Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: January Jones/The Black Eyed Peas (11/14/09)

Woodstein

[21]Nov 3, 2009
    • level: 14
    I'm really not looking forward to BEP being on either. Their formula for writing a song now goes something like:

-take something a 4-year-old says
    -repeat it fifty times
    -cram in every late-00's pop music production cliche conceivable
    -spend eight months at #1
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheDiamondDog

[22]Nov 3, 2009
    • level: 61

HelloStuart wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Am I the only one complaining about BEP being musical guest? They've been on quite a few times, haven't they?
    Only once
    Yeah, they were last on six years ago. You're probably thinking of that ad spoof from when Jon Heder hosted in Year 31.

Maybe I was thinking of Fergie.

I swore they were on in 2007. Guess I am mistaken.

thefanof

[23]Nov 3, 2009
    • level: 102

thecomedianky wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:
    I'm used to being unfamiliar with hosts, but I've never even heard of this person....
    mad men is a hit show. jon hamm is the most popular cast member. but hit on cable is less viewers than hit on broadcast.
    "Mad Men" is a critical darling, but in all honesty the show has a devoted niche audience of about 1.9 million viewers a week. The rise of high-quality original programming on basic cable --at least, compared to premium cable and the five networks-- has spread out audience options that it's hard to tell what constitutes a hit anymore. A program that finishes 4th in its time slot (according to the Nielsens) could also be one of the most downloaded shows on Hulu. As for JJ- she may seem like a wild card to most of you, but she really is a gifted actress.
    2 million is considered a hit on cable.

Not necessarily. USA gets 4-5 for Monk and Psych, and 6-8 for Royal Pains and Burn Notice. HBO gets between 2-4 for most show and they claim with DVR and repeats True Blood gets over 10 million (I don't buy it, but that's a different argument altogether). Dexter has been getting close to 2 million recently as well.

Is the show a "hit" for AMC? Absolutely, but just because it's probably the most buzzed about cable show doesn't mean the show is that successful.

Woodstein

[24]Nov 4, 2009
    • level: 14
    I'm guessing it's related to awareness of the channel. USA and HBO are well-known cable channels that have been around for a long time, while AMC is only vaguely associated with Death Wish marathons.

avmon

[25]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 16
    Woodstein wrote:
    I'm guessing it's related to awareness of the channel. USA and HBO are well-known cable channels that have been around for a long time, while AMC is only vaguely associated with Death Wish marathons.
    I used to watch AMC (American Movie Classics) when it really lived up to its name back in the '80s as they showed various old movies from the '30s, '40s, and '50s (with some from the '60s and '70s), commercial-free. Now, they show them interrupted with commercials. At least I have tapes of the movies shown there from the '90s to watch and rewatch over again with interesting trivia from hosts Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney, George's father...

TheDiamondDog

[26]Nov 6, 2009

avmon wrote:
    Woodstein wrote:
    I used to watch AMC (American Movie Classics) when it really lived up to its name back in the '80s as they showed various old movies from the '30s, '40s, and '50s (with some from the '60s and '70s), commercial-free. Now, they show them interrupted with commercials. At least I have tapes of the movies shown there from the '90s to watch and rewatch over again with interesting trivia from hosts Bob Dorian and Nick Clooney, George's father...

I don't really watch AMC, but every now and then they put on an old horror movie that interests me.

danharr

[27]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 45
    Well I hope to hear meet me halfway at least we'll see what JJ can do not a mad men watcher.

thefanof

[28]Nov 8, 2009
    What's the over/under for how many Mad Men actors make cameos? I think Elisabeth Moss and John Slattery are locks, since they appeared on Jon Hamm's episode and the former is married to Fred Armisen.

Water78

[29]Nov 8, 2009
    • level: 47
    thefanof wrote:
    What's the over/under for how many Mad Men actors make cameos? I think Elisabeth Moss and John Slattery are locks, since they appeared on Jon Hamm's episode and the former is married to Fred Armisen.
    I had to look up who is actually in the show. According to the nbc page she is promoting Pirate Radio.

thefanof

[30]Nov 8, 2009
    Water78 wrote:
    thefanof wrote:
    I had to look up who is actually in the show. According to the nbc page she is promoting Pirate Radio.

That doesn't mean there won't be any Mad Men sketches/references.

As for Pirate Radio, it looks pretty awful but it does have The IT Crowd's Chris O'Dowd in it.

Water78

[31]Nov 8, 2009
    • level: 47
    thefanof wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    thefanof wrote:

That doesn't mean there won't be any Mad Men sketches/references.

As for Pirate Radio, it looks pretty awful but it does have The IT Crowd's Chris O'Dowd in it.
    I predict we'll see Hamm and Moss. The cast of SNL and MadMen has been spending alot of time with each other. I predict that Black Eyed Peas to perform I Gotta Feeling and Meet Me Halfway.

HelloStuart

[32]Nov 9, 2009
    • level: 63
    thefanof wrote:

I'm predicting none.

TheDiamondDog

[33]Nov 9, 2009

Water78 wrote:
    thefanof wrote:
    Water78 wrote:
    thefanof wrote:
    That doesn't mean there won't be any Mad Men sketches/references. As for Pirate Radio, it looks pretty awful but it does have The IT Crowd's Chris O'Dowd in it.
    I predict we'll see Hamm and Moss. The cast of SNL and MadMen has been spending alot of time with each other. I predict that Black Eyed Peas to perform I Gotta Feeling and Meet Me Halfway.

I am half expecting Boom Boom Pow, even though it is an older song.

whoaitsconner

[34]Nov 10, 2009
    • level: 21
    I predict BEPs will perform "I Gotta Feeling" and "Meet Me Halfway".

warqueen

[35]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 5

INTERESTING NEWS: According to Entertainment Tonight on their Friday show, they announced that the Black Eye Peas will perform 3 songs. Kevin Fraizer interviewed Will.i.am at the SNL Studio. http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/11/80952/index.html

Sounds like to me that they are considering a major possibilty that if January Jones performance skills are lackluster on the show; then having the BEP sing 3 songs is a good cover excuse to have 1 or 2 skits less for this episode.

I heard that Josh Duhamel wanted to be appear on the show, but Lorne nixed that, mainly because he was afraid that while Fergie was performing with her bandmates that somewhere backstage Dumahel would most likely bang one or more of the female cast members; with top likelyhood being the new f-bomb lesbian girl and/or the new Iranian girl, since the stripper in Atlanta he allegedly(high-probably)hooked up with looks alot like either one of them. Or in in a more specific observation, the stripper looks like a grown-up secret love child from the coitus union of the new f-bomb lesbian girl & the new Iranian girl.

BaronOne

[36]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 15
    warqueen wrote:

INTERESTING NEWS: According to Entertainment Tonight on their Friday show, they announced that the Black Eye Peas will perform 3 songs. Kevin Fraizer interviewed Will.i.am at the SNL Studio. http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/11/80952/index.html

Sounds like to me that they are considering a major possibilty that if January Jones performance skills are lackluster on the show; then having the BEP sing 3 songs is a good cover excuse to have 1 or 2 skits less for this episode.

I heard that Josh Duhamel wanted to be appear on the show, but Lorne nixed that, mainly because he was afraid that while Fergie was performing with her bandmates that somewhere backstage Dumahel would most likely bang one or more of the female cast members; with top likelyhood being the new f-bomb lesbian girl and/or the new Iranian girl, since the stripper in Atlanta he allegedly(high-probably)hooked up with looks alot like either one of them. Or in in a more specific observation, the stripper looks like a grown-up secret love child from the coitus union of the new f-bomb lesbian girl & the new Iranian girl.

That link didn't say anything about 3 songs.

Hirundine

[37]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 26
    Somebody's nervous.

TheDiamondDog

[38]Nov 14, 2009
    Man, fart jokes? Did a bunch of ten year olds write this skit?

Hirundine

[39]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 26
    Doesn't rely on being able to deliver lines.

HelloStuart

[40]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 63
    warqueen wrote:

Don't spread misinformation and please watch what you write.