Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Drake (01/18/14)

avmon

[61]Jan 18, 2014
    • level: 17
    Oh, good, it's "Mornin' Miami"!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

avmon

[62]Jan 18, 2014
    That "promo" I just mentioned was probably not as funny as when Miley hosted but I still laughed at some parts!

danharr

[63]Jan 18, 2014
    • level: 45

Mornin Miami missed the end of the night horrible skit curse not great but not bad either.

avmon

[64]Jan 18, 2014
    Short film "I Know" was a good way to end show...

danharr

[65]Jan 18, 2014
    • level: 45

Not sure what to make of ghost sketch oh well it was still a good night all around.

Ruckhappy

[66]Jan 18, 2014
    • level: 9

That was a deliriously weird 10-to-1 short. I don't care if the Bennett & Mooney shorts are funny, I just want 'em in the show for the bizarro factor.

Royce7815

[67]Jan 19, 2014
    • level: 4

Sooo facebook's SNL page did a serious turn around within the few hours the show was on. it went from serious unnecessary hate all week to "This is the best show of the season" whatever haters as Aidy said. Starting the show off with Piers Morgan always a good way to talk about different subjects at once even if they are completely different from each other.

Drake's monologue gave Sasheer her first chance in the spotlight but the sketch kinda went left during Drake's rap, mainly because they were trying to get the point across of it being 1999 and then he goes and makes references to Lebron James, Kim and Kanye I get that it worked for the rap i'm just kind of a stickler for accuracy when it comes to period pieces even when it's for comedic purposes lol.

The Before they were Stars sketch was really good I like how when someone can't really do an impression of a celebrity they usually just have them dressed up as the person and make noises such as Aidy did with her Adele and Rebel Wilson and Sasheer as Rhi Rhi. I could slightly hear her in the background singing a few notes.

Perfect take of Jacqueline Bisset's Long walk to the stage incident at the Golden Globes. I was thinking this was going to be Seth's last show but maybe the McCarthy episode is.

And they decide to bring back two sketches from the Miley episode. Did O'brian break a little in the ending of the Poetry Class sketch i couldn't tell?

They don't usually acknowledge new featured players at the end of the show but obviously they had to with Sasheer I just know I'm not the only one who wishes they would have done it in a sketch or update piece though.

Edited on 01/19/2014 12:04am

Ruckhappy

[68]Jan 19, 2014

Royce7815 wrote:
    Did O'brian break a little in the ending of the Poetry Class sketch i couldn't tell?

O'Brien corpsed quite noticeably on his last line in that sketch. Not a good sign for his future, I suspect.

JM5000

[69]Jan 19, 2014
    • level: 8

I had a feeling Drake would do better than everyone was saying he would...That said, even MY expectations were surpassed!

Drake took Gaga's ability to melt into any role given to her and multiplied it by ten! The way he perfectly portrayed characters like the nerdy father and the amusement park showman made him a very engaging host, as almost all his characters were very...human...but still had the right elements to draw out some laughs...

And while there were a couple "black people" sketches like I expected, he also proved that he can pass as a white guy as well, mostly thanks to his skin being lighter in color due to his half-Jewish heritage...

In my opinion, he's the best host so far this season, and this overall was the best show...Aside from the Tina Fey show, none of them were all that great up until now...

As for his musical performances...well...they were okay, he projected his voice perfectly fine and everything, but the tinted lights were a little distracting, and so was his little quote about Lorne at the end of his second performance...Better than Eminem, Katy Perry or One Direction, but still not nearly as innovative as his unique sets from his last appearance...

But overall, this was a good show!

Edited on 01/19/2014 6:18pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Hennes81

[70]Jan 20, 2014
    • level: 6

Even though the show had flaws, it was very entertaining. Drake seemed to be really comfortable as host and we can expect him coming back in two years (or earlier).

I also liked how they managed to use the female cast members. Every women had at least one leading role (maybe except Sasheer but she got good spots for her first show) and every live skit had one leading women.
    Not long ago some of you (I don't know who exactly) argued, there shouldn't be more than 5 women in the cast. Now there were 7 and it worked out good.

On the other hand the new male talents are underused at best. All of them have one leading role every two shows - currently no one had a breakthrough moment (even though every one had a funny bit every two or three shows). And now even Noel got the Nancy Grace impression while O'Brien and Bennet (?) are playing extras in the theme park skit.

If they remain to use the women that frequently, it might be a reason to lose some men after this season and perform with an cast which has (almost) the same number of both genders.

benjaminlebar

[71]Jan 21, 2014
    • level: 1

Hennes81 wrote:

Even though the show had flaws, it was very entertaining. Drake seemed to be really comfortable as host and we can expect him coming back in two years (or earlier).

I also liked how they managed to use the female cast members. Every women had at least one leading role (maybe except Sasheer but she got good spots for her first show) and every live skit had one leading women.
    Not long ago some of you (I don't know who exactly) argued, there shouldn't be more than 5 women in the cast. Now there were 7 and it worked out good.

On the other hand the new male talents are underused at best. All of them have one leading role every two shows - currently no one had a breakthrough moment (even though every one had a funny bit every two or three shows). And now even Noel got the Nancy Grace impression while O'Brien and Bennet (?) are playing extras in the theme park skit.

If they remain to use the women that frequently, it might be a reason to lose some men after this season and perform with an cast which has (almost) the same number of both genders.

I feel Noel's Nancy Grace was satisfactory. Not as good as say, Amy Poehler's. I think she was trying too hard. Kinda like back on the Fallon ep when she was trying to do Allison Hannigan.

algetrig91

[72]Jan 21, 2014
    • level: 34
    I think Drake's committment to character in the Indiana Jones sketch was some best I've ever seen from a host. He's done enough to return on that sketch alone.

Ruckhappy

[73]Jan 21, 2014

algetrig91 wrote:
    I think Drake's committment to character in the Indiana Jones sketch was some best I've ever seen from a host. He's done enough to return on that sketch alone.
    Wasn't he good in that? If you scroll back I posted some rather disparaging comments about Drake's acting ability, and when that sketch wrapped I literally thought to myself, "Wow, he proved me wrong." One of the most poised and confident first-time hosts I've ever seen on SNL. Hardly caught him working off the cards. Great line readings. Yep, he's gonna be SNL's black Justin Timberlake, that kid.

mrjimmyjames

[74]Jan 21, 2014
    • level: 7

Kate McKinnon's Bieber impression had to be the highlight of the episode.

mrjimmyjames

[76]Jan 21, 2014

Ruckhappy wrote:

I have never seen anyone from SNL talk about a dip in the quality of the show in the mid-2000's on any of their retrospective documentaries. The only people I've heard make that claim are a handful of kibbitzers on SNL forums, and when challenged with the excellent, widely praised work that Maya, Rachel, Tina on Update and especially Amy did during 2004-2006, they respond, "Well, I never liked them anyway." Exactly. There was a "dip" in quality during that period only if you don't like women being funny on SNL.

Besides, the timeline of when you're placing the "dip" is contradictory. Fred was still new to the show at the time. He was hardly played out when Sanz was cut. You're trying to juggle cast timelines to create a window of mediocrity that didn't exist.

Lorne, as far as we know, had no way of knowing that Maya would not come back from her pregnancy leave and continue on SNL. Molly and Cheri (unwisely) were determined to leave to pursue new opportunities. Maya's forays into film had not been very successful and she loved doing SNL, so there was no reason to think that she'd chuck it in order to be a stay at home mom and whelp out a couple more kids. Lorne would have known that Amy was possibly leaving since Parks was in development at NBC, but he wouldn't have known for sure until the show was picked up. He had three new women in the cast during Amy's last season, which was about the best he could do given the 2006 budget cut and the uncertainty factor of two pregnancy leaves.

The documentary was called Time and Again: Saturday Night Live in the 2000s. As i said before, IMO Darrell, Rachel, Maya, and Horatio were all out of gas, Seth, Fred, and Will were still finding their groove and were unable to replace Ferrell and Chris, and the writing on the show was down (a big downturn in which many writers were replaced in season 31 and eventually this led to Seth being promoted as one of the head writers at mid season). It is unfortunate that you are unable to simply learn to respectfully disagree and have to resort to mud slinging to shut down conversation. Especially considering one of my favorite cast members is in fact Tina Fey (she's my favorite WU anchor and about the only blemish on her resume is the lagging writing on mid 00s Saturday Night Live). Not to mention I love the current cast, especially the recent additions of Cecily, Kate, and Ms. Bryant who have all been outstanding. I don't know why you needed to bring Amy into the conversation; I had no complaints about her. And I never said I don't like Rachel or Maya at all; I liked them before they ran out of gas. Once again, Maya's style of humor can be pretty polarizing and she can nauseate you as much as she can make you laugh (I'm allowed to my own opinion that she can be grating and best in small doses). It's unfortunate you need to resort to behavior like that but i understand, after all when people can't make coherent arguments they resort to that; it's sad but i do in fact understand. I'm sure that when (and I fully expect) when someone on this board criticizes a sketch that the newest cast member appears in, you'll be dying to call them a racist. At some point you clearly care more about coming off as more superior on tolerance than others (probably something to do with propping up your ego) than basing something on talent alone.

"Besides, the timeline of when you're placing the "dip" is contradictory. Fred was still new to the show at the time. He was hardly played out when Horatio was cut. You're trying to juggle cast timelines to create a window of mediocrity that didn't exist."

Yeah, no idea what you're referring to. Fred's comedy had to get more broad for him to catch on better with viewers (Gov. Patterson-New Jersey!) and Show Biz Explosion and the art dealers just confused people at the time (Of course in retrospect I now love those sketches but they were just so different at the time). And obviously Fred's hard to get (and polarizing); we even have a topic on the board called "Defend Fred" for this very reason.

The problem with your argument about the timeline of replacements is that they occurred after the budget crises. Sure, that could have been a factor. But i haven't seen any evidence of that so far.

mrjimmyjames

[77]Jan 21, 2014

It's true Drake may or may not have had the greatest resume going in to the episode but I think his performance proved that he was qualified to host.

Hennes81

[78]Jan 21, 2014
    • level: 6

benjaminlebar wrote:
    I feel Noel's Nancy Grace was satisfactory. Not as good as say, Amy Poehler's. I think she was trying too hard. Kinda like back on the Fallon ep when she was trying to do Allison Hannigan.

I had the same feeling with Noel, she's still looking for a role to shine in. But since she got a lot of small roles until now, she will get a second year to prove herself.

HelloStuart

[79]Jan 22, 2014
    • level: 63
    danharr wrote:

Universal Studios was good.

You mean Walt Disney World?

HelloStuart

[80]Jan 22, 2014
    • level: 63

For some reason TV.com won't let me post my full review (it's midseason, after all) so I posted it on my blog:

http://heystu.blogspot.com/2014/01/sketches-in-tuscan-leather-my-review-of.html