Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Helen Mirren/Foo Fighters (4/9/11)

danharr

[23]Apr 9, 2011
    • level: 45

Good episode Mirren did great took a lot of chances I didn't expect from such an established serious actress and too think I was dry for most of it good job snl.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hirundine

[24]Apr 9, 2011
    • level: 26
    Tornado warnings covered up about 75% of this one for me.

Woodstein

[25]Apr 9, 2011
    • level: 14
    This was one of those episodes where the best sketches were in the last half hour of the show. I probably enjoyed "The Roosevelts", and "Perspectives Photo Studio" the most. Nothing else seemed to rise above the level of average, though. The Cold Open was one of the better Fred-as-the-President sketches, but the Digital Short felt especially phoned-in and the Best of Both Worlds talk show with Hugh Jackman was just stupid. Weekend Update was stronger than the last few go-arounds, but Kristen's guest commentary as the stewardess brought things to a screeching halt (I'm a sucker for Jean K. Jean, though).

JustinRAn

[26]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 12
    - I Enjoyed the Meta-Humor in the Show tonight (Especially the comments about Elton John Last Week)
    - Someone Tell me why Fred Armisen is still playing Obama?
    - Mort, Mort was good except I Wish the Writers would give Abby Other Impressions
    - Was Fred doing a Brooklyn accent during the "Frank Stein" Sketch?
    - The Fact that Glen Beck was not on the Show was Shocking
    - RETIRE JEAN K. JEAN
    - Lil' Blaster & DJ Supersoak Make me Laugh Again
    - I'm still trying to find out what the Bongo Sketch was about

Liked
    - Mort, Mort
    - Fox & Friends
    - Weekend Update: James Carville
    - Crunk Easter Festival
    - The Roosevelts

Mixed Feelings on the Rest of the Stuff

Stuff that'll Probably Get Cut
    - Mary Shelley, Shelly Elaine, Best of Both Worlds, Bongo's, and Maybe Perspective Photos

BaronOne

[27]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 15

JustinRAn wrote:
    - I Enjoyed the Meta-Humor in the Show tonight (Especially the comments about Elton John Last Week) - Someone Tell me why Fred Armisen is still playing Obama? - Mort, Mort was good except I Wish the Writers would give Abby Other Impressions - Was Fred doing a Brooklyn accent during the "Frank Stein" Sketch? - The Fact that Glen Beck was not on the Show was Shocking - RETIRE JEAN K. JEAN - Lil' Blaster & DJ Supersoak Make me Laugh Again - I'm still trying to find out what the Bongo Sketch was about Liked - Mort, Mort - Fox & Friends - Weekend Update: James Carville - Crunk Easter Festival - The Roosevelts Mixed Feelings on the Rest of the Stuff Stuff that'll Probably Get Cut - Mary Shelley, Shelly Elaine, Best of Both Worlds, Bongo's, and Maybe Perspective Photos

It's really getting old how you keep mentioning the Fred-as-Obama thing, man. We get it. You don't like it. Stop repeating yourself...

avmon

[28]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 16
    Watched the first 20 minutes which I like so far though that was a pretty weird "SNL Digital Short"...

TheDiamondDog

[29]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 61

That Roosevelt skit was one of the best of the season. I laughed so hard at that.

Show itself wasn't too bad. Helen really puts herself out there, which is quite impressive. Some of the stuff was kinda lame, but not that much.

Pretty damn good show.

stellarchick86

[30]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 32
    I really enjoyed it. For some reason I thought the stripclub sketch was really funny and I enjoyed the Roosevelt one too. The digital short I was kind of meh on but I usually am on those things. I also enjoyed the Fox & Friends sketch too. Mort I enjoyed but Im getting really tired of the Kardashian impressions. Theyre there once every 2 episodes, if not every episode, this season. Kinda meh on the Frankenstein sketch and monologue. Im surprised at how much she "put herself out there", a very good host! 9/10.
    Edited on 04/10/2011 4:35pm

HelloStuart

[31]Apr 10, 2011
    • level: 63
    My thoughts:

+ The most problematic sketch of the night ended up being the leadoff hitter. I respect that the writers have to stay on their toes with current events, but the sketch where President Obama (FA) admits that no one's happy with the budget compromise was hastily written and it showed. I liked the Kucinich and McCain jabs, but that meta moment where Obama admits that he's delaying SNL onto itself was uncharacteristically meta and largely unnecessary.
    + Jay Pharaoh? In a live sketch? Am I seeing things?
    + Boy, that "Fox & Friends" sketch took awhile to get going. Helen was funny as the xenophobic hillbilly, and so was the Chryon roll of corrections, but the rest was disposable. Has James Downey's conservative rage stifled any sharp jabs the cast and writers might want to take at Fox News?
    + Bill's James Carville impression is so much fun to watch. I love how each of his commentaries is written in the style of Del Close's "Harold" improv technique; there's three tangents based on a single theme and each one creates ideas and supports each other. Tonight, it was Lou Bega, eels, and gophers. What might come next?
    + Seth Meyers? In a ad parody after 2006? Am I seeing things?
    + God bless Foo Fighters. More than 15 years on, and they still play the same hook-heavy, meat and potatoes hard rock that shattered eardrums in the late '90s. Dave Grohl is such a team player and SNL favorite that he appears in a sketch nearly every time he's on the show (well, recently anyway). "Rope" is an all-time Foo tune, a hard charger alongside "Monkey Wrench" and "Low," but the album cut "Dear Rosemary" was no slouch, either.
    + Long-form, leisurely-paced, character-driven sketches in the 12:50 slot was a niche of all-time SNL great Marilyn Suzanne Miller, and "Bongo's Clown Room" was a 21st century extension of that concept. Michael Patrick O'Brien co-wrote this sketch -he bragged about it on Facebook- about a seedy strip club DJ on his bittersweet last night on the job. By the way, there really is a Kansas City branch of the Yakuza. Royal pride! + The strongest episodes so far this season have been light on recurring characters and carbon-copied sketches. This continued that pattern, but by a hairsbreadth; after the Obama cold open, there were no outright bad sketches but no home runs, either. "Fox & Friends" will eventually be recurring, I can sense it, but the sketch needs work. Dame Helen Mirren clearly had a lot of fun, though she only three or four "moments" in an otherwise cast-driven show. I would rate this somewhere between 6 and 6.5; not amongst the best shows of 2010-11 but diligent in its own right.

HelloStuart

[32]Apr 10, 2011
    Hirundine wrote:
    Tornado warnings covered up about 75% of this one for me.

Don't cry, Pikachu!

BaronOne

[33]Apr 10, 2011

HelloStuart wrote:
    My thoughts: + The most problematic sketch of the night ended up being the leadoff hitter. I respect that the writers have to stay on their toes with current events, but the sketch where President Obama (FA) admits that no one's happy with the budget compromise was hastily written and it showed. I liked the Kucinich and McCain jabs, but that meta moment where Obama admits that he's delaying SNL onto itself was uncharacteristically meta and largely unnecessary. + Jay Pharaoh? In a live sketch? Am I seeing things? + Boy, that "Fox & Friends" sketch took awhile to get going. Helen was funny as the xenophobic hillbilly, and so was the Chryon roll of corrections, but the rest was disposable. Has James Downey's conservative rage stifled any sharp jabs the cast and writers might want to take at Fox News? + Bill's James Carville impression is so much fun to watch. I love how each of his commentaries is written in the style of Del Close's "Harold" improv technique; there's three tangents based on a single theme and each one creates ideas and supports each other. Tonight, it was Lou Bega, eels, and gophers. What might come next? + Seth Meyers? In a ad parody after 2006? Am I seeing things? + God bless Foo Fighters. More than 15 years on, and they still play the same hook-heavy, meat and potatoes hard rock that shattered eardrums in the late '90s. Dave Grohl is such a team player and SNL favorite that he appears in a sketch nearly every time he's on the show (well, recently anyway). "Rope" is an all-time Foo tune, a hard charger alongside "Monkey Wrench" and "Low," but the album cut "Dear Rosemary" was no slouch, either. + Long-form, leisurely-paced, character-driven sketches in the 12:50 slot was a niche of all-time SNL great Marilyn Suzanne Miller, and "Bongo's Clown Room" was a 21st century extension of that concept. Michael Patrick O'Brien co-wrote this sketch -he bragged about it on Facebook- about a seedy strip club DJ on his bittersweet last night on the job. By the way, there really is a Kansas City branch of the Yakuza. Royal pride! + The strongest episodes so far this season have been light on recurring characters and carbon-copied sketches. This continued that pattern, but by a hairsbreadth; after the Obama cold open, there were no outright bad sketches but no home runs, either. "Fox & Friends" will eventually be recurring, I can sense it, but the sketch needs work. Dame Helen Mirren clearly had a lot of fun, though she only three or four "moments" in an otherwise cast-driven show. I would rate this somewhere between 6 and 6.5; not amongst the best shows of 2010-11 but diligent in its own right.

No mention of "The Roosevelts?" I thought that was a pretty funny bit. Or Mort Mort coming back?

HelloStuart

[34]Apr 11, 2011
    BaronOne wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    My thoughts: + The most problematic sketch of the night ended up being the leadoff hitter. I respect that the writers have to stay on their toes with current events, but the sketch where President Obama (FA) admits that no one's happy with the budget compromise was hastily written and it showed. I liked the Kucinich and McCain jabs, but that meta moment where Obama admits that he's delaying SNL onto itself was uncharacteristically meta and largely unnecessary. + Jay Pharaoh? In a live sketch? Am I seeing things? + Boy, that "Fox & Friends" sketch took awhile to get going. Helen was funny as the xenophobic hillbilly, and so was the Chryon roll of corrections, but the rest was disposable. Has James Downey's conservative rage stifled any sharp jabs the cast and writers might want to take at Fox News? + Bill's James Carville impression is so much fun to watch. I love how each of his commentaries is written in the style of Del Close's "Harold" improv technique; there's three tangents based on a single theme and each one creates ideas and supports each other. Tonight, it was Lou Bega, eels, and gophers. What might come next? + Seth Meyers? In a ad parody after 2006? Am I seeing things? + God bless Foo Fighters. More than 15 years on, and they still play the same hook-heavy, meat and potatoes hard rock that shattered eardrums in the late '90s. Dave Grohl is such a team player and SNL favorite that he appears in a sketch nearly every time he's on the show (well, recently anyway). "Rope" is an all-time Foo tune, a hard charger alongside "Monkey Wrench" and "Low," but the album cut "Dear Rosemary" was no slouch, either. + Long-form, leisurely-paced, character-driven sketches in the 12:50 slot was a niche of all-time SNL great Marilyn Suzanne Miller, and "Bongo's Clown Room" was a 21st century extension of that concept. Michael Patrick O'Brien co-wrote this sketch -he bragged about it on Facebook- about a seedy strip club DJ on his bittersweet last night on the job. By the way, there really is a Kansas City branch of the Yakuza. Royal pride! + The strongest episodes so far this season have been light on recurring characters and carbon-copied sketches. This continued that pattern, but by a hairsbreadth; after the Obama cold open, there were no outright bad sketches but no home runs, either. "Fox & Friends" will eventually be recurring, I can sense it, but the sketch needs work. Dame Helen Mirren clearly had a lot of fun, though she only three or four "moments" in an otherwise cast-driven show. I would rate this somewhere between 6 and 6.5; not amongst the best shows of 2010-11 but diligent in its own right.

No mention of "The Roosevelts?" I thought that was a pretty funny bit. Or Mort Mort coming back?

Okay, I'll admit "The Roosevelts" was pretty good, though at heart it just more liberal-conservative bickering. I don't think Mort Mort necessitated a comeback, though I liked the Kardashian joke.

thechosenonecj

[35]Apr 11, 2011
    • level: 7
    looks like I was the only one who didn't like this then. And to say some people loved the mort mort sketch, I just dont get it. I mean, what part of that sketch do you actually laugh at? (that was a serious question by the way because I genuinely dont know)

Hennes81

[36]Apr 11, 2011
    • level: 6

thechosenonecj wrote:
    And to say some people loved the mort mort sketch, I just dont get it. I mean, what part of that sketch do you actually laugh at? (that was a serious question by the way because I genuinely dont know)

Of course it's full of stereotypes but a good impression is always funny and they were all o.k. this time (some of them really good). The writing really isn't that great at Mort Mort because it's just a collection of one liners which deal about one aspect of the celebrities image; so the outcome is easily predictable (the gadaffi ending was just "Mel Gibson reloaded"). But like I said, a good impression brings a smile to my face for a few seconds. And if the writing isn't that great, it's o.k. because the skits are just .

Looks like the episode wasn't highly anticipated...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/04/11/saturday-night-live-with-helen-mirren-foo-fighters-scores-preliminary-2-5-adults-18-49-rating/88848

And I'm on your side: I didn't like the episode, even though Helen Mirren really tried everything she was asked to do. Foo Fighters were better then ever to me (but I'm not a fan of their music in general).

Edited on 04/11/2011 9:16am

thechosenonecj

[37]Apr 11, 2011
    • level: 7
    Hennes81 wrote:

thechosenonecj wrote:
    And to say some people loved the mort mort sketch, I just dont get it. I mean, what part of that sketch do you actually laugh at? (that was a serious question by the way because I genuinely dont know)

Of course it's full of stereotypes but a good impression is always funny and they were all o.k. this time (some of them really good). The writing really isn't that great at Mort Mort because it's just a collection of one liners which deal about one aspect of the celebrities image; so the outcome is easily predictable (the gadaffi ending was just "Mel Gibson reloaded"). But like I said, a good impression brings a smile to my face for a few seconds. And if the writing isn't that great, it's o.k. because the skits are just .

Looks like the episode wasn't highly anticipated...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/04/11/saturday-night-live-with-helen-mirren-foo-fighters-scores-preliminary-2-5-adults-18-49-rating/88848

And I'm on your side: I didn't like the episode, even though Helen Mirren really tried everything she was asked to do. Foo Fighters were better then ever to me (but I'm not a fan of their music in general).

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one then

and yeh I kinda see where you're coming from with the impression bit

BaronOne

[38]Apr 11, 2011

My thoughts

avmon

[39]Apr 11, 2011
    avmon wrote:
    Watched the first 20 minutes which I like so far though that was a pretty weird "SNL Digital Short"...
    Okay, I enjoyed it for the most part especially that Hugh Jackman talk show sketch with Ms. Mirren as Julie Andrews showing her dark side and "The Roosevelts" with that kiss between her and Abby Eliot. Wasn't too crazy about that last sketch though it was a nice piece about someone's last day on the job. Oh, and Hader's Carville impression was on fire again...

JustinRAn

[40]Apr 20, 2011
    • level: 12
    [QUOTE="avmon"]
    avmon wrote:
    ...I enjoyed it for the most part especially that Hugh Jackman talk show sketch with Ms. Mirren as Julie Andrews showing her dark side and "The Roosevelts" with that kiss between her and Abby Eliot...

Check out No Strings Attached; There's alot more of that in the film.

avmon

[41]Apr 21, 2011
    [QUOTE="JustinRAn"]
    avmon wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    ...I enjoyed it for the most part especially that Hugh Jackman talk show sketch with Ms. Mirren as Julie Andrews showing her dark side and "The Roosevelts" with that kiss between her and Abby Eliot...

I've actually seen that, so I know what you're referring to...

HelloStuart

[42]Apr 21, 2011
    avmon wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    avmon wrote:

I've actually seen that, so I know what you're referring to...

I'm still 80% sure that was Ray Goulding's granddaughter.