Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Eli Manning/Rihanna (05/05/12)

83optics

[44]May 6, 2012
    • level: 6

learned:

* so that's why my Siri keeps directing me to crocoduck.

* Eli's wife doin' some nice improv there!

* hmmm, it seems this year she wants to get a new washer/dryer. she's reading more.

* your boobs up? ;P ;P ;P ;P ;P ;P ;P ;P ;P kewl

* excuse me, Rihanna's caught in a cobweb. don't worry, this will only take five minutes...

* thigh toast > toast

Edited on 05/06/2012 7:35am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Woodstein

[46]May 6, 2012
    • level: 14
    If I had to pick a favorite sketch, it would probably be the murder trial one, although pretty much everything before Update amused me (even the return of Herb Welch didn't feel as stale as it should have). However, things tapered off in the last half hour, with "What is This?" and "Helga Lately" being only mildly amusing, the Drag Queen Pageant sketch falling flat even with the sight of Eli dressed up like a woman, and Rihanna's forgettable, over-choreographed second performance where she didn't seem to be singing a single word. Even then, I enjoyed the episode overall, and it's probably in my top five for the season so far.

TheDiamondDog

[47]May 6, 2012
    • level: 61

The show was okay. Had decent moments, but I started getting a bit bored. My favorite part was the Big Brother program, and when Eli said something like, "Take that Peyton!"

Rihanna is so very subtle in her performances, isn't she? One could barely decipher she is talking about sex.

Ruckhappy

[48]May 6, 2012
    • level: 9

I'm sorry, I meant that the Update segment was terrible--and it really was--not that this show was awful.

Eli is no Peyton, as hosts go, but he did fine.

avmon

[49]May 6, 2012
    • level: 17

My current hometown of Baton Rouge, LA, gets a shout out during "What is This?"! Considering Eli is from New Orleans which is a two hour drive from where I live, half of me wondered if that was a coincidence. That Swedish talk show on E got me gaffawing with the gibberish mixed with certain English words. Keenan especially seemed to have a good time during that! That court sketch with Eli making all those emoticon faces was also a hoot. I agree Seth wasn't as funny as before on "Weekend Update" though that bit with Kristen as a way tanned woman made it a bit more tolerable. Rhianna's performances were okay though the production values were pretty impressive. During that cold open, I slowed the DVR to read what those "corrections" were. I liked the one about "John Wilkes Booth was not wearing a hooded sweat shirt when he shot President Lincoln and the Lincolns' were not watching "The Vagina Monologues"! I think that's all I'll comment on...

Edited on 05/06/2012 2:59pm

stellarchick86

[50]May 6, 2012
    • level: 32
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Rihanna is so very subtle in her performances, isn't she? One could barely decipher she is talking about sex.

Lol I know right??

HelloStuart

[51]May 7, 2012
    • level: 63
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Lol I know right??

One would say the same thing about "Helga Lately."

HelloStuart

[52]May 7, 2012
    warqueen wrote:

I currently not watching the episode as I am recording it, but I thought I would raise the spectre of asking if the show would in someway give a brief tribute for the Beastie Boys in acknowledgement of the passing of Adam Yauch??

Yes, immediately after Update. They showed ten seconds of MCA et al. performing "Sure Shot" from Year 20.

BaronOne

[53]May 7, 2012
    • level: 15

Here's my take:

http://hotoffpress.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/snl-manning-rihanna/

HelloStuart

[54]May 7, 2012

My thoughts, part one:

+ On a show where sketches are historically and inherently hit and miss, SNL's stabs at topical humor in recent years have been especially inconsistent. Tonight that was not the case, preeminently in the first fifteen minutes. The cold open was another "Fox & Friends" parody, and even though one will assume it was the usual stereotyping of right-wing rhetoric, this was the most accurate ribbing of the morning show yet. The only aspect they got wrong was Gretchen Carlson (VB) theorizing that Osama bin Laden was still alive; that was actually Steve Ducey (TK). Plus, the real Fox News Channel is barely covering the "News of the World" phonetap scandal, acknowledged by a "surprise" chat with News Corp. head honcho Rupert Murdoch (FA).

+ The second instance of SNL nailing the topical target was their Amazon.com/Mother's Day ad spoof. Fifty Shades of Gray is a wildly popular book at the moment, a modern-day Story of O without the scandal, a sensual response to all the Nicholas Sparks crap that normally flies off bookshelves. All I'm saying is, if you see a woman cracking that book open, you might want to clear the room.

+ Was Eli's performance in the "Chad Kevin Jeremy" sketch particularly inspired? No, because he read off cue-cards most of the evening. In this instance, however Manning didn't have to do much. This was a sketch that was more about the writing than the performances: a murder trial is broken wide open by the defendent's texts and internet history, revealing Chad's pitiful lack of a social life. A nice, slow burn.

+ I know Occupy Wall Street is back in the news, but regardless, where was that Herb Welch sketch six months ago?

HelloStuart

[55]May 8, 2012
    My thoughts, part two:

+ For everyone here that was hoping Sacha Baron Cohen might host this year, I hope you've been placated. The Update segment, which featured Cohen in character as Admiral General Aladeen, felt like a Middle Eastern reheat of Borat. In fact, I thought it forced itself along until the Scorsese cameo (another fantasy host). As for Update itself, it wasn't Seth's best effort but some of the jokes clicked.

+ Was it just me, or was "Miss Drag World" a complete mess? It was probably too much to ask Eli to play such an over-the-top character, even if having him play a drag queen seemed funny on paper.

+ Visually, Rihanna's two performances were a mess. From any other perspective, nobody cares because her new album will sell five million downloads. Her first song was a cluster****, an unintelligible dance jam that featured a giant spider web and a bunch of people gyrating and wandering around behind said cobweb. Her second song was a dull, gaudy slog through a "1001 Arabian Nights"-type harum.

+ As far as shows hosted by athletes go, it's hard to top Peyton Manning from Year 32. As in real life, Eli made no attempt to mimic his brother and followed his own route, and the result was a mixed bag. There were moments where he was game enough to hold his own against #19, but for half the show he evoked the likes of Lance Armstrong and Tom Brady as host. In short, Eli alternated between energetic and wooden with dizzying panache. The show itself was top-heavy with funny moments but otherwise unspectacular, a 5/10 in my book. At least we know Will Ferrell is a can't-miss.

drudager

[56]May 11, 2012
    • level: 13
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Still think that Seth should be have the Update chair after this show, Stu?

Titanically awful. Legendary. And that's not even the Cohen/Scorsese segment.

It was definitely a stinker. Probably one of the worst WU's in a long time. Notice Seth is so full of his smug self that he smiles & laughs at his own jokes.

drudager

[57]May 11, 2012
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

The show was okay. Had decent moments, but I started getting a bit bored. My favorite part was the Big Brother program, and when Eli said something like, "Take that Peyton!"

At least we'll never get confused with Rihanna being classy, subtle or dignified. Vulgar would be one word to describe it.

drudager

[58]May 11, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Was it just me, or was "Miss Drag World" a complete mess? It was probably too much to ask Eli to play such an over-the-top character, even if having him play a drag queen seemed funny on paper.

It was definitely awful. Imagine if they hadn't rehearsed it first....

JustinRAn

[59]May 12, 2012
    • level: 12
    A Women singing about Sex? Name 5 million examples; Oh wait, You could

Anyway, Liked:
    Fox & Friends
    Helga Lately
    What Is This?
    Mothers Day Commercial

Notes:
    - Considering how Vanessa was in more sketches than Kristen and Abby has now 2 possible recurring characters, Chances are the writers know Wiig's leaving and are trying to build up the other female cast members
    - Can Herb Welch die already, Or at least retire?
    - Did that lady in the Monologue know she was going to be on camera?
    - Anyone else find the texting sketch pointless?
    - The Dictator looks dumb, Sorry Seth's dad
    - Considering NBC owns E!, It doesn't really surprise them cross-promoting with E!
    - Anyone get the premise of the Q&A after Vanessa asked her question? Reminded me of the Robert DeNiro monologue
    - Thank You SNL for not having Shy Ronnie 3
    - Nothing says topical like Cheech and Chong

drudager

[60]May 17, 2012

[QUOTE="HelloStuart"] + Visually, Rihanna's two performances were a mess. From any other perspective, nobody cares because her new album will sell five million downloads. Her first song was a cluster****, an unintelligible dance jam that featured a giant spider web and a bunch of people gyrating and wandering around behind said cobweb. Her second song was a dull, gaudy slog through a "1001 Arabian Nights"-type harum. /QUOTE]

Apparently she blew off dress rehearsal. Maybe that explains it or the little stunt she tried to pull which would have never made it in the first place.

Rihanna Angers 'SNL' Producers by Missing Dress Rehearsal Rihanna was a no-show for her final rehearsal for "Saturday Night Live" last night -- which did not sit well with the show's producers, including head man Lorne Michaels ... TMZ has learned. According to our sources, RiRi called in sick for the dress rehearsal, which is done live in front of a studio audience right before the actual show. We're told Michaels takes dress rehearsals very seriously and was quite upset when Rihanna bailed at the last minute.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/06/rihanna-saturday-night-live-rehearsal/

drudager

[61]May 17, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    At least we know Will Ferrell is a can't-miss.

WOW. eek Never says "always".

HelloStuart

[62]May 17, 2012
    drudager wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    + Visually, Rihanna's two performances were a mess. From any other perspective, nobody cares because her new album will sell five million downloads. Her first song was a cluster****, an unintelligible dance jam that featured a giant spider web and a bunch of people gyrating and wandering around behind said cobweb. Her second song was a dull, gaudy slog through a "1001 Arabian Nights"-type harum.

Apparently she blew off dress rehearsal. Maybe that explains it or the little stunt she tried to pull which would have never made it in the first place.

Rihanna Angers 'SNL' Producers by Missing Dress Rehearsal Rihanna was a no-show for her final rehearsal for "Saturday Night Live" last night -- which did not sit well with the show's producers, including head man Lorne Michaels ... TMZ has learned. According to our sources, RiRi called in sick for the dress rehearsal, which is done live in front of a studio audience right before the actual show. We're told Michaels takes dress rehearsals very seriously and was quite upset when Rihanna bailed at the last minute.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/06/rihanna-saturday-night-live-rehearsal/

Than explain what was going on behind that giant spider web.

drudager

[63]May 18, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Than explain what was going on behind that giant spider web.

Stupid as stupid does? Chalk it up to cheesy music video ideas.

modernfamily120

[64]Jun 2, 2012
    • level: 20

I haven't watched much SNL, but this is my 2nd favorite episode. When I saw that Eli Manning was hosting SNL, i was like "wtf? a football player hosting Saturday Night Live?!?". I loved the episode. The biggest error I believe was the dictator on Weekend Update. He was over-obsessed with testicles and got annoying fast. Eli Manning was amazing. (Btw my favorite episode was Maya Rudolph)