Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Charles Barkley/Kelly Clarkson (1/7/12)

Ruckhappy

[21]Dec 21, 2011
    • level: 8

drudager wrote:

I read online today that the SNL producers actually want Tebow. Man, they have no shame. Anything for a ratings boost.

In the article I read the "SNL source" claiming to want Tebow on the show was anonymous, and it was just some celeb cyber-rag. It's possible that Tebow's publicists planted the story. It wouldn't be the first time some celebrity campaigned to get on the show by planting rumors that they might host.

As you say, it would be strange of SNL to have him host since he's had a mediocre season--and career so far--as Denver's QB. They'd be inviting him only because he's outspoken about his faith, which could be a little dicey.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[22]Dec 22, 2011
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Going back to the late '70s, yeah. She hosted three times between Years 5 and 11 and was largely unremarkable each time.

They brought her back multiple times for the same reason they did Madeleine Kahn: she was a vavoom sex symbol who had also proved herself a gifted comic actress in films. Young pups like Stu don't remember the days when Garr, Kahn and, yes, Candy Bergen were the Anne Hathaways of the time. Unfortunately, Garr and Kahn never seemed to click on SNL.

Back to the topic, why are they dragging Barkley back again? His playing days are long gone and he has been only an average "athlete host" at best. Why not bring back Peyton Manning? Sure he's been hurt this season and the Colts are in the tank; at least he was a funny host. Why not wait and go for Aaron Rogers, who seems like a loose and maybe funny guy?

And just to squelch this horrible rumor: NO TEBOW, NO TEBOW, NO TEBOW! I swear to dog I'll burn down the Vatican if Tebow hosts.

1. Tebow isn't Catholic; far as I can tell, he's Baptist.

2. There was no athlete-host last season, which may account for the slight uptick in general quality from Year 35.

drudager

[23]Dec 24, 2011
    • level: 13
    Ruckhappy wrote:

And just to squelch this horrible rumor: NO TEBOW, NO TEBOW, NO TEBOW! I swear to dog I'll burn down the Vatican if Tebow hosts.

"Bills pick off Tebow 4 times, beat Broncos 40-14

Rather than inspiring the Denver Broncos to another dramatic rally, the quarterback sealed the most dreadful performance of his two-year career by throwing four interceptions-all in the second half and two returned for touchdowns 18 seconds apart-in a 40-14 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Saturday."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20111224002#mwpphu-container

Well that should shut up & stop the Tebow train. Against a horse**** Bills team that had lost 7 in a row and was playing for nothing. Absolutely terrible performance. Now we can all move on and pretend these rumors never happened. **hums AC/DC's Hell's Bells**

JM5000

[24]Dec 24, 2011
    • level: 7

drudager wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

"Bills pick off Tebow 4 times, beat Broncos 40-14 Rather than inspiring the Denver Broncos to another dramatic rally, the quarterback sealed the most dreadful performance of his two-year career by throwing four interceptions-all in the second half and two returned for touchdowns 18 seconds apart-in a 40-14 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Saturday." http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20111224002#mwpphu-container Well that should shut up & stop the Tebow train. Against a horse**** Bills team that had lost 7 in a row and was playing for nothing. Absolutely terrible performance. Now we can all move on and pretend these rumors never happened. **hums AC/DC's Hell's Bells**

Sheesh, people, it was just a thought I wrote aloud...Anyway, SNL should avoid bringing in any more athlete hosts, INCLUDING Barkley. They're just a waste of space in the 22-episode line-up. There are just SO MANY people who deserve to host and they concentrate on those who are questionable, bland or just overused.

stellarchick86

[25]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 32
    I dont remember his first hosting stunt but I wasnt that impressed with his last one. I will still hold out hope though....

HelloStuart

[26]Dec 27, 2011
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I dont remember his first hosting stunt but I wasnt that impressed with his last one. I will still hold out hope though....

Chuck's first stint was in Year 19. At one point, the Round Mound of Rebound held the SNL record for the longest period of time between first and second hosting stints (now held by Jeff Bridges).

JM5000

[27]Dec 29, 2011

HelloStuart wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Chuck's first stint was in Year 19. At one point, the Round Mound of Rebound held the SNL record for the longest period of time between first and second hosting stints (now held by Jeff Bridges).

No, that was Sigourney Weaver. And from what I recall, she beat out someone else who had a bigger gap than Barkley.

HelloStuart

[28]Dec 30, 2011
    JM5000 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

No, that was Sigourney Weaver. And from what I recall, she beat out someone else who had a bigger gap than Barkley.

Upon doing some research, you're right. It was Drew Barrymore (16 years, 4 months), Barkley came close (16 years, 3.5 months), to Weaver (23 years, 4 months) to Bridges (27 years, 9 months). Of course, the record is semi-disputed now because of Elton John (28 years, 11.5 months) and his half-awake partner in crime Leon Russell (35 years), but they were musical guests the first time around.

Woodstein

[29]Dec 30, 2011
    • level: 14
    Wasn't there an 18-year or so gap between Madeline Khan's second hosting stint and her third hosting stint in year 21?

JM5000

[30]Dec 30, 2011

HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:

Upon doing some research, you're right. It was Drew Barrymore (16 years, 4 months), Barkley came close (16 years, 3.5 months), to Weaver (23 years, 4 months) to Bridges (27 years, 9 months). Of course, the record is semi-disputed now because of Elton John (28 years, 11.5 months) and his half-awake partner in crime Leon Russell (35 years), but they were musical guests the first time around.

Don't think Leon Russell really counts since he was more of a guest performer than an actual musical guest (especially since he mumbled his way through both songs...Of course, he wasn't like this in 76.)

HelloStuart

[31]Dec 31, 2011
    Woodstein wrote:
    Wasn't there an 18-year or so gap between Madeline Khan's second hosting stint and her third hosting stint in year 21?

I was only counting first and second appearances, Kahn definitely holds that particular (albeit unofficial) record.

thecomedianky

[32]Jan 2, 2012
    • level: 19
    just a friendly reminder: NBC has Saturday Night Football, which is very likely to go after 11:30 and your late local news also has to air. Chances are the show does not start til after midnight.

HelloStuart

[33]Jan 2, 2012
    thecomedianky wrote:
    just a friendly reminder: NBC has Saturday Night Football, which is very likely to go after 11:30 and your late local news also has to air. Chances are the show does not start til after midnight.

That's 10:30 and 11p for those of you in the flyover states. I already set my DVR for an extra 30 minutes. Shades of 2010, eh?

HelloStuart

[34]Jan 4, 2012

Here's the Tuesday promos... Sir Charles.

I just realized that this is the first time in SNL history that a live show has aired on the first Saturday of January.

Edited on 01/04/2012 2:54pm

TheDiamondDog

[35]Jan 5, 2012
    • level: 61

HelloStuart wrote:

Here's the Tuesday promos... Sir Charles.

I just realized that this is the first time in SNL history that a live show has aired on the first Saturday of January.

I was thinking that they had a very short break over the holidays, only 2 weeks.

thecomedianky

[36]Jan 6, 2012
    • level: 19
    I dont think Sir Charles will do a good job considering that he was doing his TNT obligations for the NBA the other day.

If they wanted him to host, they should have had him hosting before the NBA season started!

HelloStuart

[37]Jan 6, 2012
    thecomedianky wrote:
    I dont think Sir Charles will do a good job considering that he was doing his TNT obligations for the NBA the other day.

If they wanted him to host, they should have had him hosting before the NBA season started!

You mean, when there was a lockout and no hoops to promote?

warqueen

[38]Jan 7, 2012
    • level: 5

Well judging from thehalftime dress rehersal preview,it looks like there will be a TNT-NBA skit with Charles playing Shaquille O'Neal and Keenan playing Charles. I also think the odds are high that the show wont start until after midnight due to the football game.

warqueen

[38]Jan 7, 2012

Well judging from thehalftime dress rehersal preview,it looks like there will be a TNT-NBA skit with Charles playing Shaquille O'Neal and Keenan playing Charles. I also think the odds are high that the show wont start until after midnight due to the football game.

warqueen

[39]Jan 7, 2012