Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Drake (01/18/14)

Ruckhappy

[81]Jan 25, 2014
    • level: 9

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    At some point you clearly care more about coming off as more superior on tolerance than others (probably something to do with propping up your ego) than basing something on talent alone.

You can get your panties in a bunch if you like, but you're still just wrong on the facts. You can't make the timeline of a supposed "dip" in quality fit to match the cast progression of that decade, and you completely discredit your argument by asserting that the writing went downhill under Tina's reign a head writer and improved when Seth took over. The complete opposite is widely acknowledged to be true. Seth a better head writer than multiple-Emmy winning, Twain award-recipient, bestselling author Tina Fey? Your bias is showing.

What was said on that doco, as I recall, is that some of the cast talked about not being sure of how to fill the void when Will Ferrell left. Well, Will left in 2002, which is hardly the mid-2000's, and his absence was quickly ameliorated by the advent of Fred Armisen and Will Forte, plus Amy powering into her prime. So the cast didn't think there was a dip. Why would they? That was the height of the Grrrl Power SNL period.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mrjimmyjames

[82]Feb 6, 2014
    • level: 7

Ruckhappy wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    At some point you clearly care more about coming off as more superior on tolerance than others (probably something to do with propping up your ego) than basing something on talent alone.

You can get your panties in a bunch if you like, but you're still just wrong on the facts. You can't make the timeline of a supposed "dip" in quality fit to match the cast progression of that decade, and you completely discredit your argument by asserting that the writing went downhill under Tina's reign a head writer and improved when Seth took over. The complete opposite is widely acknowledged to be true. Seth a better head writer than multiple-Emmy winning, Twain award-recipient, bestselling author Tina Fey? Your bias is showing.

What was said on that doco, as I recall, is that some of the cast talked about not being sure of how to fill the void when Will Ferrell left. Well, Will left in 2002, which is hardly the mid-2000's, and his absence was quickly ameliorated by the advent of Fred Armisen and Will Forte, plus Amy powering into her prime. So the cast didn't think there was a dip. Why would they? That was the height of the Grrrl Power SNL period.

Yeah you can pretend that this is an argument about facts, but the opposite is true. You see, a conversation involves two people talking about a subject and being respectful toward each other during it. Unfortunately for you, you have a tendency to only respond to what you want to hear (egos tend to drive that) and yes, you can get upset and attempt to slander anyone who dares disagree with you. I realize you're upset and so desperately want to argue against something that only exists in your head. You're simply not even arguing against things i said; you imagine what you want to imagine. For instance, I never said Seth was a better head writer than Tina. I only dared criticize her last few years that weren't really successful (of course this doesn't include Weekend Update;she's the best anchor) and lead to a major behind the scenes writing upheaval on the show. In fact, I've always been a big fan of Tina Fey and couldn't stand Seth until he stopped appearing in sketches and confined himself only to Weekend Update. It is unfortunate that your inability to have a respectful conversation often leads you to slander anyone that doesn't see everything exactly the same way just so you can win some non existent argument. Maybe chill out for awhile and relax, okay?

As for what was said on the doco, it was talked about in the section concerning how Digital Shorts and the internet changed the show. I think they had interviewed Jimmy Fallon during it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.