Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow/Cee Lo Green (1/15/11)

BaronOne

[21]Jan 15, 2011
    • level: 15

Excellent stuff tonight.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheDiamondDog

[22]Jan 16, 2011
    • level: 61

Twas a good show tonight. The skits were good, as was the music. I thought Gwyneth did a pretty good job.

ShinyHubCaps

[23]Jan 16, 2011
    • level: 10

I must begin by saying that I think SNL has been really weak lately, and all of the sketches have been predictable and not very funny.

BUT, this show was great sketch-wise.

"False History" was incredibly clever. I watched it five times and still found it funny every time. Then that was followed by the Fresh Prince sketch and the ESPN Deportes sketch... all very funny. It's been so long since I've seen an SNL sketch that I wanted to see again (and I DVR the show every week), but this week had three hilarious sketches I wanted to see again, all right in a row!

This was a very "Featured Players"-heavy episode, too, but that's OK because they're good. Jay Pharaoh is hilarious, and once I heard his Will Smith impression in his debut, I've been hoping for a Fresh Prince sketch, and he nailed it.

HelloStuart

[24]Jan 16, 2011
    • level: 63

Oh, a Bucks fan? Now our little clique has two Illinoisans (me and Justin), two Wisconsinites (Shiny and Melissa), and two New Brunswick-ers (BW and the seldom-seen Mr. Douwsma). Now we need a second Kentuckian for Solzy and a matching Nor'easter for Conner…

My thoughts:

+ Without specifically mentioning the Tucson massacre, tonight's cold open was a straightforward and somewhat opaque rebuke to Fox News Channel's yen for loud, partisan rhetoric. Greta's lip gag was cute, but the sketch itself was lagging until Bill busted out his James Carville impression and began to eat away at Suds' Glenn Beck. "They don't eat animals, because they're humans with fur…"

+ The latest "Secret Word" takes place in 1964, yet incorporates references to bra-burning (a fad from the early '70s) and Rex Reed (whose first published article was written three years later).

+ If you're going to use Pee-Wee Herman in a Digital Short, you absolutely have to incorporate the "Tequila" dance. Combined with the appearance by Chairy, that was more than enough to give tonight's short a thumbs-up. The filmed pieces may lack the low-fi simplicity of the early days, but I tip my hat to Andy for staying hip.

+ Between the Wizard of Oz parody with the neurotic Jewish stereotype, the It's a Wonderful Life spoof with a koshered Bedford Falls, and tonight's bar mitzvah celebrity impression showcase, is this the most Zionist season in recent memory? What's next, a DVD of Krav Maga bloopers?

+ Did anyone watch the record label sketch immediately preceding "Forget You" and wished, just for the hell of it, that somebody would drop an F-bomb? On that note, when was the last time a sketch led into a musical performance? I want to say Kanye West five years ago, but before that I'm not sure…

+ Seth's second amendment rant (dubbed "Constitution Corner") pretty much carried Update this week. Nothing could've topped that.

+ It would've been nice to see Cee-Lo Green perform "**** You" uncensored, but the law is the law, I suppose. Ironically enough, it's too bad his second song was in fact completely forgettable.

+ "False History," "Fresh Prince," and "ESPN Deportes" might've been the funniest three sketches in a row I've seen after Update in quite some time.

+ The Eliot Spitzer sketch was a textbook example of a ten-to-one sketch. Threadbare concept, obvious premise, predictable ending.

+ I noticed that some of you enjoyed this episode, but I'm in the "like" zone. The majority of the funny sketches were in the last half-hour of the show, that usual purgatory for conceptual material and time filler that proved to be a somewhat unlikely comedy goldmine tonight. Plus, the four newbies had a part in nearly every sketch; Paul was wonderful as the deadpan, cliché-spewing lead in "ESPN Deportes" and Jay continues to dazzle with his impressions. However, I rated the show as a 6 on the merit of the episode's show start and so-so musical guest.

BEAR DOWN!!!

BaronOne

[25]Jan 16, 2011

My thoughts

avmon

[26]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 16
    During the "SNL Ditigal Short" with Pee Wee Herman, did anyone half-expect when they were all saying a certain word just before drinking that that "bing" noise used on "Pee Wee's Playhouse" to signal the children in the homne audience to scream real loud with the TV characters doing the same to appear? That's what I was thinking when they did that. And, yes, Ms. Paltrow, did improve most of the skits though she still didn't make me very enthused about another "Garth and Kat" appearance...
    Edited on 01/17/2011 2:15pm
    Edited 2 total times.

avmon

[27]Jan 17, 2011
    Oh, and the Cold Open was very spon-on...
    Edited on 01/17/2011 2:16pm
    Edited 3 total times.

avmon

[28]Jan 17, 2011
    Okay, excuse the spelling mistakes of my last 2 posts as for some reason the edit button isn't working where I'm at.

ShinyHubCaps

[29]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 10

BaronOne wrote:

My thoughts

I've never read this blog before, nor do I know anything about you or your opinions personally, but I get a sense of these things based on your ratings. For me, Weekend Update was as unfunny as it's ever been, and you gave it an A-, and you give a B+ to one of the worst go-nowhere recurring sketches in that Secret Word game (it's essentially Celebrity Jeopardy with unknown celebrities and only one of the devices that made Celebrity Jeopardy funny). The "Forget You FCC" sketch was also incredibly predictable; why did people like it, because it was self-referential? Not worthy of an A+, for sure.

Maybe it's because I watch sports programming and understood the references, but ESPN Deportes sketch was one of the funniest of the night in my opinion. "False History" was the best sketch I've seen on SNL in several years, and you gave it an A, so that's understandable.

JustinRAn

[30]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 12
    I have a question to SNL;

Can SNL stop talking about David Patterson?

Am I the only one that's getting annoyed by this?

Hennes81

[31]Jan 18, 2011
    • level: 5

JustinRAn wrote:
    I have a question to SNL; Can SNL stop talking about David Patterson? Am I the only one that's getting annoyed by this?

I wouldn't need another WU commentary (specially because the appearance of Patterson himself was a good ending for it) but to use him for just a few seconds in a sketch - why not?

In general: Often they have characters which are only used in one sketch which is nearly the same every time they show it (Scared Straight, What up with that?, Secret Word, Garth&Cat,.......). Maybe with changing of the surroundings they might get some fresh ideas for them. The Spitzer/Patterson skit don't have to be the last time they try something new with old characters.

HelloStuart

[32]Jan 18, 2011
    • level: 63
    Hennes81 wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:
    I have a question to SNL: can SNL stop talking about David Paterson? Am I the only one that's getting annoyed by this?

I wouldn't need another WU commentary (specially because the appearance of Patterson himself was a good ending for it) but to use him for just a few seconds in a sketch - why not?

In general: Often they have characters which are only used in one sketch which is nearly the same every time they show it (Scared Straight, What up with that?, Secret Word, Garth & Kat,.......). Maybe with changing of the surroundings they might get some fresh ideas for them. The Spitzer/Patterson skit don't have to be the last time they try something new with old characters.

Plus, the former governor appeared outside of the usual Update context. It wasn't necessarily funny, but it was different.

BaronOne

[33]Jan 18, 2011

ShinyHubCaps wrote:

BaronOne wrote:

My thoughts

I've never read this blog before, nor do I know anything about you or your opinions personally, but I get a sense of these things based on your ratings. For me, Weekend Update was as unfunny as it's ever been, and you gave it an A-, and you give a B+ to one of the worst go-nowhere recurring sketches in that Secret Word game (it's essentially Celebrity Jeopardy with unknown celebrities and only one of the devices that made Celebrity Jeopardy funny). The "Forget You FCC" sketch was also incredibly predictable; why did people like it, because it was self-referential? Not worthy of an A+, for sure.

Maybe it's because I watch sports programming and understood the references, but ESPN Deportes sketch was one of the funniest of the night in my opinion. "False History" was the best sketch I've seen on SNL in several years, and you gave it an A, so that's understandable.

We all have different opinions, I guess. These are also first impressions too, so maybe I'd enjoy the ESPN sketch a lot more upon second viewing, who knows? I usually take a second glance once the repeat airs and then at the end of the season, everything is weighed out.

As for Weekend Update, it's been pretty damn consistently funny ever since Seth became the solo anchor.

thecomedianky

[34]Jan 29, 2011
    • level: 19
    JustinRAn wrote:
    I have a question to SNL;

Can SNL stop talking about David Patterson?

Am I the only one that's getting annoyed by this?
    the Kennedy family won't let them talk about Cuomo even though Cuomo and Kerry divorced a while back.

JustinRAn

[35]Nov 26, 2011
    • level: 12
    VH1 Has the Following:

- FOX News: Embracing Society
    - Monologue
    - Secret Word
    - Digital Short: Andy & Pee Wee's Night Out
    - Bar Mitzvah (PS, I wish they would bring back the Katy Perry Impression)
    - Weekend Update (Garth and Kat Left)
    - Cee Lo Green: Forget You (Angry the Sketch got Cut)
    - Spitzer Auditions
    - The Cape Spinoff's