Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Ed Helms/Paul Simon (5/14/11)

BaronOne

[42]May 15, 2011
    • level: 15

My thoughts

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thechosenonecj

[43]May 15, 2011
    • level: 7
    is it just me or was ed helms only on for about 15 minutes?

warqueen

[44]May 15, 2011
    • level: 6

thechosenonecj wrote:
    is it just me or was ed helms only on for about 15 minutes?
    Funny you should mention that, cause Entertainment Weekly raised that same point in a negative review of the Ed Helms episode (not to mention the major troll attack in the comments sections of the E.W. article).

'Saturday Night Live' recap: Ed Helms hosted -- or did he? http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/15/snl-ed-helms/

HelloStuart

[45]May 15, 2011
    • level: 63
    BaronOne wrote:

Ferrell was DEFINITELY not there. During the live-action portion,it was Jon Hamm and Jimmy Fallon as Ace and Gary, Steve Carell as Bighead, Stephen Colbert as Brainiac, Ed Helms as Two-Face, and Fred Armisen as Lizard Man. You can even read the credits at the end of the cartoon where it says the voices AND the people that were in it.

Thank you, Brendan. Hey Tony, what made you think that was Will Ferrell?

HelloStuart

[46]May 15, 2011

My thoughts:

+ Was the "Situation Room" cold opening with the self-congratulating, rambling President Obama supposed to be a parody of Charlie Sheen's ongoing "Torpedo of Truth" tour, or was it another pop culture reference that I'm missing out on?

+ Tonight's "What Up With That" felt oddly like a victory lap; I can only assume that Kenan is approaching the end of his SNL career, though we like won't know for sure until summer. Regardless, it had the aura of a swan song: we finally learned the names of the backup singers, Army's saxophonist, and the break-dancer; the real Lindsay Buckingham jammed with his silent imitator; and most importantly, Paul Simon called Deandre out for playing fast and loose with the show's supposed format. If this was the end, what a way to go!

+ When Robert Smigel stopped producing "TV Funhouse" midway through the shortened 2007-08 season, I merely assumed he had run of ideas and that the segment ran its course. I was partially wrong: this fleeting revival of "The Ambiguously Gay Duo" was a delight. I'll admit that the straight (i.e. animated) portion of the segment was okay, but once it morphed into live action -with Jimmy Fallon and Jon Hamm as Ace and Gary, plus an unconvincing snake puppet- it felt like somebody put a cinder block on the gas pedal.

+ Something that bothered me: for the third time this season, SNL was not "live" for a period of over ten minutes. In this case, between "What Up With That" and Paul Simon's first song, you had a 14-minute buffer of ads plus "TV Funhouse." Why have the producers become so lenient about this?

+ In the wake of last week's breathtaking "Woman Whole" sketch, the last 20 minutes of the show offered up arguably the single worst sketch of the season. "One-Take Tony" all but confirmed several theories about failed sketches: actors should know who they're impersonating or mimicking, give wacky characters some semblance of dimension, and if a cast member is not known for intense physical comedy, don't make him do it.

+ Give it up for Paul Simon. His two songs lacked everything that dogs pop music in this day and age: there was no cheesy overdubs, no auto-tune, nor any pointless theatrics. Everything that came out of the 70-year-old American icon and his eight-piece backing band sounded organic, fresh, and sincere. If only Ke$ha could take note…

+ Elliott Watch: zero sketches. Not even a taped or filmed piece. Her one voiceover line in the repeated "Corn Syrup Producers" ad spoof doesn't even count. This does not bode well…

+ For the second week in a row, a shoo-in host defers his responsibilities to a plethora of guest stars and gets lost in the process. On one hand, you need a certain level of conviction to twirl a baton in a unitard while a live band plays "Eye of the Tiger." On the other hand, you shouldn't hold off your first (or only) lead part in a sketch until the last five minutes of the night. The show itself was a 6.5; at time it felt lazy and half-hearted, but there were enough random moments to keep the show's head about the water.

BaronOne

[47]May 15, 2011
    • level: 15

HelloStuart wrote:

+ Was the "Situation Room" cold opening with the self-congratulating, rambling President Obama supposed to be a parody of Charlie Sheen's ongoing "Torpedo of Truth" tour, or was it another pop culture reference that I'm missing out on?

It seems to me like they weren't going for a straight parody of something, but rather just over-exaggerating Obama's confidence level to the point of absurdity.

avmon

[48]May 16, 2011
    • level: 16
    HelloStuart wrote:
    BaronOne wrote:

Ferrell was DEFINITELY not there. During the live-action portion,it was Jon Hamm and Jimmy Fallon as Ace and Gary, Steve Carell as Bighead, Stephen Colbert as Brainiac, Ed Helms as Two-Face, and Fred Armisen as Lizard Man. You can even read the credits at the end of the cartoon where it says the voices AND the people that were in it.

It was the voice coming out of Brainiac. Anyway, I stand corrected.

avmon

[49]May 16, 2011
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    BaronOne wrote:

Actually, it might have been Bighead since I didn't recognize Carell's voice there...

HelloStuart

[50]May 16, 2011
    avmon wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    BaronOne wrote:

Actually, it might have been Bighead since I didn't recognize Carell's voice there...

That was Smigel.

avmon

[52]May 16, 2011
    HelloStuart wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    BaronOne wrote:

That was Smigel.
    I'm guessing you meant the animated version when you mentioned that. I meant the live-action one.

HelloStuart

[53]May 17, 2011
    rishabhpb wrote:
    BaronOne wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

It seems to me like they weren't going for a straight parody of something, but rather just over-exaggerating Obama's confidence level to the point of absurdity.

Maybe it was just Armisen trying to spice up the usually dull Obama impression.

Though to be fair to Army, it's quite challenging to "animate" Obama.

drudager

[54]Aug 6, 2011
    • level: 13
    Anybody else watching this right now?

drudager

[55]Aug 7, 2011
    • level: 13
    Where was Ed?? :O

Ruckhappy

[56]Aug 12, 2011
    • level: 9
    Watching it again, why didn't they cast Abby in the Ann-Margaret sketch? Put her in the same wig, have somebody teach her how to dance like A-M and see how she does. She's got the figure to play A-M. Wiig doesn't.

I know that no one liked that sketch, but I did. You kind of have to be into cheesy 60's films to get the joke. All Ann-Margaret did in her films was shimmy and frug like that and walk around in bikinis.