to the point where the longer Fred is on the more i like him; i'm not ready for him to go. He went from being a guy who's style didn't really fit quite well in the beginning to a guy who found a calling mocking Gov Patterson to dominating the show with sketches like The Californians. I'm not ready for him to leave yet. This is probably the best he's ever been on the show. And when I look compare Fred, Will, and Kenan, it's hard not to think thatWill made a mistake leaving. He's not that relevant and Fred and Kenan are. I can't really blame them for staying as long as they have.

Didn't Stu say Mulaney already left. His wikipedia entry says that as well.

JustinRAn

[31]May 5, 2013
    • level: 12
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

Otherwise...

The real wobblers...

I'm not even sure if they'll stop imitating Don after he eventually passes (what is the legality of that?).

That's the thing about Kenan and Fred is they're not like Jason. They're part of the group thatdoes'nt have movies waiting for them. I remember I used to compare them to Forte and I thought well either they'll blindly jump off with nothing immediate or they'll cling to the show. Unlike Kenan, Fred does actually have something even if it's on a sister show.

I've gotten to the point where the longer Fred is on the more i like him; i'm not ready for him to go. He went from being a guy who's style didn't really fit quite well in the beginning to a guy who found a calling mocking Gov Patterson to dominating the show with sketches like The Californians. I'm not ready for him to leave yet. This is probably the best he's ever been on the show. And when I look compare Fred, Will, and Kenan, it's hard not to think thatWill made a mistake leaving. He's not that relevant and Fred and Kenan are. I can't really blame them for staying as long as they have.

Mulaney might have left but he's still listed on the Writers for the Zach G. Episode.

Ruckhappy

[32]May 6, 2013

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Good question, actually. I know a little bit about the intellectual property law of post-mortem estates controlling the image rights of dead celebrities, but "soundalike" rights? Dicey question. But they wouldn't use an imitator if Pardo was actually dead. Incapacitated...well, we're already pretty sure they've already done so this season.

mrjimmyjames wrote:

He was dropped from the SNL writing credits at or near the start of the season, presumably when he was completing the pilot script/package for his sitcom in LA. Then he was added back in to the regular writing credits. Maybe he's been working for SNL remotely from LA, or doing pre-production for his sitcom remotely from NYC while working on SNL. He had to have been in LA for much of March and April to shoot the pilot though. I suspect he's been effectively gone from the show since last fall but they've been giving him a vanity credit for writing a couple of Stefon pieces. He was credited as a staff writer for Zach's show though.

mrjimmyjames

[33]May 7, 2013

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Apparently Jimmy's successor will be announced in mid-Maywith allof the Fall announcements. The other contenders are Andy Cohen and Nick Cannon (pretty horrific competition for Seth). Supposedly they want to change the show to differentiate it from "Tonight" and want to change what guests he can book (understandable, same city). And to change it they would like to have him make part of it like Weekend Update. I'm pretty sure this has already failed once when Kilborn tried tomerge elements from the Daily Showwith the Late Late Show so i'm skeptical.

JustinRAn

[34]May 7, 2013
    • level: 12
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Apparently Jimmy's successor will be announced in mid-May with all of the Fall announcements. The other contenders are Andy Cohen and Nick Cannon (pretty horrific competition for Seth). Supposedly they want to change the show to differentiate it from "Tonight" and want to change what guests he can book (understandable, same city). And to change it they would like to have him make part of it like Weekend Update. I'm pretty sure this has already failed once when Kilborn tried to merge elements from the Daily Show with the Late Late Show so i'm skeptical.

I'd take Seth, Andy, or Nick compared to Howard Stern. And why do they need to change the layout for Late Night? Daily Show and Colbert Report film less than a mile from each other and have similar formats/guests

Ruckhappy

[36]May 7, 2013

rishabhpb wrote:
    They can't keep the show the same... Seth's not going to be doing sketches or musical bits. Better to have more of what he's good at.

They can't make the show like Update either or it'll sink like a lead balloon. Seth could potentially play "sketches" in a talk-show context if he was allowed to play above them the way that Conan does. Can't do musical bits but he's much smoother than Jimmy. He's got a sure-footed insouciance that Jimmy doesn't have. In fact, he's a bit more Carson than Jimmy is. He knows how to "own the desk" when he's playing the master of ceremonies, whether it's Update or Live! or whatever.

jcav422

[37]May 8, 2013
    • level: 2
    Why do I feel like this show is going to have extremely long songs by West, which are going to drag the amount of sketches down to a minimum? Also, if a few cast members are leaving, I feel that Affleck is just going to be pushed to the side with sketches commemorating the leaving cast members.

mrjimmyjames

[38]May 9, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

Apparently Jimmy's successor will be announced in mid-May with all of the Fall announcements. The other contenders are Andy Cohen and Nick Cannon (pretty horrific competition for Seth). Supposedly they want to change the show to differentiate it from "Tonight" and want to change what guests he can book (understandable, same city). And to change it they would like to have him make part of it like Weekend Update. I'm pretty sure this has already failed once when Kilborn tried to merge elements from the Daily Show with the Late Late Show so i'm skeptical.

I'd take Seth, Andy, or Nick compared to Howard Stern. And why do they need to change the layout for Late Night? Daily Show and Colbert Report film less than a mile from each other and have similar formats/guests

They need to change it because the show will now have to compete for the same guests as Tonight. And they want to distract from that somehow. Back in the 80s Letterman (who worked for Carson) had restrictions on what he could do.

I actually like Howard Stern and think it would work with him; however that is not possible. CBS's Saturday night dalliance with him in the 90s proved that.

mrjimmyjames

[39]May 9, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:
    They can't keep the show the same... Seth's not going to be doing sketches or musical bits. Better to have more of what he's good at.

They can't make the show like Update either or it'll sink like a lead balloon. Seth could potentially play "sketches" in a talk-show context if he was allowed to play above them the way that Conan does. Can't do musical bits but he's much smoother than Jimmy. He's got a sure-footed insouciance that Jimmy doesn't have. In fact, he's a bit more Carson than Jimmy is. He knows how to "own the desk" when he's playing the master of ceremonies, whether it's Update or Live! or whatever.

Yeah, what show other than the daily show has been successful at copying the format to late night talk shows? Craig Kilborn tried to continue it on CBS and was ignored. (I consider Colbert to be completely different due to its setup.) Dennis Miller tried it on CNBC. I just don't associate the idea with success. I'd rather see Seth do something completely different.

Ruckhappy

[40]May 10, 2013

jcav422 wrote:
    Why do I feel like this show is going to have extremely long songs by West, which are going to drag the amount of sketches down to a minimum? Also, if a few cast members are leaving, I feel that Affleck is just going to be pushed to the side with sketches commemorating the leaving cast members.

Unless they want to bring back a lot of alums for cameos, they may not do many "last call" commemorating sketches. Jason has always been more of an ensemble guy, so unless they bring back Forte for another Twinkle & Stink sketch, he'll likely wrap it with just a last bit as The Devil on Update. Same with Fred, to his credit. I doubt he's going to haul out Ferecito at this point, so what "signature" character of his would he do? A last The Californians? I think he has more sense than that. If Kenan's leaving, they'll do a last WUWT?, but I suspect he's staying one more season. A last Bedelia for Nasim seems like a stretch; the easier one for her will be to do a stepper-upper with the actual Kim K. (ugh).

Oh wait, I missed the obvious one! A last Underground Underground Music Festival sketch! Yes, a must.

I just hope they don't lard up the show with a bunch of cameos, or let Kanye do three songs. Either they need to cut back the season finale and Christmas shows to being regular SNL episodes or stretch them to be two-hour specials. I hate watching these star-bloated "SNL" episodes in which you barely get to see the cast.

mrjimmyjames

[42]May 11, 2013

Now that Mulaney's pilot has been passed on, I think he is the front runner for WU.

HelloStuart

[43]May 13, 2013
    • level: 63
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Well, Nasim may not be going after all. Just can't see how a network in search of broader comedies would pass on a multi-camera sitcom with star power.

At the same time, NBC greenlighted new comedies starring Michael J. Fox and Sean Hayes, NBC stars of yesteryear. Seems awfully safe.

Hennes81

[45]May 14, 2013
    • level: 6

With Bill leaving a new Stefon skit isn't hard to predict.
    Would also love to see a last skit with Greg (who is not an alien).

If Fred and/or Jason additionally decide to leave this week it might become hard to include all big characters of them in the last show.

Maybe Ben can settle his problems with Frondi...

Edited on 05/14/2013 8:44am

TheDiamondDog

[46]May 14, 2013
    • level: 61

Wait. Bill's leaving? He was the reason I still watched. Perhaps I can stop watching next season.

HelloStuart

[47]May 14, 2013
    • level: 63
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Wait. Bill's leaving? He was the reason I still watched. Perhaps I can stop watching next season.

The news broke this morning. Also, you give up too easily.