Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Ben Stiller/Foster The People (10/8/11)

JustinRAn

[41]Oct 8, 2011
    • level: 12
    Odd how there has been no mention of Steve Jobs this episode? You'd think that would be News-worthy.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

avmon

[42]Oct 8, 2011
    • level: 17
    I'm enjoying both sets of Foster the People.

avmon

[43]Oct 8, 2011
    avmon wrote:
    I'm enjoying both sets of Foster the People.
    Kenny G. is in the band!

mrjimmyjames

[44]Oct 8, 2011
    • level: 7

Was that Kenny G?

danharr

[45]Oct 8, 2011
    • level: 45

Yeah foster for the people did great wonderful performance.

avmon

[47]Oct 8, 2011
    avmon wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    AWESOME!!!! FOX and Friends!!!! WooHoo!!!!
    Did one of those "corrections" that were scroling pretty fast say, "Vermont is still a state"?
    Okay, it actually says "Vermont still exists" also "Pocahontas was not named after a stripper" and "Mary Magdalene was not eaten by a dinosaur".

khidaka1

[48]Oct 8, 2011
    • level: 2

I don't know why I even bothered to watch Ben Stiller tonight on Saturday Night Live. It had to be the weakestepisode of the season. But, I'm kind of glad I stuck around long enough to watch Ben Stiller stink up the joint the way he did.

Can't wait Anna Faris hosts next week.

JustinRAn

[49]Oct 9, 2011
    Liked
    - FOX and Friends
    - Columbus Day Assblast

HATED!!!
    - Kristen Wiig's Update Bit
    - Shawna (END IT, Nobody clapped when she appeared!!)
    - Lincoln Bank Thing 1-2
    - Digital Short

SURPRISE PEOPLE: Eddie Murphy was NOT on the Show

83optics

[50]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 6

learned:

* the second lincoln financial skit: that voice was hilarious, i'd be all over myself wanting to do me in that voice, too

* favorite digital short v-neck: the negative

* after the musical guest, i have a sudden urge to buy shoes

* oh, THAT's what stefon did on his summer vacation: epic team-up!

* tinyballs: perfect trailer, but please, let's not make this into an actual full-length feature movie...

Woodstein

[51]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 14
    I thought last night was going to be a rerun for some reason, so I missed the cold open and the monologue. From what I did see, it felt like a step down from the last two shows. Stiller didn't appear much, and when he did there was a going-through-the-motions feel to his performances. The over-reliance on recurring bits was especially a disappointment after two episodes which used them sparingly, even if I'm not yet tired of Stefon or the Under-Underground ads.

As for what was good, I liked the Fox & Friends sketch (did anyone catch all of the corrections at the end?), and the Digital Short was okay-ish, even if it was a pale shadow of the best ones. Foster the People gave a good performance as well.

I have higher hopes for next week's show. Although the show's cast and crew were completely burnt out when they tried four consecutive episodes in the very first season, most of the fourth consecutive shows in recent years have been pretty good (Jonah Hill's show from Year 33 and Anne Hathaway's first show from Year 34 come to mind).

TheDiamondDog

[53]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 61

I actually greatly enjoyed the episode last night. I laughed, which I hadn't done for the past 2 episodes. It was quite enjoyable. I'm not a fan of FTP, but they weren't bad.

JustinRAn

[54]Oct 9, 2011
    3 Sketches I Wish They Did:

- The Apple group has to think of the next new "Thing" to do, due to the passing of Steve Jobs
    - Sarah Palin (Tina Fey) answers questions about not running in 2012
    - Ben Stiller, Eddie Murphy (Jay P), Casey Affleck (TK), Alan Alda (Bill H), Matthew Broderick (JS), Gabourey Sidibe (KT), Tea Leoni (Vanessa B), Michael Pena (Fred A) are all interviewed by Andy Samberg on the latest installment of "Actor II Actor"

HelloStuart

[55]Oct 9, 2011
    • level: 63
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Odd how there has been no mention of Steve Jobs this episode? You'd think that would be newsworthy.

Some things just don't lend themselves well to satire. I cringed a little when kept seeing "iPancreas" jokes on my Facebook news feed last week.

HelloStuart

[56]Oct 9, 2011

My thoughts:

+ I don't blame New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie for wanting to stay out of the madhouse that is the 2012 GOP presidential primary. In a race that's already crowded with sound byte-friendly reactionaries and far-right thrillseekers, Christie would merely add to the fire than quench it. Luckily, the race has a levelheaded moderate like Mitt Romney, even though he's devoid of personality and is by no means a sure shot for the nomination. Tonight's cold open gave us a look at what might've been, as the party's conservative core sit shiva for Christie while Romney gives it the ol' college try.

+ Did the reprise of "Best of Both Worlds" exist only to give Hugh Jackman an opportunity to size up Andy's impression of the multifaceted Aussie? Considering how the initial sketch stopped just shy of being DOA on-air last season, I assume yes.

+ When was the last time a cast member sang with the house band going into commercial break? I know it's been a few years...

+ "Pumped-Up Kicks" is a pretty catchy tune in spite of those oddly violent lyrics, though the live workout of the song really saturated the bass. Will the SNL sound mixing department ever have a good week?

+ As obvious as it might've been, Derek Zoolander joining forces with Stefon was a can't-miss opportunity. Bill did a better job of maintaining his composure this time around, though I doubt that's the last of his ecstasy-drenched "hottest new club" chutzpah.

+ In my lifetime, I have cried upon hearing the death of a famous person three times: Phil Hartman, Mister Rogers, and A** Dan. Too soon, Under-Underground Records. Too soon!

+ Last year I had the opportunity to watch the entire run of Ben Stiller's short-lived sketch-comedy series from the early '90s, and I couldn't help but notice some similarities between the characters Stiller played tonight and some recurring bits from TBSS' 13-episode run. The flack man for Hank Williams Jr. in "Fox & Friends" bore more than a resemblance to C-list "superagent" Michael Pheret, the boss in the "Shanna's Halloween" sketch was like a subdued Tom Cruise impression, and of course there was Bruce Springsteen. Glad to see Ben is still writing and collaborating on fresh and original material.

+ Where in the hell did Kenny G come from?

+ "Tinyballs," while mildly predictable, does make a valid point: why does the Brad Pitt/Jonah Hill vehicle "Moneyball" completely avoid the steroid controversy that dogged the national pasttime for much of the past decade? Don't pretend the Oakland A's were clear of "The Clear."

+ After two shows where the featured players and the more unsung repertory cast members carried sketches, Stiller/Foster felt exactly like a Year 36 show. With rumors of cast departures simmering, whether that is considered normal is debatable; Kristen, Andy, Bill, and Suds carried sketches with the usual workmanlike tenacity that they've demonstrated for six-plus years now, but for how long? (What can I say, I'm inquisitive this week.) All in all, I'd give this show a 6; like the majority of last season, some scattered highlights, a few bald spots, dilligent but hardly exceptional.

JustinRAn

[57]Oct 9, 2011
    2 Questions:

What'll get cut and what'd you think of Shawna/Shauna returning (without an applause)?

Woodstein

[58]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 14
    After the success of Bridesmaids, I was hoping that the writers would at least give Kristen better roles, but Saturday's show lowered my hopes of that, by bringing back a one-note character and introducing another one-note character on WU.

mrjimmyjames

[59]Oct 10, 2011
    • level: 7

Woodstein wrote:
    After the success of Bridesmaids, I was hoping that the writers would at least give Kristen better roles, but Saturday's show lowered my hopes of that, by bringing back a one-note character and introducing another one-note character on WU.

I think we will probably see many more of her regular characters like Shanna (correct sp?) or even some of her now retired ones like Gilly considering thatthis isobviously Wiig's last go around. I didn't mind Shanna but her WU character was just terrible and should never have been done. I also think that since last season the producers have been trying to tone down her presence on the show because of the reaction to season 35 (when she practically took over the entire show) and I'm glad they did. There's no doubt that she's very talented butseason 35showed just how polarizing she could be. Sometimes too much is too much.

JustinRAn

[60]Oct 11, 2011
    Wait, Kristen Wiig has been on the show 7 years and you're now noticing that she does 1-note bits?

Yes... Kristen Wiig should be given funny material since she was in Bridesmaids.

Yes, In a movie where she plays an annoying, unlikeable character that annoys people she just met, bothers people on a plane, and mugs for the camera by telling sex/bathroom jokes and running jokes into the ground. She should be given material. How the movie made nearly 300 million is beyond me.

I want her to go the Tim Meadows way and play the straight-roles for the rest of the season. LORNE LET OTHER WOMEN GET LAUGHS!!!

HelloStuart

[61]Oct 12, 2011
    JustinRAn wrote:
    2 Questions:

What'll get cut and what'd you think of Shawna/Shauna returning (without an applause)?

1. Wiigy's party planner commentary, Springsteen, "Tinyballs," and the second song.

2. The lack of applause in any sketch (recurring or not) is not always an indicator of whether it'll appear again. Personally, I've never been that fond of ecstatic audience reactions in mid-sketch; it's not that Shauna deserved one, but still...

stellarchick86

[62]Oct 14, 2011
    • level: 32
    Just my .02 on this season as a whole so far is that I really like it a lot. Last year, sans the finale, I wasnt really feeling it and there were too many recurring bits (namely ones with Wiig in them). Im glad that they are bringing out new things and shes taking more of a backseat. That is all.