Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Gabourey Sidibe/MGMT (4/24/10)

radrobd

[41]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 56

TheDiamondDog wrote:

I agree about the digital short. What the hell was that? No one could come up with a song that could include Gabby or the band? It made no sense.

I noticed Andy wasn't in the show last night, other than the digiital sketch. Maybe he's filming a movie, who knows, but at this point, it seems he's just phoning it in with his diigital sketches. Let's just act weird or do a strange voice or sing a song and that's enough. Last night's was prolly one of the worst. Samberg needs to cut down on his digital sketches. They've become almost a weekly thing, but the problem is they're more "miss" than "hit."

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thecomedianky

[42]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 19
    radrobd wrote:

TheDiamondDog wrote:

I agree about the digital short. What the hell was that? No one could come up with a song that could include Gabby or the band? It made no sense.

I noticed Andy wasn't in the show last night, other than the digiital sketch. Maybe he's filming a movie, who knows, but at this point, it seems he's just phoning it in with his diigital sketches. Let's just act weird or do a strange voice or sing a song and that's enough. Last night's was prolly one of the worst. Samberg needs to cut down on his digital sketches. They've become almost a weekly thing, but the problem is they're more "miss" than "hit."

andy was in there during the opening monologue.

radrobd

[43]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 56
    thecomedianky wrote:
    radrobd wrote:

TheDiamondDog wrote:

andy was in there during the opening monologue.

Okay, I deleted the ep from my DVR, but I thought I saw him at the beginning but I couldn't confirm it. Hmm, I wonder what happened to him during the rest of the show?

thefanof

[45]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 102
    Sketches get cut from the main show on Saturday every week so for all we know those two were scheduled to be in more. There's also the possibility that they were filming movies during the week and didn't have time to really meet with the writers and discuss any sketches.

HelloStuart

[46]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 63
    thefanof wrote:
    Sketches get cut from the main show on Saturday every week so for all we know those two were scheduled to be in more. There's also the possibility that they were filming movies during the week and didn't have time to really meet with the writers and discuss any sketches.

I gotta go with rishabhpb on this one. Odds are, they were in a bunch of sketches that were cut in the final dress.

Also, it should be noted that writer Hannibal Buress had a WU commentary that was a last-minute cut from the Phillippe/Ke$ha show, so there is a precedent of sorts here.

Pulch23

[47]Apr 26, 2010
    • level: 7
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thefanof wrote:

I gotta go with rishabhpb on this one. Odds are, they were in a bunch of sketches that were cut in the final dress.

Also, it should be noted that writer Hannibal Buress had a WU commentary that was a last-minute cut from the Phillippe/Ke$ha show, so there is a precedent of sorts here.

Stu! do you think they may join the cast or is this a one time deal?

TheDiamondDog

[48]Apr 26, 2010
    • level: 61

radrobd wrote:

TheDiamondDog wrote:

It is starting to seem as if they are forced out. When they appeared every once in a while, they were much more clever. Now it does seem that they are running out of ideas.

thefanof

[49]Apr 26, 2010
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thefanof wrote:

Yeah, that's where I was going. It was not necessarily an either or, I was just trying to examine all the possible reasons for them not being on the show much.

There could have also been a chemistry issue. Maybe they just felt that their style of humor didn't connect with Gabourey's (although no castmember really did, to be quite honest.)

Hopefully these last two episodes just mean they're saving the good sketches for Betty White.

HelloStuart

[50]Apr 26, 2010
    • level: 63
    Pulch23 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thefanof wrote:

Stu! do you think they may join the cast or is this a one time deal?

Tough to say. David Spade did a commentary on WU in Year 15, six months before he became a featured player, and Tom Schiller and Alan Zweibel both popped up on WU in the early days. On the other hand, Hugh Fink and Adam McKay both did bits on Update ten-odd years ago, and Dave Attell once had a commentary cut in the final dress.

thefanof

[51]Apr 26, 2010
    Yeah, John Mulaney had an appearance on Fallon doing stand-up so I think it was just the rare opportunity being given to him because they liked the material, than more of a tryout.

Like Stuart said, none of us really know what he's thinking or hoping from his career, or what SNL wants from him, but I'd imagine he's interested more in acting work and being a writer than being a cast member.

JB Smoove is a perfect example. He was a writer until 2007 while slowly launching a career for himself. He made a few appearances on the show, but nothing major.

bry456

[52]Apr 27, 2010
    • level: 19

I wonder if John Mulaney is slowing being "auditioned" into the position of the next Update anchor. It seems, from what I read, his appearance was a hit.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch this broadcast (NBC affiliate in my area pre-empted for severe weather coverage), but I take it this broadcast wasn't all that good-- from lazy writing to a nervous host.

Edited on 04/27/2010 11:35am