Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Edward Norton/ Janelle Monae (10/26/13)

JustinRAn

[1]Oct 12, 2013
    • level: 12

This should be interesting. Another host with nothing to promote. Most recent thing he did was an episode of the Simpsons that aired in April.

Edited on 10/12/2013 9:09pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Oct 16, 2013
    • level: 63
    Monae's new album is getting a lot of critical buzz, though.

JM5000

[3]Oct 16, 2013
    • level: 8

Perhaps Norton will reveal why he's hosting in his monologue...Surely there's a reason...

As for Monae, I had a feeling we'd see her sooner or later this season...Her music really isn't half bad actually...

HelloStuart

[4]Oct 24, 2013
    • level: 63

Thursday promo time!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/snl-promo-edward-norton-and-janelle-monae/n42243/

Royce7815

[5]Oct 25, 2013
    • level: 4

To bad Kerry Washington isn't hosting this week, they could have did something to where Keenan comes to her during her monologue looking for help. Ah well maybe he'll do an update piece.

Ruckhappy

[6]Oct 25, 2013
    • level: 9
    Maybe they booked Norton because somebody else cancelled. Or they may have just wanted to reach back and pick a former host who they knew to be a strong sketch performer.

JustinRAn

[7]Oct 26, 2013
    • level: 12
    Ruckhappy wrote:
    Maybe they booked Norton because somebody else cancelled. Or they may have just wanted to reach back and pick a former host who they knew to be a strong sketch performer.

I don't know if his cameo on the Selma Hayek/Christina Aguilera episode or Stella makes him a strong sketch performer

I'm honestly starting to think the budget for hosts got cut so they could hire 6 new cast members.

Ruckhappy

[8]Oct 26, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    I'm honestly starting to think the budget for hosts got cut so they could hire 6 new cast members.

"Budget for hosts?" The hosts are essentially free to the show, barring what they spend on putting them up in a nice hotel, car service, etc. Of all the budgetary considerations per show, the cost of the host has to be way down near the bottom. They probably spend more on the afterparty than they do on the host.

JM5000

[9]Oct 26, 2013
    • level: 8

Ruckhappy wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

"Budget for hosts?" The hosts are essentially free to the show, barring what they spend on putting them up in a nice hotel, car service, etc. Of all the budgetary considerations per show, the cost of the host has to be way down near the bottom. They probably spend more on the afterparty than they do on the host.

Yeah, besides...I think the main reason some of these host choices seem so random is because there really aren't that many breakouts at this point...Kerry Washington may count for her show, and there may be a few other breakouts on TV as well...But mostly, there's not a whole lot to choose from at this point...There are a few possible returning hosts, like Tom Hanks, Will Ferrell and Neil Patrick Harris, but in the breakout star department, there aren't too many that are relevant at this time...(Give them a few months and I'm sure they'll find some...)

Episode Predictions (For the record, I tried doing this for the last two shows, but for some reason it won't let me copy and paste in my posts, which is stupid...I was kinda relying on a similar format each time, but I guess I better give it up...):

Cold Opening: We still seem dead-focused on the government shutdown...

Monologue: Maybe a "Fight Club" parody, featuring Taran's Brad Pitt impression?

Musical Performance 1: Hard to be sure since none of her songs made the charts, or even have their own Wikipedia page, but "Dance Apocalyptic" seems to be the song she's done the most with, plus it's the only one that doesn't feature another artist (those are usually saved for performance #2...Speaking of which...)

Musical Performance 2: Possibly "Q.U.E.E.N." featuring Erykah Badu, but "PrimeTime" featuring Miguel sounds more likely since it's the most recent...

That's about all I got...With a first-timer like Edward Norton, and seemingly nothing in U.S. or world news aside from the shutdown, it's hard to be sure about anything else...

avmon

[10]Oct 26, 2013
    • level: 16
    OMG! Alec Baldwin!

avmon

[11]Oct 26, 2013
    Miley Cyrus again?

danharr

[12]Oct 26, 2013
    • level: 45

Didn't care for the Obamacare opening and the monologue was okay till Cyrus showed up why the hell why?

danharr

[13]Oct 26, 2013

Pumpkin douche made me smile but wasn't enjoyable. The energy of the performance made this one but it was not funny low brow just low brow to me. Halloween candy was fun mostly due to Nasim's over the top performance.

avmon

[14]Oct 26, 2013
    I thought the opening about the Obamacare troubles was funny.

avmon

[15]Oct 26, 2013
    danharr wrote:

Pumpkin douche made me smile but wasn't enjoyable. The energy of the performance made this one but it was not funny low brow just low brow to me. Halloween candy was fun mostly due to Nasim's over the top performance.

Yeah, agreed about Nasim's performance.

danharr

[16]Oct 26, 2013

Steve Harvey show was good. Wes Anderson was good for those of you familiar with his work. Once again SNL does a hipster trendy bit to speak to a few people.

danharr

[17]Oct 26, 2013

So why were the exterminators southern okay the crazy over the top sketch came before the end of the show this time.

avmon

[18]Oct 26, 2013
    danharr wrote:

Steve Harvey show was good. Wes Anderson was good for those of you familiar with his work. Once again SNL does a hipster trendy bit to speak to a few people.

Liked both of those. The last one taking place in a meeting with a couple of exterminators dealing with a possum, however...

avmon

[19]Oct 26, 2013
    OMG! He sang "The Ladybugs Picnic" from "Seseme Street"!

Ruckhappy

[20]Oct 26, 2013

Did they seriously have Miley Cyrus and Baldwin do cameos? That so smacks of desperation and panic. There is absolutely no reason for them to resort to cameos so early in the season. Someone (*cough* Lorne *cough*) must not have faith in the new rooks, which is stupid because they've all been funny enough so far.