Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Christoph Waltz/Alabama Shakes (2/16/13)

thecomedianky

[23]Feb 16, 2013
    • level: 19
    Doing a great job of making up for last week. Interesting trailer...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[24]Feb 16, 2013
    • level: 45

Jamarcus brothers okay they went low and cheap. Throw a white guy into the mix and lets all laugh but it was effective I'll give them that.

danharr

[25]Feb 16, 2013

Damn that was a good musical performance.

jcav422

[26]Feb 16, 2013
    • level: 2
    I know, so good. They might be the best musical guest with just that performance this season so far, along with Mumford & Sons and Sir Paul

danharr

[27]Feb 16, 2013

WU was good Regine was odd fun as usual watching the cast try to keep a straight face.

danharr

[28]Feb 16, 2013

Fox news parody was great it captured fox news perfectly.

danharr

[29]Feb 16, 2013

Another great performance not my type of music but talent trumps all in my world and I'm sure I need these real musicians in my collection.

danharr

[30]Feb 16, 2013

Nice last bit the night ended well at least really wish Waltz would've done a kill all the white people joke as part of the false controversy around Jamie Fox.

Ruckhappy

[31]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 9

Poor Cristoph, he's gonna be so unappreciated for his performance, coming after Bieber. If the writing and direction had been a hair better here and there, uff. Oh man. He was so precise in how he played what he was given, and yet he was not impossibly Germanic. He's Vienesse, not Prussian. He knows how to play comedy, and he knows how to play comedy in American-English, although juuuuust a smidge off, working live. But he was funny. He's going to be slammed, and those that don't slam him will slight him. That is such a shame. He wasn't even half a beat off. More like a tick. A tick off in timing, and otherwise did everything he could with his lines.

Not a bad show overall, for an episode of SNL that was clearly cobbled together, mostly, without benefit of professional writers. And then there was how Update went. Maybe I'm imaging things--could well be--but didn't Seth seem a little vague with his soft consonants? Just a trifle more insouciant than usual, or funny? Then he walked all over Kate's cues for her segment. Like half a beat ahead. She hadn't even finished the line a few time before he launched into his response. Terrible technique, and such a louche canard of what Update should be as the show sorts itself out apres deluge. Why let the undead fuck up the work of the living?

83optics

[32]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 6

learned:

* it's been a depressing week, I need a vacation, maybe a cruise...

* what have I become?......................a tv.com writer.

* Alabama Shakes: now that is the pick-me-up I needed!

* between the Fox News and that red cleavage dress, I stopped thinking and just *stared*.

* stalkers now use the peanuts inside the Cracker Jack box rather than the plastic ring...

JosephCecil

[33]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 1

The real Gretchen doesn't have cleavage near that distracting, but the F&F skit is always a winner clearly on the strength of its "corrections" at the end and the few "Brian Kilmead is mentally handicapped" bits. "My favorite "P" is 'pisghetti!"

I don't think the Djesus Uncrossed was perfect, but I'll take any reason for more of Taran's Brad Pitt.

I LOVED Kate's Russian "girl" but it was probably a one-off character. Shame, as I was dying during it. "You know what's in my window? Wolf head!"

TheDiamondDog

[35]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 61

I enjoyed the Djesus movie trailer. I only want to pronounce Romans as "Row-mans." And I quite enjoyed the Damarcus Brothers skit. Powerful musical performances from Alabama Shakes, though it is not my style. I hear them on the radio, and oddly enough, I thought it was a dude singing.

JM5000

[37]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 8

rishabhpb wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I enjoyed the Djesus movie trailer. I only want to pronounce Romans as "Row-mans." And I quite enjoyed the Damarcus Brothers skit. Powerful musical performances from Alabama Shakes, though it is not my style. I hear them on the radio, and oddly enough, I thought it was a dude singing.

I was watching and I thought, "that dude looks kinda feminine with the hair. Oh, that's nailpolish OH THAT'S A WOMAN. Great pipes."

I gotta admit, I wasn't sure how the singer would do live. Listening to the song, it sounded like the type of voice that was edited a little bit to sound better than it really is (like the lead singer of Passion Pit). But to my pleasant surprise, not only was she a legitimately good singer, she actually sounded twice as good as in the song track. In my opinion, Alabama Shakes is the best musical guest so far this season (though I also enjoyed Bruno Mars, Ne-Yo, Paul McCartney and the Lumineers).

HelloStuart

[38]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 63
    My thoughts:

+ I don't think I realized how bad the Carnival Triumph crisis was until after the cruise ship docked late last week. With that said, tonight's cold opening was a home run; Suds and Cece were pitch-perfect as the chipper cruise directors, and not a single detail of this modern day "Voyage of the Damned" was spared or unscathed.

+ Those were some pretty bad audio and video gaffes at the beginning of the "What Have You Become?" sketch. Considering its prominent position in the show (i.e. the first sketch after the monologue) that is just downright embarrassing. One must hope it was corrected for the west coast tape delay.

+ In a weird way, I sympathize with Tiffy. If I had a nickel for every time I unwittingly barged in mid-conversation at a party...

+ "Djesus Uncrossed" made me laugh, but holy moly, the producers should be anticipating quite a bit of hate mail.

+ Jokes aside, if there's three Weekend Update commentaries that click, you can call it a good night at the desk. Taran's Marco Rubio impression was a marvel of physical comedy, and Jay's Stephen A. Smith was a brutal deconstruction of ESPN's most annoying analyst. However, I was floored by Kate as the Russian meteor survivor. As a cutting send-up of Eastern European malaise, McKinnon committed the living $*** out of the part and had the audience eating out of her hand.

+ It's clear that Fred loves to play Regine, and her antisocial schtick seems to mesh well with foreign-born hosts, but that sketch flew like a lead balloon.

+ Simply put, Brittany Howard is a powerhouse. Alabama Shakes is a band through and through, but there's little questioning where at least 90% of the group's starpower is generated. Their rendition of "Hold On" --the same song they played on their TV debut over a year ago, on "Conan"-- was a slow, bluesy jam with teeth, carried by Howard's feisty growl. In comparison "Always Alright" is a uptempo, honky tonk boogie where Howard lobs and serves with a tight backing band.

+ The end result was still a hodgepodge, but this turned out to be the first show I liked since Short/McCartney. Waltz's Teutonic lineage was both a benefit and a hindrance to the show, as 75% of his roles were weird Austrians. (The other 25% were religious figures.) Christoph was having fun and it showed, though at times he was overshadowed by some of the show's younger talent, i.e. every post-2009 cast addition. He least he wasn't a pushover.

6.5/10

avmon

[39]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 17
    Cruise disaster Cold Open was great. Tiffy reminds me of my high school self. Loved both Alabama Shakes sets. Yeah, the Marco Rubio bit was HILARIOUS! So were all the "corrections" on the Fox & Friends sketch. Hader really can't keep a straight face in front of Fred's Regine, can he? Christoph Waltz is one of the best guest hosts of this season. Oh, by the way, anyone know who announced the host and musical guest after Don Pardo's taped announcements concerning the cast?

jcav422

[40]Feb 17, 2013
    • level: 2
    The show wasn't too bad, it was ok. I really liked Papal Securities, Djesus Uncrossed, Regine, and Fox & Friends. The show had an odd structure. If you ask me, Fox & Friends would've worked better as a cold open. The cold open with the cruise felt like a 10-to-1 to me. The gameshow should've been placed in the second half, and Fox should've been first sketch after the monologue if not the cold open. Also, Fred's part in Fox & Friends could've easily been portrayed by Waltz. The host and MG for 3/2 disappoint me. I'm feeling another Foxx/Ne-Yo

Ruckhappy

[41]Feb 18, 2013
    • level: 9

HelloStuart wrote:
    One must hope it was corrected for the west coast tape delay.

Nah, the game show logo came up silent on the West Coast feed as well. But Kenan did some of his best acting in that sketch. Bill as well. But why the hell couldn't they get Kate into age makeup that would have sold her character better?

Hennes81

[42]Feb 18, 2013
    • level: 6

avmon wrote:
    Oh, by the way, anyone know who announced the host and musical guest after Don Pardo's taped announcements concerning the cast?

It was Bill who tried to sound like Don Pardo.

HelloStuart

[43]Feb 19, 2013
    • level: 63
    Hennes81 wrote:

avmon wrote:
    Oh, by the way, anyone know who announced the host and musical guest after Don Pardo's taped announcements concerning the cast?

Pardo turns 95 (!) on Friday. You can't blame him for slowing down.

JM5000

[44]Feb 19, 2013
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:
    Hennes81 wrote:

avmon wrote:

Pardo turns 95 (!) on Friday. You can't blame him for slowing down.

I wonder if this is it for the guy...I'm kinda hoping he at least holds up for the rest of the season...I mean, I've been waiting for them to find a replacement announcer so that he could live the last few years of his life in peace, but at the same time, it would be pretty ridiculous if the very last announcement of the greatest announcer of all time was, "Ladies and gentlemen, Justin Bieber!"